Why Do Objects P and Q Have Different Times to Reach Their Peak?

In summary, two objects P and Q are thrown vertically up, with P being thrown first and Q being thrown 3 seconds later with the same initial speed of 20m/s and at the same position. The time for object P is 3.54s and for object Q is 0.54s. To find the time when both objects are at the same position, we can use the displacement formula and solve for t, which gives us a value of 3.5s. The velocity for object P is -14.7m/s and for object Q is 14m/s, which can be found by plugging in the values of u, a, and t in the formula v=u+at.
stupif
an object, P is thrown vertically up and after 3s later another object ,Q is thrown up with the same initial speed of 20m/s and at the same position. find:
a) the time, answer: [T][/P]= 3.54s, [T][/Q]= 0.54s

2. i use this formula v=u + at
v=0 , u=20m/s a=9.8 ,t=?
but my answer is 2.04s

anyone helps me~thank you

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding the question. Could you write the question out in full? What time are you referring to?

find the time for object p and time for object Q

answer is time for object p is 3.54s, time for object Q is 0.54s

For what positions of P and Q, you want the time? :confused:
Like, do you want the time when the body reaches the ground or somewhere else?
Specify the positions and correct your question. I don't understand what you have written like this:-
[T][/P] and [T][/Q].

Object P is going to reach a maximum height and then fall back down to the ground again.

Object Q will be thrown 3 seconds later, at which point Object P will be returning to the ground.

I believe he wants to find the point in time at which Object P and Object Q are at the same height above the ground.

nayfie said:
Object P is going to reach a maximum height and then fall back down to the ground again.

Object Q will be thrown 3 seconds later, at which point Object P will be returning to the ground.

I believe he wants to find the point in time at which Object P and Object Q are at the same height above the ground.

I think you are right because when i tried to solve it as you said, i got the answer which stupif has given in the main post.

It would go like this:-
(I am taking g=10m/s2 for easy calculation)

Since you want to find out the time when both the bodies are at same position, therefore there displacement is same. Let the displacement of Object P be s1 and Object Q be s2.

(initial velocity is denoted by u, here accceleration is negative since g is always downwards.)
Therefore,
s1 = s2
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]ut-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2=u(t-3)-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]a(t-3)2

Plugin the values and solve, you will get t=3.5s. (Since i have taken g=10m/s2)
Solve for t-3 and you will get 0.5s.
Done..! :wink:

sorry...that is the information i had...
and thank you, i got it.
but i wonder why my solution can't get the answer?
can someone explain to me why this formula can't use, v=u + at

stupif said:
sorry...that is the information i had...
and thank you, i got it.
but i wonder why my solution can't get the answer?
can someone explain to me why this formula can't use, v=u + at

We can't use the formula v=u+at becuase both the objects doesn't reach their max height in 2.04s. Object Q is thrown three seconds later. Let's visualise:-

Object P is thrown and attains the max. height in 2.04s. But still object Q is not thrown. Now the object P comes downwards and after 0.96s, Object Q is thrown upwards. Now object P is coming downwards and Object Q is going upwards. At one point they will meet each other and at that point their Displacement is going to be same.

now the second question is to find the velocity of P and Q. answer is velocity of P is -14.7m/s, velocity of Q is 14m/s

i use this formula v=u +at
but i can't get the answer.
v=?
u= 20m/s
a=9.8m/s2
t=3.54s

stupif said:
now the second question is to find the velocity of P and Q. answer is velocity of P is -14.7m/s, velocity of Q is 14m/s

i use this formula v=u +at
but i can't get the answer.
v=?
u= 20m/s
a=9.8m/s2
t=3.54s

Now we have got the time for both the objects, so you need to plugin the values of Object P and Object Q in the formula v=u+at.

Why you didn't get the answer? Did you take care of the signs?

ya. i got it. sorry for asking such a easy question...and thank you very much

stupif said:
ya. i got it. sorry for asking such a easy question...and thank you very much

Glad you got it! :smile: And your welcome!

1. What is a free falling object?

A free falling object is an object that is falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that it is not being acted upon by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How does the acceleration of a free falling object change?

The acceleration of a free falling object remains constant at 9.8 meters per second squared, regardless of the object's mass or initial velocity. This is known as the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the speed of a free falling object?

The speed of a free falling object is affected by the force of gravity, the mass of the object, and the presence of any air resistance or friction. Objects with a larger mass will experience a greater force of gravity, causing them to fall faster.

4. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by a free falling object?

The formula for calculating the distance traveled by a free falling object is d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a free falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed of a free falling object. This is because it creates a force that opposes the object's motion, causing it to reach a terminal velocity where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.