Questions on the kinetic molecular theory of gases

In summary: At the same pressure and temperature,the intermolecular spaces between the molecules of the ideal gases are constant?because the intermolecular attractive forces between the molecules of the ideal gas is negligible,so the intermolecular spaces doesnot depend upon the mass of the molecule or the type of the gas".This is true---the force between two particles is significant for a short period of time---but it is because of their speed. If the particles were to collide at a slower speed, the force would be weaker and the space between the molecules would fluctuate. 6-the frequency of the molecule is calculated from the relation :frequency = V/2
Misr
Hello,world

1-"the intermolecular attractive forces between gas particles are very weak due to the large intermolecular distances separating them"
Is that true?
this is wriiten in my textbook and it is confusing me because I've always thought of it in a different way ,I thought the intermolecular attractive forces between gas molecules are very weak because they move in a very very large speed so they don't have enough time to attract each other,
But I feel some contradiction between the way i think and my textbook so I want to know which of these two concepts are true or both of them are true?

2-I've read before that an ideal gas doesnot exist ,so what is the importance of imaging such an ideal gas if it doesnot exist?Is it because many gases have very similar properties to the properties of that ideal guy in high temperatures and low pressures?I can't really imagine what is an ideal gas although I've read many times about it..Does an ideal gas remains ideal at high pressure and low temperature?

3-what is the relation between the general gas laws(Charle,Boyle,Jolly) and the kinetic molecular theory of gases?The ideal gas follows both of them...let me rephrase this question,
why should the gas have the following properties :
A gas consists of a collection of small particles traveling in straight-line motion and obeying Newton's Laws.
The molecules in a gas occupy no volume (that is, they are points).
Collisions between molecules are perfectly elastic (that is, no energy is gained or lost during the collision).
There are no attractive or repulsive forces between the molecules.
The average kinetic energy of a molecule is 3kT/2. (T is the absolute temperature and k is the Boltzmann constant.)
in order to follow exactely the general laws of gases?what is the relation between having this properties and following exactely the general gas laws?I hope you could understand my problem here..

4-why does A mole of any gas at STP occupy the same volume?the answer to this question in my textbook is that 1- the no. of particles of one mole of any gas is constant
2.the intermolecular spaces of all gases is constant at STP.
That's not very bad but what about the size of the molecules?the sizes of molecules are different for different gases indeed SO,why does A mole of any gas at STP occupy the same volume?

5-"At the same pressure and temperature,the intermolecular spaces between the molecules of the ideal gases are constant?because the intermolecular attractive forces between the molecules of the ideal gas is negligible,so the intermolecular spaces doesnot depend upon the mass of of the molecule or the type of the gas".

That's stupid!what does that mean??what is the relation between the mass of the molecule and the intermolecular distances betweern molecules?

6-the frequency of the molecule is calculated from the relation :
frequency = V/2L
how was this equation derived?I don't understand it

7-what is the rest energy?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got some great questions and thoughts in here
Misr said:
1-"the intermolecular attractive forces between gas particles are very weak due to the large intermolecular distances separating them"
... I've always thought of it in a different way ,I thought the intermolecular attractive forces between gas molecules are very weak because they move in a very very large speed so they don't have enough time to attract each other
The two explanations are concerned with somewhat different things. First, the speed of the particles has no effect on the strength of the force---the force is weak only because they are far apart. Second, the force has little effect because the force between two particles is significant for a short period of time---which is because of their speed.

Misr said:
2-I've read before that an ideal gas doesnot exist ,so what is the importance of imaging such an ideal gas if it doesnot exist?
An ideal gas is a simplifying concept. You list below some of the fundamental principles behind the conception of an ideal gas, obviously they are approximations (e.g. particles are points without size). Because they are approximations, there is no such thing as a true ideal gas. The concept is useful because in a very wide range of situations, real gases (e.g. those in day-to-day life) behave very very similarly to how an ideal gas would behave.

Misr said:
3-what is the relation between the general gas laws(Charle,Boyle,Jolly) and the kinetic molecular theory of gases?...I hope you could understand my problem here..
No idea what you're asking.

Misr said:
4-why does A mole of any gas at STP occupy the same volume?...the sizes of molecules are different for different gases indeed
As you list above, this model of gases assumes they are point particles---thus every molecule does have the same size. The volume a gas occupies is unrelated to the size of the particle (in this model---but in actuality, the size of the particle is entirely negligible).

Misr said:
5-"At the same pressure and temperature,the intermolecular spaces between the molecules of the ideal gases are constant?because the intermolecular attractive forces between the molecules of the ideal gas is negligible,so the intermolecular spaces doesnot depend upon the mass of of the molecule or the type of the gas".

