Question about grp of order 6

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
In summary: K, it follows that h'h'' = e = kk'' since H \cap K = \{ e \}. Thus h=h' and k=k'.In summary, Lemma states that a group G of order 6 can only have one element of order 3. This is proven by considering two elements of order 3, x and y, and their respective subgroups H and K. If H \cap K = \{ e \}, then the product of all elements in H and K can only yield unique elements, therefore there can only be one element of order 3 in G. This is shown by using cancellation laws and proving that if hk=h'k', then h=h' and k=k', which contradicts
Samuelb88
Lemma. A group [itex]G[/itex] of order 6 can have only one element of order 3.

Pf. Suppose [itex]G[/itex] has two elements of order 3. Call these elements [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. Let [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] be the subgroups generated by [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] resp. Then [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex] and therefore [itex]G[/itex] can have only one subgroup of order 3.

I'm reading over my notes from class and I'm confused on the reasoning here. Why does [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex] imply that [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many elements does

[tex]HK=\{hk~\vert~h\in H,k\in K\}[/tex]

have if [itex]H\cap K=\{e\}[/itex]. That is, can you find more than 6 elements in this group?

Hi micromass.

Let [itex]H = \{ e, x, x^2 \}[/itex], and let [itex]K = \{ e, y, y^2 \}[/itex]. If [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], then [itex]HK = \{ e, xy, x^2y, x^2y, x^2y^2, yx, yx^2, y^2x, y^2x^2 \}[/itex] and [itex]|HK| = 9[/itex]. And since [itex]e, x, x^2, y, y^2[/itex] are unique, therefore there products constitute unique elements. Thus [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3.

Samuelb88 said:
Hi micromass.

Let [itex]H = \{ e, x, x^2 \}[/itex], and let [itex]K = \{ e, y, y^2 \}[/itex]. If [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], then [itex]HK = \{ e, xy, x^2y, x^2y, x^2y^2, yx, yx^2, y^2x, y^2x^2 \}[/itex] and [itex]|HK| = 9[/itex]. And since [itex]e, x, x^2, y, y^2[/itex] are unique, therefore there products constitute unique elements. Thus [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3.

No, that's not correct. Why can't xy=yx, for example?? Furthermore, you forgot x,y,x2 and y2.

Let's consider this set:

[tex]\{e,x,x^2,y,xy,x^2y,y^2xy^2x^2,y^2\}[/tex]

Can you show that all of these elements are distinct from each other??

Bummer. That was my wishful reasoning there. Well by cancellation laws, I can determine that:

1. [itex]x \neq x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, this would imply [itex]x=e[/itex], but [itex]x[/itex] has order 3.
2. [itex]x \neq y[/itex], by assumption.
3. [itex]x \neq xy[/itex] since [itex]y \neq e[/itex].
4. [itex]x \neq x^2 y[/itex] since if they were equal, by cancellation laws, it would follow that [itex]x^{-1} = x^2 = y[/itex], which can't happen since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.
5. [itex]x \neq y^2 x y^2 x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, it would follow that [itex]y=e[/itex].
6. [itex]x \neq y^2[/itex] since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.

A argument that the other elements are not equal is similar.

Samuelb88 said:
Bummer. That was my wishful reasoning there. Well by cancellation laws, I can determine that:

1. [itex]x \neq x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, this would imply [itex]x=e[/itex], but [itex]x[/itex] has order 3.
2. [itex]x \neq y[/itex], by assumption.
3. [itex]x \neq xy[/itex] since [itex]y \neq e[/itex].
4. [itex]x \neq x^2 y[/itex] since if they were equal, by cancellation laws, it would follow that [itex]x^{-1} = x^2 = y[/itex], which can't happen since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.
5. [itex]x \neq y^2 x y^2 x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, it would follow that [itex]y=e[/itex].
6. [itex]x \neq y^2[/itex] since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.

A argument that the other elements are not equal is similar.

Uuuh, ok, that's good. But you can do things a lot easier. We just need to prove that

[tex]hk\neq h^\prime k^\prime[/tex]

for h,h' in H and k,k' in K. But if equality holds then

[tex]h^\prime h =k^\prime k\in H\cap K[/tex]

that's what your professor wants you to do.

