(aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering) my difficult decision

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether to pursue Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. They are unsure about their scholarship requirements and whether they can switch majors without losing it. They also mention their interests in both fields and ask for suggestions on how to proceed. The conversation suggests considering a dual degree or consulting with a faculty advisor for more information.
A-Z Engineer
Hello! I know this is a popular topic. But I really need help. I am going to study Aerospace Engineering ( undergraduate) . The problem is that I have already applied for Aerospace Engineering, and now I am hesitating about Aero Eng. or Mech. Eng. I like Engineering.

My problem is that I am not sure about Aerospace Engineering, I like the aircrafts, spacecraft s, satellites, astronomy, all of this field. But I really like cars, Formula 1, new model cars, hybrid cars, trains, buildings, robotics, etc. I mean, when I see Mythbusters, they can do whatever they want, using electronics and mechanical engineering, not always aerospace engineering. OR when I see Discovery Turbo, about engines, cars, motors, there is a program call the "Project", they are engineers that made prototypes of new things, from a robot to help firefighters to a toboggan simulator. I want to do a lot of things, and Aerospace Engineering is very focused. Althought I like aerospace industry. But I think if I study ME first, I will have more oportunities.

I AM GOING TO STUDY WITH A SCHOLARSHIP, SO I CAN'T LOOSE THIS OPPORTUNITIE TO STUDY. MAYBE I CAN CHANGE WHILE I AM IN THE FIRST YEAR? I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SO I DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT HOW IS THIS THINGS IN An UNIVERSITY.

PLEASE IF YOU ARE STUDENT OF ME. OR AE. ANSWER THIS QUESTION. CAN I CHANGE FROM AeroEng. TO MechEng. , WITHOUT LOOSING MY SCHOLARSHIP, I MEAN I KNOW AE. WITH M.E HAVE THE SOME COURSES IN COMMON, AND IN THE FIRST YEAR THERE ISN'T TOO MUCH DIFFERENCE.

OR, I WAIT A COUPLE OF YEARS AND START STUDYING MECHANICAL ENGINEERING WHILE I AM IN THE JUNIOR YEAR OF A.E.

WHAT CAN I DO ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, all of the CAPS are unnecessary.

I have no idea what the conditions of your scholarship are and whether or not you will be allowed to change majors while on the scholarship. I would imagine that it shouldn't be much of a problem though especially switching between mech and aero.

Your best bet would probably be to do MechE for undergrad and try to take some aerospace related classes or get involved in aerospace related research to find out if you like it. If you do then you can try to do graduate school in aerospace engineering or get a job in the aero industry. Mechanical engineering is very broad which allows you to work in many different fields. And aero is really a concentrated version of mechanical engineering so mechanical will give you a good starting point for aero. And for the first two year, mechanical engineers and aerospace engineers take essentially the same courses. I was mechanical engineering in undergrad now I am an aerospace engineering graduate student and it has worked out really well for me.

Dual Degree

Most universities offer a dual degree within departments of the university. When you get this your degree will say B.S. in Aerospace AND Mechanical. At Princeton the only way you get either degree is as a package deal. I would need to know more about where you are studying to tell you definitely.

dont worry it will all come well and also think of what u are studying now

Rather than asking strangers about your scholarship, you need to consult with either your dean or another faculty advisor about switching majors. They can tell you straight up if there will be any problems with such a change. Just make sure today's whim doesn't lead to tomorrow's regret.

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering focuses on designing and building aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies, while mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. While they share some similarities, aerospace engineering is a more specialized field and typically involves more complex systems.

2. What are the key skills required for a career in aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering?

Some key skills for both fields include strong math and physics abilities, problem-solving skills, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. In aerospace engineering, knowledge of aerodynamics and materials science is also crucial, while mechanical engineering often involves knowledge of heat transfer and fluid mechanics.

3. How do I decide which field is right for me?

Consider your interests and strengths, as well as the specific industries and job opportunities within each field. Aerospace engineering may be a better fit for those with a passion for space exploration and aeronautics, while mechanical engineering may be a better fit for those interested in product design and development.

4. What are the job prospects and salary potential for each field?

Both aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering offer strong job prospects and competitive salaries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for aerospace engineers in 2020 was $118,610, while the median salary for mechanical engineers was $90,160.

5. Are there any common challenges or difficulties faced in these fields?

Both aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering can involve challenging and complex projects, as well as tight deadlines and high pressure situations. It is important to have strong time-management and communication skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team and adapt to changing circumstances.