Design & Build a Bean Bag Launcher Mechanically

In summary: The launcher must start 6.0 m away from the tin and move at least 1.0 m before launching. The challenge is to create a mechanical launcher without using compressed gases or electric motors. Some ideas include using elastics to move the wheels and a trebuchet catapult to launch the bag, but the difficult part is figuring out how to trigger the launch. Suggestions include using a camshaft or crankshaft on a jackshaft or using a string wrapped around the wheel axle to pull the firing pin once it is wound tight.
etc
ok, so here it is:
"You are to design and construct a bean bag launcher, which will launch a bag filled with dried beans, rice etc. Beanbag launchers will launch their projectiles through the ait in an attemp to have them land in a large coffee tin. The coffee tin will be mounted at the top of a 1.0 m long 2x4 with the open end pointing upwards. Launchers must starts 6.0 m away from the coffe tin and are required to move a minimum distance of 1.0 m before they launch their projectiles.

the trick is that I'm not allowed to use compressed gases or wires or electric motors or anything. the method for first propelling the object and second launching a bean bag from that object must be mechanical. I've been thinking something about elastics to move the wheels to start the thing ... and some sort of trebuchet catapult type thing to launch it ... but i can't figure out exactly how one would trigger the other and exactly a good way of making it all happen.

anyway, that's where i need help. any good ideas would be appreciated. I'm not asking you guys to put lots of effort into replying; just if you have any ideas off the top of your head to get me started i'd really like that.

thanks! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a good challenge.

To activate some simple mechanical linkage would easily do the trick. A camshaft/eccentric part of a shaft could fire, maybe a crankshaft too. Both could be on a jackshaft turning at a slower RPM than the wheel axle.

But a string wrapped around the axle that pulled the firing pin once it wound tight would be super simple once you could get it consistent!

Cliff

"

One idea could be to use a pulley system to launch the bean bag. The 2x4 could be divided into two sections, with the front section acting as the launching platform and the back section as the propelling mechanism. The back section could have a pulley system attached to it, with one end connected to the launching platform and the other end connected to a lever. The lever could be pulled back to create tension in the pulley system, which would then launch the bean bag when released. This would create a mechanical motion without the use of compressed gases or electric motors.

Another option could be to use a lever and fulcrum system. The 2x4 could be set up as a seesaw, with the fulcrum at the midpoint. The back end of the seesaw could be weighted down with sandbags or other heavy objects, while the front end would act as the launching platform. When the weight is released, the front end would rise up and launch the bean bag. This would also create a mechanical motion without the use of compressed gases or electric motors.

Another potential design could involve using springs. The 2x4 could be set up at an angle, with the front end acting as the launching platform and the back end attached to a spring. When the spring is compressed and then released, it would propel the 2x4 forward and launch the bean bag. This would require some experimentation to find the right tension and release mechanism for the spring, but it could provide a simple and effective mechanical solution.

Overall, the key will be to find a way to transfer the mechanical energy from the propelling mechanism to the launching platform in a controlled and efficient manner. I hope these ideas give you some inspiration and help you get started on your design. Good luck!

1. How does the bean bag launcher work?

The bean bag launcher works by using mechanical energy to launch a bean bag. This is done through a system of levers and springs that are activated by pulling a trigger or pushing a button. When the trigger is pulled or button is pushed, the levers and springs work together to create a force that propels the bean bag forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a bean bag launcher?

The materials needed to build a bean bag launcher can vary, but typically include wood or metal for the frame, rubber bands or springs for the launching mechanism, and a trigger or button to activate the launcher. Other materials such as screws, bolts, and glue may also be necessary for assembly.

3. Is it difficult to build a bean bag launcher?

The difficulty level of building a bean bag launcher can depend on the individual's level of skill and experience with building and mechanical systems. However, with clear instructions and the right materials, it can be a fun and achievable project for most people to complete.

4. How far can a bean bag launcher launch a bean bag?

The distance a bean bag launcher can launch a bean bag can vary based on factors such as the strength and design of the launcher, as well as the weight and size of the bean bag. On average, a well-built bean bag launcher can launch a bean bag up to 20-30 feet.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a bean bag launcher?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a bean bag launcher. It is important to always point the launcher in a safe direction and never aim it at people or animals. It is also recommended to wear protective eyewear and to keep hands and fingers away from the trigger or launching mechanism while in use.