Okay, I think I see how to do this. Suppose [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. I want to suppose that there exists [itex]h, h' \in H[/itex] and [itex]k, k' \in K[/itex] such that [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex]. It follows that [itex]h^{-1}h' = kk'^{-1}[/itex]. Let [itex]h'' = h^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]k'' = k'^{-1}[/itex] and get [itex]h'' h' = k k''[/itex]. But this would imply both [itex]h'' h[/itex] and [itex]k k''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], a contradiction. How does this look?

Samuelb88 said:
Okay, I think I see how to do this. Suppose [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. I want to suppose that there exists [itex]h, h' \in H[/itex] and [itex]k, k' \in K[/itex] such that [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex]. It follows that [itex]h^{-1}h' = kk'^{-1}[/itex]. Let [itex]h'' = h^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]k'' = k'^{-1}[/itex] and get [itex]h'' h' = k k''[/itex]. But this would imply both [itex]h'' h[/itex] and [itex]k k''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], a contradiction. How does this look?

Why is this a contradiction? Why can't both h''h and k'' be in [itex]H\cap K[/itex]?

I was thinking that it was contradiction to my assumption that [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], but now I realize that [itex]h^{-1} h'[/itex] could equal the identity. But it seems strange to me that for different elements [itex]h, h', k, k'[/itex] that if [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex] then [itex]h h'^{-1}[/itex] could be the identity because wouldn't that be saying h=h' and k=k'? That is why I thought that if I showed that [itex]hk=h'k'[/itex] implied [itex]h'' h'[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belonged to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it would contradict my supposition since I was assuming [itex]h'' h' \neq e[/itex].

Last edited:
Samuelb88 said:
I was thinking that it was contradiction to my assumption that [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], but now I realize that [itex]h^{-1} h'[/itex] could equal the identity. But it seems strange to me that for different elements [itex]h, h', k, k'[/itex] that if [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex] then [itex]h h'^{-1}[/itex] could be the identity because wouldn't that be saying h=h' and k=k'? That is why I thought that if I showed that [itex]hk=h'k'[/itex] implied [itex]h'' h'[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belonged to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it would contradict my supposition since I was assuming [itex]h'' h' \neq e[/itex].

Yes, indeed, so if hk=h'k', then you have h=h' and k=k'. Wasn't this what you needed to show?

So what you're saying is instead of citing a contradiction, what I should of concluded from my proof above that since [itex]h'h''[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it follows that [itex]h'h'' = e = kk''[/itex] since [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. Thus [itex]h=h'[/itex] and [itex]k=k'[/itex].

Samuelb88 said:
So what you're saying is instead of citing a contradiction, what I should of concluded from my proof above that since [itex]h'h''[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it follows that [itex]h'h'' = e = kk''[/itex] since [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. Thus [itex]h=h'[/itex] and [itex]k=k'[/itex].

Yes!

Thank you very much for all your help, micromass!

1. What is a group of order 6?

A group of order 6 refers to a mathematical concept where there are 6 elements in a set and a defined operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element in the set. This operation must also satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and identity element.

2. How many different groups of order 6 are there?

There are two main types of groups of order 6: cyclic groups and non-cyclic groups. Cyclic groups of order 6 have a generator element that can generate all 6 elements in the group. Non-cyclic groups of order 6 can be further divided into two subtypes: abelian and non-abelian groups. There are two non-isomorphic (structurally different) cyclic groups of order 6, and three non-isomorphic non-cyclic abelian groups of order 6.

3. What is the identity element in a group of order 6?

The identity element in a group of order 6 is the element that, when combined with any other element in the group, produces that same element. For example, in a group of integers modulo 6 with addition as the operation, the identity element is 0, since 0 + 3 = 3 and 0 + 5 = 5, and so on.

4. Can a group of order 6 have more than one identity element?

No, a group of order 6 cannot have more than one identity element. The identity element must be unique in a group, as it serves a crucial role in the defining properties of a group. If there were multiple identity elements, it would violate the closure property of a group.

5. How are groups of order 6 used in real-world applications?

Groups of order 6, and groups in general, have many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and cryptography. For example, in chemistry, symmetry groups of order 6 are used to classify molecules, and in computer science, finite groups are used in error-correcting codes. Groups of order 6 also have applications in group theory, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups and their subgroups.