Men's Hair Length: Long or Short?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, long hair is not something that is desired on a guy these days. It can contribute to the "dirt ball" or "creeper" look.

Do you prefer long or short hair on guys?

• Long

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Short

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Topher925
I haven't gotten a hair cut since October last year and my hair is startin to get a little long. Is long hair something that's desired on a guy a these days or does it contribute to much to the "dirt ball" or "creeper" look?

I'm not a big fan of getting my haircut. Something about giving a stranger $15 to make it look like I got in a fight with a lawnmower just isn't very appealing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I go once 2 months, ask for really short hairs but I never know or remember what size or what style. As my hair grow, in about a month I start getting cute comments ... I noticed short hairs are not attractive on me but I don't really care.

Topher925 said:
I'm not a big fan of getting my haircut. Something about giving a stranger $15 to make it look like I got in a fight with a lawnmower just isn't very appealing to me.

Get a new barber

I prefer short hair.

I like my short hair. My Jungian female anima agrees.

rootX said:
...but I never know or remember what size or what style...

My trips to the barber obey the uncertainty principle, I never know what my hair is going to look like after I attempt to communicate with the barber...

Bald is cuter...:wink:

My wife likes mine short so there really is no choice. :wink:

I prefer long hair, I'm not even sure why.

Topher925 said:
I haven't gotten a hair cut since October last year and my hair is startin to get a little long. Is long hair something that's desired on a guy a these days or does it contribute to much to the "dirt ball" or "creeper" look?

I haven't cut my hair since April of last year.

I am going for the beast appearance. :-D

I prefer long. But some short styles are ok, but not very short, hair should be 3-4 inches long on top, maybe a little shorter on the sides.

This is what I consider short hair.

[PLAIN]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5682/chrispg.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I prefer long. But some short styles are ok, but not very short, hair should be 3-4 inches long on top, maybe a little shorter on the sides.

This is what I consider short hair.

[PLAIN]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5682/chrispg.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

That guy needs a haircut!

I've dated guys with both long and short hair. Honestly, it doesn't make much of a difference, as long as it looks nice. I've dated guys with wild Jew-fros, guys with long, curly hair, guys with shoulder length, hasn't-been-washed-in-months grunge hair: it's all beautiful. And I've dated guys with short hair, too, including another Jewish guy who didn't want to grow out his wild, curly hair.

My husband, the only non-artist I've ever had a relationship with, has thinning hair, so he has to keep his hair short. Fortunately, he has a gorgeous face and great bone structure--that is, he's classically handsome--so he can pull off the minimal, just-short-of-shaving-it-all-off look.

If your going to have long hair, it has to be the right kind. Because when my hair is long, it's scary.

I keep it short, because I don't know what to do with them above a certain length. Not very interested in the structural chemicals either.

I have male-pattern baldness, so I just keep my head shaved. I started going bald around age 19, and after a few years of trying to keep a "normal" parted on the side haircut, I gave up and started getting my head shaved to nothing about once every 2 months. I got tired of doing that, so for the past 3 years, I just keep my head completely shaved with a razor about twice a week.

I usually have short hair, but recently I decided not to cut it for a while. It's been about 5 or 6 months and I don't know if I'm going to be able to be a long hair guy. I'm trying my best to keep it under control, but it's not only messy looking, but it's annoying when it gets in your eyes. I'll give it a few more months.

BobG said:
That guy needs a haircut!

Exactly! I looked at that picture and wondered when was the last time he took a haircut.

Evo said:

I didn't know you could go to barber and tell like I want about 3-4 inches long haircut

I would have measured mine only if I had a ruler near me .. I guess they are about 2 cm on top and 1 cm on sides and I am looking for a hair cut now. If I let my hairs grow too long, my head starts hurting from the hairs weight.

leroyjenkens said:
I usually have short hair, but recently I decided not to cut it for a while. It's been about 5 or 6 months and I don't know if I'm going to be able to be a long hair guy. I'm trying my best to keep it under control, but it's not only messy looking, but it's annoying when it gets in your eyes. I'll give it a few more months.
It helps to put one's hair in a ponytail, or similar design.

My hair is halfway down my back. I get an occassional trim to remove split ends and tidy it up a bit.

I saw a guy a few weeks ago with hair nearly to his hips. He also had dreadlocks. I have to imagine if he's ever had a haircut. His beard was short though.

Ok, so we've got some people that like short hair and some people that like long hair. The poll is tied at 4 votes for each.

So, what I'm getting from this thread is that its a total crap-shoot.

So you could go this route...

[PLAIN]http://www.rtvchannel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/extreme-celebrity-hairstyles-1.jpg [Broken]

Or draw the dividing line from ear to ear over the top of your head, shaved in front and long in back - an extreme mullet.

Ok... I will express a preference for short hair (I keep a chin length bob and prefer a guy with hair shorter than mine), but I know girls who prefer long-hair guys (including my brother's girlfriend... so he's now looking pretty Fabio, since she reinforced his natural tendency to go long). So yeah -- I'd say it's a crap shoot. I'd say stick with YOUR preference, and you'll get someone who likes YOU, or at least who is more likely to add you in your natural tendencies, rather than work against you.

aside: I had a friend who apparently had the above cut... but in high school. It grew out and was recut before we met, since she was past that stage of rebellion.

I prefer men with shorter hair. Makes them look more put together and established. I actually cut my brothers hair every two weeks and same for my dad :)

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I haven't cut my hair since April of last year.

Myself? Not since March, 2009. I figure I've saved over $350 in haircuts since then.

Ponytail, and I give it a thorough comb-through with hot water rinse every day. That's about all it needs, aside from the occasional wash and conditioner.

1. What are the benefits of having long hair for men?

Long hair can provide a variety of benefits for men. It can help to keep the head and neck warm in colder weather, provide protection from the sun, and even serve as a natural cushion for the head. Additionally, long hair can be styled in various ways, allowing for versatility in appearance.

2. Is long hair more difficult to maintain for men?

Maintaining long hair does require some effort, but it is not necessarily more difficult than maintaining short hair. Long hair may need to be washed and conditioned more frequently, and styling may take more time, but with proper care and the use of good hair products, it can be manageable for men.

3. Are there any cultural or societal beliefs associated with men having long hair?

Throughout history, various cultures and societies have had different beliefs surrounding men's hair length. In some civilizations, long hair was seen as a symbol of strength and masculinity, while in others, it was associated with femininity or rebellion. In modern times, these beliefs are not as prominent, and men are free to choose the hair length that they feel comfortable with.

4. Can long hair have an impact on a man's professional life?

In some industries, long hair may still be seen as unprofessional or inappropriate for men. However, in many workplaces, there is a growing acceptance and even appreciation for men with long hair. Ultimately, it depends on the company and its specific dress code or policies.

5. Is there a specific age or stage in life when men should consider growing out their hair?

There is no set age or stage in life when men should grow out their hair. It is a personal choice and can be influenced by factors such as hair texture, facial features, and personal style. Some men may choose to grow out their hair in their teenage years, while others may do so later in life. It ultimately depends on the individual and what they feel comfortable with.