How long to reach the speed of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the percentage of the speed of light that can be reached at different intervals while traveling at a constant acceleration of 9.80665 m/s^2. It is noted that it is not possible to reach the speed of light and the numbers may not be entirely accurate due to rounding.
Pragz

Homework Statement

Assuming you are traveling at 9.80665 m/s in space, how long would it take to reach light-speed?

My teacher told us the question was in-part a trick; we can never truly reach the speed of light, only get very close. She told us to simply give the percentage of the speed of light we'll be traveling at these intervals:

1 day, 7 days, 31 days,
1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years​

Homework Equations

Equation given: tanh(V/c)​

The Attempt at a Solution

1 day: .283%
7 days: 1.98%
31 days: 8.74%
1 year: 77.454%
2 years: 96.823%
5 years: 99.993%
10 years: 99.99%

And I think that's it. Something about by numbers seem... just, off. I might just be being paranoid.​

Physics news on Phys.org
How exactly is the speed increasing?

An uninhibited, constant acceleration produced by what I can assume to be rockets, thrusters, or space-gnomes blowing into external sails really hard.

But seriously, we were just told a constant acceleration of 9.80665 m/s that is never affected (slowed, skewed, or otherwise manipulated off its course of a direct line forward) by gravity, solar wind, etc.

Uot

Pragz said:

Homework Statement

Assuming you are traveling at 9.80665 m/s in space,

I think you meant "Assuming you are accelerating at 9.80665 m/s^2"

The Attempt at a Solution

1 day: .283%
7 days: 1.98%
31 days: 8.74%
1 year: 77.454%
2 years: 96.823%
5 years: 99.993%
10 years: 99.99%

And I think that's it. Something about by numbers seem... just, off. I might just be being paranoid.​

The last number can't be right. Your velocity keeps on increasing, even if it stays below c all the time.

willem2 said:
I think you meant "Assuming you are accelerating at 9.80665 m/s^2"

Whoops, my mistake. :redface:

willem2 said:
The last number can't be right. Your velocity keeps on increasing, even if it stays below c all the time.

Well, the number wasn't exactly 99.99. It was something along the lines of 99.996 with a bunch of trailing numbers. We were told to round to the thousandths, though why I did it to the hundredths in some of these I cannot remember. Probably related to the fact that the math was done at about 2 AM and the post shortly followed. XP

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light or faster. However, there are some theories that suggest particles called tachyons may be able to exceed the speed of light.

How close have we come to reaching the speed of light?

The fastest man-made object, the Parker Solar Probe, has reached speeds of about 213,200 miles per hour, which is about 0.00003% of the speed of light. The fastest recorded speed for a human, achieved by astronaut Jim Lovell during the Apollo 10 mission, was about 24,790 miles per hour, which is about 0.000004% of the speed of light.

What would happen if an object reached the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light because it would require infinite energy. However, if an object could travel at the speed of light, it would experience time dilation and length contraction, making distances and time appear to shrink from its perspective. It would also have infinite mass and require infinite energy to accelerate further.

What is the current research on achieving the speed of light?

Scientists are studying ways to increase the speed of spacecraft by using advanced propulsion systems and harnessing the power of nuclear fusion. There is also ongoing research on theoretical concepts such as wormholes and warp drive, which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. However, these ideas are still in the early stages of development and are currently only theoretical.