Unitary matrix of a hermitian form matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unitary matrix U that can diagonalize a given matrix H by using its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The attempt at a solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, normalizing them, and using them as column vectors for U. However, it is noted that v1 is not in hermitian form, which leads to the need to construct an orthogonal basis from v2 and v3 using Gram-Schmidt.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Given the matrix H=
\begin{array}{cc}
4 & 2+2i & 1-i \\
2-2i & 6 & -2i \\
1+i & 2i & 3 \\
\end{array}

Find a unitary matrix U such that U*HU is diagonal
(U* is the conjugate transpose of U, and U* = U-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the eigenvalues
λ1 = 9
λ2 = 2
λ3 = 2
and the corresponding eigenvectors
v1 = [ 1-i , -2i , 1 ]
v2 = [ -1+i , 0 , 2 ]
v3 = [ -1-i , 1 , 0 ]
Normalizing them and using them as column vectors for U I get
\begin{array}{cc}
(1-i)/\sqrt{7} & (-1+i)/\sqrt{6} & (-1-i)/\sqrt{3} \\
-2i/\sqrt{7} & 0 & 1/\sqrt{3} \\
1/\sqrt{7} & 2/\sqrt{6} & 0 \\
\end{array}

but this doesn't work. I try U*U and I try U*HU but neither come out right.
What am I missing?

*edit* I've just noticed that U isn't in hermitian form because of v1. Is there a way of transforming v1 so I get a real number for u1,1? Like multiplying it my the conjugate of 1-i? I'm sure it has something to do with the repeated eigenvalue, but I don't know what to do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Locoism! :smile:

Your v2 and v3 form a basis for the eigenspace of eigenvalue 2.
However, they are not orthogonal.

Ok but then do I construct an orthogonal basis from v2 and v3 (using gram-schmidt)?

Yep.

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, multiplying a unitary matrix by its conjugate transpose results in the identity matrix.

2. What is a hermitian form matrix?

A hermitian form matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that the matrix is symmetric along its main diagonal and the elements above and below the diagonal are complex conjugates of each other.

3. What is the relationship between a unitary matrix and a hermitian form matrix?

A unitary matrix is a special case of a hermitian form matrix, where the matrix is also orthogonal. This means that the matrix not only satisfies the properties of a hermitian form matrix, but also has orthonormal columns.

4. How is a unitary matrix of a hermitian form matrix used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitary matrices of hermitian form matrices are used to represent the evolution of quantum systems. These matrices represent transformations that preserve the inner product between states, and are crucial in calculating the probabilities of different quantum states.

5. Can a non-square matrix be unitary or hermitian?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be unitary or hermitian. Unitary and hermitian matrices must have the same number of rows and columns in order to satisfy their respective properties.