Finding the speed of a ball given some height and falling speed

In summary: When you add 9.8 to the velocity, it becomes a negative number, so make sure to include that in the final equation. When you add 9.8 to the velocity, it becomes a negative number, so make sure to include that in the final equation.
skysunsand

Homework Statement

Nicole throws a ball straight up. Chad watches the ball from a window 6.10 m above the point where Nicole released it. The ball passes Chad on the way up, and it has a speed of 11.0 m/s as it passes him on the way back down. How fast did Nicole throw the ball?

Homework Equations

x= x0 + v0t + 1/2 at^2
v= v0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't the slightest clue as how to solve this. If she's tossing it upward, I know that would be a parabola graphically, so perhaps I need to use the quadratic equation at some point.
Need to find acceleration, I suppose, to find how fast she threw the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
skysunsand said:

Homework Statement

Nicole throws a ball straight up. Chad watches the ball from a window 6.10 m above the point where Nicole released it. The ball passes Chad on the way up, and it has a speed of 11.0 m/s as it passes him on the way back down. How fast did Nicole throw the ball?

Homework Equations

x= x0 + v0t + 1/2 at^2
v= v0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't the slightest clue as how to solve this. If she's tossing it upward, I know that would be a parabola graphically, so perhaps I need to use the quadratic equation at some point.
Need to find acceleration, I suppose, to find how fast she threw the ball?

The acceleration involved is the acceleration due to gravity.
If the ball was doing 11 m/s on its way down past the window, it will have been traveling at 11 m/s on its way up past the window as well.

Be careful about which figures are positive and negative when calculating.

So...the answer is just 11 then? It was a trick question?

skysunsand said:
So...the answer is just 11 then? It was a trick question?

NO, it had slowed to 11 m/s by the time it went past the window, it must have been going faster when it left her hand.

Peter

So it slows down from some unknown number due to gravity. Which would mean negative acceleration. But then how do you figure out the unknown, and how does 11 work into the equation?

skysunsand said:
So it slows down from some unknown number due to gravity. Which would mean negative acceleration. But then how do you figure out the unknown, and how does 11 work into the equation?

When I do these problems I use the following symbols

v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
s = displacement
a = acceleration
t = time

For the ball, we know it had slowed to 11 m/s by the time it got to the window 6.1 m up

so
v = 11
a = -9.8
s = 6.1

You want to know the initial speed , "u" , so the formula of choice would be

v^2 = u^2 + 2as [It is the only one of the 5 that does not require a time value]

121 = u^2 + 2*-9.8*6.1

you should be able to do it from there. Be careful with that minus sign.

1. How is the speed of a ball calculated?

The speed of a ball can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the ball is dropped.

2. What units are used to measure the speed of a ball?

The speed of a ball is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used.

3. How does the height of the ball affect its speed?

The higher the ball is dropped from, the greater the speed will be when it reaches the ground. This is because the ball has more potential energy when it is dropped from a higher height, which is converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

4. What is the role of air resistance in finding the speed of a falling ball?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the speed of a falling ball. As the ball falls, it experiences air resistance which opposes its motion, ultimately limiting its maximum speed. This is why objects with a higher surface area, like a feather, fall slower than objects with a smaller surface area, like a ball.

5. Can the speed of a ball be calculated without knowing the height from which it was dropped?

No, the speed of a ball cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the height from which it was dropped. The height is a crucial factor in determining the speed as it affects the potential energy of the ball. Without knowing the initial height, the speed calculation would be incomplete.