Make Electric Coils Resonate: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coils
In summary: You would need to consult a ferrite or powdered iron core manufacturer to get help designing a coil for the Earth's Schumann resonance.
Jdo300
Hello, I have kind of an odd question here. I was wondering how to make an electric coil that will naturally resonate at a perticular frequency. I am a novice when it comes to electronics so I'm hopeing that someone can explain this to me.

I also have another relate question. I heard somewhere that the Earth has an electromagnetic field that resonates at a perticular frequency (I've heard the phenomenia referred to as Schunmen Resonance). Is this in deed true? If so, I wanted to try and make a coil that would resonate with this 'natural' frequency. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's not an odd question at all. It turns out that ALL coils will resonate at some frequency. That's because there is always some capacitance between turns and also stray capacitance to ground. The combination of these capacitances and the inductance of the coil form an LC circuit which will resonate. An example is a Tesla Coil secondary - the secondary will have a very sharply defined natural frequency that will be a function of its diameter, length, and number of turns.

On your related question - you are indeed correct. The Schumann resonance is the natural frequency of the Earth - ionospheric cavity. Powerful lightning strokes can excite this cavity, resulting in a degree of "ringing" that can be detected. However, the energy loss of this resonating system is rather high, so the ringing (if you could hear it) would be less like that of a bell and more like a dull "thunk"... :smile:

-- Bert --

BertHickman said:
That's not an odd question at all. It turns out that ALL coils will resonate at some frequency. That's because there is always some capacitance between turns and also stray capacitance to ground. The combination of these capacitances and the inductance of the coil form an LC circuit which will resonate. An example is a Tesla Coil secondary - the secondary will have a very sharply defined natural frequency that will be a function of its diameter, length, and number of turns.

On your related question - you are indeed correct. The Schumann resonance is the natural frequency of the Earth - ionospheric cavity. Powerful lightning strokes can excite this cavity, resulting in a degree of "ringing" that can be detected. However, the energy loss of this resonating system is rather high, so the ringing (if you could hear it) would be less like that of a bell and more like a dull "thunk"... :smile:

-- Bert --

Thank you for your reply. Just curious, how would I go about calculating the dimensions of the coil and size wire I should use for a coil that could naturally resonate at the Earth's frequency. Could you possibly point me to some formulas or something I could use? My goal would be to make the coil as small as possible. Also would it help if I had the coil wound on part of a circular core like a toroid? This is for a oddball project that I am working on (Not associated with radio antennas).

Making a coil that self-resonates at 7 Hz would require a coil of truly Herculean proportions - NOT practical. There are a number of Tesla Coil design tools that can estimate the self-resonant frequency of a secondary coil. An easy to use, and accurate, program is Bart Anderson's on-line JavaTC program. You can simply fill in the parameters for a typical secondary coil and have JavaTC solve for the self resonant frequency (and other parameters as well). The program works for helical, flat spiral, or conical coils, but not toroidal coils. The program is here:
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

A toroidal coil would provide you with significantly more inductance when wound around a toroidal ferromagnetic core (ferrite, iron powder, or silicon steel laminations). You would probably need to use one of the design programs offered by some of the ferrite or powdered iron core manufacturers to help you solve for the inductance. By adding a discrete capacitor across the coil, you can also lower the overall resonant frequency of the LC circuit, and an LC circuit that uses a discrete capacitor and ferrite core inductor could be designed for 7 Hz using reasonably sized components. The frequency of an LC circuit can be calculated as follows:

F = 1/(2*pi*(Sqrt(LC)) Hz

(where L = inductance in Henries and C = Capacitance in Farads)

1. How can I make my electric coils resonate?

To make electric coils resonate, you will need to first determine the resonant frequency of your coil. This can be done by using an oscilloscope or a frequency meter. Once you have the resonant frequency, you can adjust the capacitance and inductance of the coil to match the frequency, which will cause it to resonate.

2. What is the purpose of making electric coils resonate?

Making electric coils resonate can have several purposes. It can be used to tune a radio receiver to a specific frequency, amplify signals, or create a magnetic field for induction heating. It is also commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted frequencies.

3. Can any type of coil be made to resonate?

Yes, any type of coil can be made to resonate as long as it has inductance and capacitance. However, the resonant frequency may vary depending on the type and size of the coil, so it is important to calculate the resonant frequency before attempting to make it resonate.

4. How do I know if my electric coil is resonating?

You can tell if an electric coil is resonating by measuring the voltage across it. When a coil is resonating, the voltage will be at its peak, indicating a high level of energy. You can also use an oscilloscope to observe the waveform and look for a sharp peak, which indicates resonance.

5. Is it dangerous to make electric coils resonate?

No, it is not dangerous to make electric coils resonate as long as you follow safety precautions and use proper equipment. However, if the coil is connected to a high voltage source, there is a risk of electric shock, so it is important to take necessary precautions and have proper training before attempting to make a coil resonate.