Topology of charm decays. Help

• Thread starter AnnieRT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the Na27 experiments in the 1980s used a bubble chamber and spectrometer to identify charm decays in films. The topology of the traces was used to analyze the candidates for charm decays, with a V4 having four charged particles and a C3 having three. However, the information on this is limited and the process may be difficult to understand.
AnnieRT
Topology of charm decays. Help!:)

Hello Everyone:)
It's my first post ever and I'm asking for help, sorry!

I have to know how to identify charm decays in the films of the Na27 experiments, done in the 80's. It was used a bubble chamber and a spectrometer...

In the paper it's said that the candidates to charm decays are analyzed based on the topology of their traces, but I'm finding very little information on it and can't quite figure it out...
Hope you can help me
Thanks**
:)

Physics news on Phys.org

What paper is this?

Thanks for the attention:)
Page 8...

Attachments

• D-meson LT.pdf
    737.3 KB · Views: 309

It's in the 2nd full paragraph on that page. For example, a V4 would have four charged particles, two positive, two negative, e.g. K3pi. A C3 would have three, e.g. K2pi.

1. What is the topology of charm decays?

The topology of charm decays refers to the arrangement or configuration of particles in a decay process involving charm quarks. This includes the number, type, and momentum of particles produced in the decay.

2. Why is the topology of charm decays important?

The topology of charm decays can provide valuable information about the fundamental properties and interactions of charm quarks, which can help us better understand the behavior of these particles and the underlying laws of physics.

3. How is the topology of charm decays measured in experiments?

In experiments, the topology of charm decays is typically studied by analyzing data collected from particle collisions, which can reveal the types and properties of particles produced in the decay process. This data is then compared to theoretical predictions to determine the topology of the decay.

4. What are some common topologies of charm decays?

Some common topologies of charm decays include single-particle decays, multi-particle decays, and semi-leptonic decays. These can further be classified into different subcategories based on the specific particles produced in the decay.

5. How does the topology of charm decays contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model of particle physics predicts the possible ways in which charm quarks can decay. By studying the topology of charm decays and comparing it to the predictions of the Standard Model, we can test the validity of this theory and potentially discover new physics beyond the Standard Model.