Making Electric Coils & Schumann Resonance

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coils
In summary: Can you tell me if this is true and if so, how?I'm trying to do an experiment where I have a toroid core and a coil that is tuned to resonate at the 7.8Hz frequency, not because of any electrical energy that I supply to the coil but jus from the radio signald in the air causing it. My next test was to see what would happen if I stuck a magnet up to the coil or just somewhere on the toroid core (which would be made of a ferromagnetic material). I heard somewhere that doing this causes the coil to resonate at a higher frequency like a circulator (which I am still learning about). Can you tell me if this is true and if so, how?
Jdo300
Hello, I have kind of an odd question here. I was wondering how to make an electric coil that will naturally resonate at a perticular frequency. I am a novice when it comes to the associated physics so I'm hopeing that someone can explain this to me.

I also have another related question. I heard somewhere that the Earth has an electromagnetic field that resonates at a perticular frequency (I've heard the phenomenia referred to as Schunmen Resonance). Is this in deed true? If so, I wanted to try and make a coil that would resonate with this 'natural' frequency. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jdo300 said:
Hello, I have kind of an odd question here. I was wondering how to make an electric coil that will naturally resonate at a perticular frequency. I am a novice when it comes to the associated physics so I'm hopeing that someone can explain this to me.

I also have another related question. I heard somewhere that the Earth has an electromagnetic field that resonates at a perticular frequency (I've heard the phenomenia referred to as Schunmen Resonance). Is this in deed true? If so, I wanted to try and make a coil that would resonate with this 'natural' frequency. Any help is appreciated.

There's tons of crank sites about the Schumann resonance, the only halfway decent non-cranky web reference I found was

here

Since it's at 7.8 hz, you would need a very large coil and a big capacitor to construct an LC resonant circuit.

the resonant frequency will be 1/(2*Pi*sqrt(L*C))

You will want 2*pi*f*L to be >> than the resistance of the coil to have a reaonably sharp filter (high Q).

You'd probably be better off with other methods than a physical LC filter if you were seriously interested in studying the phenomenon though. (You can build active filters with op amps at this frequency, you could probably even sample the waveform and use a computer to due the filtering / analysis numerically). Either of these methods will require non-trival electronics knowledge though.

There are some formulas for the inductance of a solenoid

here

as far as your original question goes. You would probably wind the inductor yourself, but buy the capacitor, if you proceed with your original plan.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am wondering, is it possible to build a coil that will resonate at the frequency without the use of a capacitor? And how big a coil would one need to be able to resonate at this frequency? I would ideally like to make it as small as possible but I could use different gagues of wire and such if that would help. Also, would putting the coil on something like a ferromagnetic toroidal core help any? I'm wotking on an oddball project and that's why I mentioned the toroid. The coil would only be wound on part of the core, not all of it.

I am wondering, is it possible to build a coil that will resonate at the frequency without the use of a capacitor?

No. An inductor needs a capacitor to form a resonant tank.

Sorry, that's just the way it works.

Integral said:
No. An inductor needs a capacitor to form a resonant tank.

Sorry, that's just the way it works.

Hmmm.. that makes sense I suppose. But just to make sure that I understand this, would a capacitor be needed if the source causing the coil to resonate was from the air (like a radio wave)? THe setup I am making would not need to amplify the signald but just get the coil and the toroid to oscilate back and forth with the frequency of the source. Is it possible to have a sort of inductive oscilator where the only thing really making the coil do anyting is the already oscilaring resonance energy in the air? I'm sure I'm probably explaining this wrong. BUt ultimately, I'm trying to do an experiment where I have a toroid core and a coil that is tuned to resonate at the 7.8Hz frequency, not because of any electrical energy that I supply to the coil but jus from the radio signald in the air causing it. My next test was to see what would happen if I stuck a magnet up to the coil or just somewhere on the toroid core (which would be made of a ferromagnetic material). I heard somewhere that doing this causes the coil to resonate at a higher frequency like a circulator (which I am still learning about).

1. What is the purpose of making electric coils?

The purpose of making electric coils is to create a magnetic field that can be used in various applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. The coils are typically made from conductive materials, such as copper, and are wound in a specific pattern to produce a desired magnetic field.

2. How can I make my own electric coils?

To make your own electric coils, you will need a spool of wire, a power source, and a cylindrical object to wrap the wire around. Start by wrapping the wire tightly around the cylindrical object, making sure to keep the coils close together. Once you have the desired number of coils, remove the object and secure the ends of the wire to create a complete circuit. You can then connect the coil to a power source to test its magnetic field.

3. What is the Schumann Resonance and how is it related to electric coils?

The Schumann Resonance is a natural electromagnetic frequency that exists in the Earth's atmosphere. It is created by the interaction of lightning strikes and the Earth's surface. This resonance has been found to have a beneficial effect on living organisms, and some researchers believe that electric coils can mimic this frequency and provide similar benefits.

4. Can electric coils be used for healing purposes?

While there is some research suggesting that electric coils may have healing properties, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support this claim. Some alternative medicine practitioners use electric coils in their treatments, but more research is needed to determine their effectiveness.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with electric coils?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when working with electric coils. First, make sure to use insulated gloves and tools to avoid electric shock. It is also important to be aware of the power source and ensure that it is turned off when handling the coils. Additionally, do not touch the coils while they are connected to a power source, as this can be dangerous. If you are unsure about how to safely handle electric coils, it is best to seek guidance from a professional.