Is there a clever method for integrating over asymetric paraboloids

In summary, the trick to solving this type of problem is to first consider the equations of the paraboloid and the ellipse, and then use them together to find the boundaries and calculate the volume of the paraboloid enclosed in the elliptical cylinder.
Daron
There are a few questions on the forum about calculating the volume enclosed between an upwards-opening and a downwards-opening paraboloids, and I think I understand the method there. However they all involve symmetric paraboloids, and the intersection of the pair is always contained within a circular cylinder.

I tried to apply the method to a similar question with one symmetric and one asymmetric paraboloid, specifically

z = 6 -7x^2 -y^2

And here it is impossible to reduce to polar coordinates. So finding the volume of the paraboloid contained in a relevant elliptical cylinder is harder.

But then I remembered that there is no way to find the circumference of a non-circular ellipse. So I'm not sure if I can find a finite expression for the portion of the asymetric paraboloid contained within the cylinder that contains all intersections of the two paraboloids.

In short, how would I approach this sort of problem? Is there a trick to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a trick to it. The trick is to first consider the paraboloid's equation, z = f(x,y), and then use the equation for an implicit ellipse, Ax^2 + By^2 + Cxy + Dx + Ey + F = 0, to define the boundary of the elliptical cylinder. You can then use the equation of the paraboloid and the equation of the ellipse together to solve for the portion of the paraboloid enclosed within the elliptical cylinder. This is a relatively complex problem, but it is doable. The idea is to first solve the paraboloid equation for x in terms of y, and then substitute this into the ellipse equation to get a single variable equation. Once you have this single variable equation, you can then find the boundaries of the elliptical cylinder by solving it for y, and then use these boundaries to calculate the volume of the paraboloid enclosed in the cylinder.For example, if we consider the equation:z = 6 -7x^2 -y^2we can solve for x in terms of y as:x = ±√(6 − y²)/7Substituting this into the ellipse equation, we can get a single variable equation:Ay² + By² + D + E + F = 0Solving this equation for y will give us the boundaries of the elliptical cylinder. We can then use these boundaries to calculate the volume of the paraboloid enclosed in the cylinder.

1. "What is a paraboloid and why is it important in integration?"

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a parabola around its axis. It is important in integration because it is commonly used to model real-world objects and phenomena, such as satellite dishes and reflective surfaces.

2. "Why are paraboloids asymmetric and how does this affect integration?"

Paraboloids can be either symmetric or asymmetric, depending on the equation used to define them. Asymmetric paraboloids have a different shape on each side of their axis, which can make integration more challenging as the area under the curve may not be easily calculated.

3. "Is there a specific method for integrating over asymmetric paraboloids?"

Yes, there are several methods for integrating over asymmetric paraboloids, such as using the method of cylindrical shells or the disk method. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method based on the specific shape of the paraboloid and the limits of integration.

4. "What are the limitations of integrating over asymmetric paraboloids?"

Integrating over asymmetric paraboloids can be more complex and time-consuming compared to symmetric paraboloids. Additionally, the accuracy of the integration may be affected by the shape of the paraboloid and the chosen integration method.

5. "Are there any applications of integrating over asymmetric paraboloids in science?"

Yes, integrating over asymmetric paraboloids is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate volumes, surface areas, and other important parameters. It is also useful in modeling and analyzing real-world systems and phenomena.