That's stupid!what does that mean??what is the relation between the mass of the molecule and the intermolecular distances betweern molecules?
This is just a result of the previous point---if every mole of gas has the same volume, and the same number of particles, then it will have the same spacing between particles.
The mass of the particle and the interparticle distance are unrelated---that is what they are saying.

Misr said:
6-the frequency of the molecule is calculated from the relation :
frequency = V/2L
how was this equation derived?I don't understand it
What?

Misr said:
7-what is the rest energy?
The energy something has at rest (i.e. without kinetic energy).

Awwww Great answers indeed!
The mass of the particle and the interparticle distance are unrelated---that is what they are saying.
because they are point masses so they have no volume or mass ..Is that true?

What?
I'm asking where this (2L) in the equation has come from?why isn't the equation frequency = V/L instead?
may be I can't understand the equation because I've a problem in understanding the kintetic molecular theory of gases https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=562751
The energy something has at rest (i.e. without kinetic energy).
hmmm potenial energy or something like that?

Thanks very much for claryfying these important conceptions.
best regards

Misr said:
Awwww Great answers indeed!

When two ideal gases - A and B are at same temperature and pressure , then the equal volume of the two gases will have same number of molecules. If Volume of gas A = Volume of gas B at same temperature and pressure , then molecules of gas A = molecules of gas B. That's Avogadro's law. As we know that all gases of same volume respond and expand equally with same rise in temperature and at same pressure and initial temperature , then mass of gas particle and intermolecular distance is unrelated as far as mole concept is concerned.

I'm asking where this (2L) in the equation has come from?why isn't the equation frequency = V/L instead?
may be I can't understand the equation because I've a problem in understanding the kintetic molecular theory of gases https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=562751

Depends on node and anti-nodes of vibrating body. Anyways this question is not related to sound in physics. The original equation formulation is as follows :

It was found out that f[itex]\propto[/itex]1/l , where l is length
f[itex]\propto[/itex]v
So as such f=kV/L
Now if there is one anti-node (nodes in vibrating body having maximum displacement and 0 tension) then k=1/2 and f=V/2L. If there are two anti-nodes then f=V/L
There equations are more applicable in sound chapter of physics. Not sure why are you using them here.

Have I to tell about what are nodes or anti-nodes ? If you want to know then that's fine.

Thanks very much for claryfying these important conceptions.
best regards

Yes.. Potential energy is the energy by virtue of position and configuration and the body has to be at rest. When body come in motion , potential energy decreases and kinetic energy increases. Kinetic energy is energy by virtue of motion. If body is not in motion kinetic energy is 0. Rest energy is energy when a body is at rest. That's it ! Nothing to do about potential energy due to height. Just kinetic energy is zero when a body is at rest. :wink:

Please have a look at your VM. Have you solved your problem about the relation between angle of dispersion and deviation ?

Last edited:
Misr said:
They still have mass ('point masses'), but no volume---that is correct. Again, this is just a simplifying model.

Misr said:
I have no idea what equation that is, what the symbols are, and what frequency you're referring to.

Misr said:
All non-kinetic energy. The most basic form of rest-energy is the rest-mass energy (E = mc^2); also any chemical potential energy, etc etc.

1. What is the kinetic molecular theory of gases?

The kinetic molecular theory of gases is a model that describes the behavior of gases at a molecular level. It states that gas particles are in constant, random motion and that their collisions with each other and with their container walls cause pressure, volume, and temperature changes.

2. How does the kinetic molecular theory explain the properties of gases?

The kinetic molecular theory explains the properties of gases by stating that gas particles have negligible volume and do not attract or repel each other. It also states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas, and that the pressure of a gas is related to the frequency and force of its collisions with its container walls.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the kinetic energy of gas particles?

According to the kinetic molecular theory, the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the gas particles also increases, causing them to move faster and collide with each other and their container walls more frequently.

4. How does the kinetic molecular theory explain the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be derived from the kinetic molecular theory by assuming that gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This means that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of gas, and inversely proportional to its volume. The ideal gas law is a good approximation for most gases at low pressures and high temperatures.

5. What are the limitations of the kinetic molecular theory?

The kinetic molecular theory is a simplified model that does not take into account certain factors, such as intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles. It also assumes that gas particles are point masses with no size, which is not entirely accurate. Additionally, the kinetic molecular theory is only applicable to ideal gases at low pressures and high temperatures, and may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases under all conditions.