Cannot decipher and solve limits help

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: Therefore, the limit is proven to exist. In summary, the concept of limit is defined as follows: If given an arbitrary small value e > 0, there exists a corresponding small region around a point c, represented by d > 0, such that the distance between all points in this region and the limit value L is less than e. This is a formalization of the intuitive idea of a limit and can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition.
semidevil
this is very elemetary, but I'm not following the logic at all. I'm trying to explain to myself after reading the book defn, but still, no luck.

Ok, so the defintion of limit is If Given e > 0, there exists a d > 0 such that if x belongs to A and 0 < |x- c| < d, then |f(x) - L| < e.

here, e = epsilon, and d = delta.

ok, so I'm explaining this to myself as, " if I let e > 0. I can find a delta > 0, that if x is in a, and x - c(with x not = c) is less then delta, then f(x) - L < e.

So when I do a problem, such as "the limit (from x to c) x = c, I'm having trouble how the book solves it.

the book does: let g(x) = x for all x in R. If e > 0, let delta = e. then if 0 < | x-c| <d, then |g(x) - c| = |x - c| < e. since e > 0, it proves it.

===================================

so I try to explain this to myself:

first, the book assigns g(x) = x.

then it goes through the definition. It let's e = d. so now, if 0 < |x - c| < d, then it means |x - c| < e.

so why does that prove it?

I dotn know why I can't get it...I think I'm missing something simple here.

Physics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:
Ok, so the defintion of limit is If Given e > 0, there exists a d > 0 such that if x belongs to A and 0 < |x- c| < d, then |f(x) - L| < e.

Just to be clear, this seems to be the definition of the following equation:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) = L[/tex]

this is read as "the limit as x goes to c of f(x) equals L." here's an example to help you understand it. picture the function y=x^2. now its clear that as x approaches 0, y approaches 0 as well. in fact, in this example y is equal to 0 at x=0. but i could have said x^3/x, in which case the value at 0 is not strictly defined, although at all other points the function is the same. anyway, the epsilon delta definition is a way of formalizing this intuitive idea of a limit. think of a number e that is very very small, but still greater than 0. now picture all points on y=x^2 such that y is less than this value. now no matter how small this region is, it will always correspond to a small region around x=0. all you have to do is prove this region has some positive size d for any e you could pick. in this case, d would be sqrt(e), and this is greater than 0 as long as e is.

semidevil said:
ok, so I'm explaining this to myself as, " if I let e > 0. I can find a delta > 0, that if x is in a, and x - c(with x not = c) is less then delta, then f(x) - L < e.

the last thing you said is actually what you need to prove. and x can be c, its just that in some limits the value of f(c) is not defined, such as sin(x)/x at x=0, but the limit still exists. let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

semidevil said:
first, the book assigns g(x) = x.

then it goes through the definition. It let's e = d. so now, if 0 < |x - c| < d, then it means |x - c| < e.

so why does that prove it?

If |x-c| is less than d and d is equal to e, then |x-c| is less than e too, and hence

|x-c|<d implies |g(x)-c| <e since g(x)=x, and d =e

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or point. It can be thought of as the value that a function is "approaching" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do I know when a limit cannot be solved?

A limit cannot be solved when the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the input, or when the function has a vertical asymptote at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, some limits may require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve, and may not have a simple closed-form solution.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value from one direction (either the left or the right), while a two-sided limit considers the behavior from both directions. One-sided limits can be used to determine if a function has a vertical asymptote, while two-sided limits are used to evaluate the overall behavior of a function.

4. Can I use algebra to solve limits?

In some cases, basic algebraic manipulation can be used to solve limits. However, more complex limits may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, trigonometric identities, or the squeeze theorem.

5. How can I check if my limit solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the input value to the original function and seeing if it matches the limit value you calculated. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or online limit calculator to verify your solution. If your solution matches the limit value, then it is likely correct.