What are the correct conclusions for the change in entropy in this reaction?

In summary, the change in entropy for the reaction Ag(l) --> Ag(s) (1atm, 25°C) is ΔSsys < 0. The reaction becomes more orderly as it goes from a liquid to a solid, making option 1 the correct conclusion. However, the sign of ΔSuniv cannot be determined.
tensirk

Homework Statement

Which of the following conclusions is correct for the change in entropy for this reaction? You must find all of the correct answers.
Ag(l) --> Ag(s) (1atm, 25°C)

1. ΔSsys < 0
2. ΔSuniv > 0
3. The sign of ΔSsys cannot be determined.
4. ΔSsys > 0
5. The sign of ΔSuniv cannot be determined.
7. ΔSuniv < 0

Homework Equations

liquid --> solid = ΔS< 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

The reaction is more orderly because it goes from a liquid to a solid. I am pretty positive that number 1 is, therefore, correct. However, I am unsure of what happens to ΔSuniverse. Any suggestions/hints/information are much appreciated!
***It's been quite a loooong day and I have accidentally entered this as a Physics problem when it's actually Chemistry according to the subject I'm currently working on. Agh...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, I've figured it out. Nevermind to this question.

What is Basic Entropy Reaction?

Basic Entropy Reaction is a thermodynamic concept that refers to the measure of disorder or randomness in a system. It is also known as the second law of thermodynamics and states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

How is Basic Entropy Reaction measured?

Basic Entropy Reaction is measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K). It is often represented by the symbol S and can be calculated using the equation S = Q/T, where Q is the heat transferred and T is the temperature.

What factors affect Basic Entropy Reaction?

The factors that can affect Basic Entropy Reaction include the number of particles in a system, the temperature, and the degree of organization or disorder within the system. Generally, as the number of particles and the temperature increases, the entropy also increases.

What is the relationship between Basic Entropy Reaction and energy?

Basic Entropy Reaction is closely related to the concept of energy. As the entropy of a system increases, the amount of energy available to do work decreases. This is because in a more disordered state, the energy is more evenly distributed and less available for use.

Can Basic Entropy Reaction be reversed?

In theory, Basic Entropy Reaction can be reversed, but it would require an outside input of energy. This is because the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy will always increase over time, and it takes energy to decrease entropy and create a more ordered state.