Brain dead after studying for comps

In summary, the individual is preparing for comprehensive exams and is experiencing extreme mental exhaustion and a lack of motivation. They are seeking advice on how to refresh their brain and continue studying effectively. Suggestions include daily exercise, getting enough sleep, switching up study environments, and engaging in enjoyable activities such as camping. The individual is also advised to try different genres of music and to prioritize getting enough sleep over studying for extended periods of time.
Kreizhn
So my comprehensive exams (aka qualifying exams) are coming up, and I've been studying my rear off to be ready for them. Anyway, today I switched from character theory to functional analysis, and came to the sudden and horrifying realization that my brain has stopped working.

Essentially, I have all my study materials in front of me, I just can't seem to put my nose into my books. My brain is just so exhausted from studying for so long that I can't seem to focus long enough to process any information.

What it comes down to is that I need a way to refresh my brain. Does anybody have any tips on how I can do this? I'm done to only 3 more weeks of studying, so hopefully nothing too drastic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daily exercise is a huge brain booster!

Are you getting enough sleep?

Go for a run to clear your thoughts. Come back, have a shower, make some tea and sit down. Pick out the tough problems and leave them for later and try to get through the easy problems first.

Edit: Shame on me for trying to post via my cell!

Anyway, my normal techniques don't seem to be working. I run fairly regularly, and that was definitely always a good destress/relaxing activity back when I was an undergrad. Thing is though, this seems to be a different level of mental exhaustion. I'm going into my fourth month of heavy studying.

Maybe it's not even mental exhaustion? Maybe it's just a lack of motivation now :P

Anyway, maybe I'll step up my exercise routine a bit. Any other suggestions?

As for sleep, it hasn't been an issue. I'm getting a solid 8 hours a night.

As for doing hard/easy problems, that's not really an issue either. Doing questions seems to be a little bit different in that they are challenging and stimulate the mind. Rather, my issue seems to be the monotonous routine of committing endless volumes of mathematical facts to memory.

Anyway, I'm not trying to complain. This is all stuff we all do before getting a PhD so I know I'm not somehow special in my torment. Just seeing if anyone has any super special recipes for getting over brain cramps.

I find that going camping for a weekend is a great way to destress. The change of environment helps my mind reboot since none of the usual associations I have with my normal atmospheres interferes with my ability to relax and escape. I nice idyllic patch near a lake I find is always best, or any place that can definitively get your mind focused on something other than schoolwork for a day or two. Otherwise, set aside a day or two and do somethings that are exhilarating and memorable, like rock climbing, or just something spontaneous and sudden with several good friends.

In addition, you should also try and study in different places (if you don't already) to help make data retention a bit easier, and possibly less stressful on the mind. I can dig up a study on the benefits of learning in different environments if need be.

Music usually works for me. Sometimes classical, like maybe Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and sometimes some raunchy death metal. Both have unique ways of eliminating stress depending on the mood I'm in.

I'll echo that it's important to get enough sleep. Your mind studies while you sleep anyway - imagine sleep as a very effective defragmentation program. It compiles all the information throughout the day and stores it in long term memory as an easily-accessed file. I'd rather have seven hours of study and nine hours of sleep than twelve hours of study and six hours of sleep.

TopCat said:
I find that going camping for a weekend is a great way to destress. The change of environment helps my mind reboot since none of the usual associations I have with my normal atmospheres interferes with my ability to relax and escape. I nice idyllic patch near a lake I find is always best, or any place that can definitively get your mind focused on something other than schoolwork for a day or two. Otherwise, set aside a day or two and do somethings that are exhilarating and memorable, like rock climbing, or just something spontaneous and sudden with several good friends.

In addition, you should also try and study in different places (if you don't already) to help make data retention a bit easier, and possibly less stressful on the mind. I can dig up a study on the benefits of learning in different environments if need be.

Excellent suggestion. I will definitely give this a try.

As for everyone else suggestions, I really do appreciate the input, but I learned all these things as an undergrad. They are (for me at least) normal test taking techniques and don't really address the problem I'm facing.

Work out, man. Do an hour of lifting and strength exercise and hardcore cardio. Works wonders for me. Then some tea with lemon so you don't fall asleep and life is gooooood :)

1. What exactly does it mean to be "brain dead" after studying for comps?

Being "brain dead" after studying for comps typically refers to a state of extreme mental exhaustion and fatigue. This can happen when a person has been studying for a prolonged period of time without taking adequate breaks or engaging in self-care practices.

2. Is being "brain dead" a serious condition?

While being "brain dead" after studying for comps may not be a medically recognized condition, it can have serious consequences on a person's mental and physical health. It is important to recognize the symptoms and take steps to prevent and manage this state of exhaustion.

3. What are some common symptoms of being "brain dead" after studying for comps?

Some common symptoms of being "brain dead" after studying for comps include difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, irritability, headaches, and physical fatigue. These symptoms may vary from person to person, but may all be signs of excessive mental strain.

4. How can I prevent or manage being "brain dead" while studying for comps?

To prevent or manage being "brain dead" while studying for comps, it is important to take regular breaks, engage in stress-reducing activities, and prioritize self-care. This can include getting adequate sleep, eating well, and engaging in physical activity.

5. Is being "brain dead" after studying for comps a sign of failure?

No, being "brain dead" after studying for comps is not a sign of failure. It is a common experience for many students and is often a result of trying to balance multiple responsibilities and tasks. It is important to recognize the signs and take steps to manage and prevent this state of exhaustion.