How Do You Derive a Price-Demand Function from Marginal Revenue?

• Thread starter c19dale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about finding the price demand function for a product given its marginal revenue and initial revenue. The person is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem and mentions the assumption of a decreasing function and the goal of maximizing profit.
c19dale
I have two problems left that are giving me trouble.

here is the first.
If the marginal revenue(in dollars per unit) for producing x units of a product is given by MR= -0.2x^2 + 3.5x + 17.4 and R(0)=0, find the price demand function p for the product.

If some one could just get me started on the right step, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
c19dale said:
I have two problems left that are giving me trouble.

here is the first.
If the marginal revenue(in dollars per unit) for producing x units of a product is given by MR= -0.2x^2 + 3.5x + 17.4 and R(0)=0, find the price demand function p for the product.

If some one could just get me started on the right step, that would be great.
Generally speaking, there aren't a lot of economists here, so you will have to explain what the price demand function is. I assume it is some kind of decreasing function (as price increases, demand decreases and vice versa). Is it linear? What is the function R(x)?

AM

The price-demand function represents the relationship between the price of a product and the demand for that product. It is typically expressed as p(x), where x represents the quantity of the product being sold. In this problem, we are given the marginal revenue function, MR(x)=-0.2x^2+3.5x+17.4, and we need to find the price-demand function.

To find the price-demand function, we can use the fact that marginal revenue is the change in total revenue divided by the change in quantity, or MR=ΔR/Δx. We also know that total revenue is equal to the price of the product multiplied by the quantity sold, or R=p(x)*x.

Using these two equations, we can set up the following equation:

MR=ΔR/Δx
-0.2x^2+3.5x+17.4=(p(x)*x)-R(0)

Since we are given that R(0)=0, we can simplify the equation to:

-0.2x^2+3.5x+17.4=p(x)*x

Now, to find the price-demand function, we need to solve for p(x). We can do this by dividing both sides of the equation by x:

p(x)=(-0.2x^2+3.5x+17.4)/x

This gives us the price-demand function:

p(x)=-0.2x+3.5+17.4/x

Now, to find the price-demand function, we just need to plug in different values for x and solve for p(x). For example, if we want to find the price for 100 units of the product, we would plug in x=100 into our equation:

p(100)=-0.2(100)+3.5+17.4/100
p(100)=$35.5

Therefore, the price-demand function for this product is p(x)=-0.2x+3.5+17.4/x. I hope this helps you get started on solving your problem.

1. What is a "Price-Demand Function"?

A price-demand function is a mathematical relationship that shows the quantity of a product that will be demanded at different price points. It represents the inverse relationship between price and demand - as the price of a product increases, the demand for it decreases.

2. How is a "Price-Demand Function" calculated?

A price-demand function can be calculated by analyzing historical sales data and plotting it on a graph. The slope of the line on the graph represents the change in demand for each unit change in price. This slope is known as the price elasticity of demand and can be used to determine the optimal price for a product.

3. What factors influence the "Price-Demand Function"?

The price-demand function is influenced by a variety of factors, including the price of competing products, consumer income, consumer preferences, and overall market conditions. These factors can shift the demand curve and impact the relationship between price and demand.

4. How can the "Price-Demand Function" help businesses make pricing decisions?

The price-demand function can help businesses make informed pricing decisions by providing insight into the relationship between price and demand for their product. By understanding the price elasticity of demand, businesses can determine the optimal price point that will maximize revenue and profit.

5. Can the "Price-Demand Function" change over time?

Yes, the price-demand function is not a static relationship and can change over time. Factors such as changes in consumer preferences, the introduction of new products, and shifts in market conditions can all impact the demand for a product at different price points. It is important for businesses to regularly reassess and update their price-demand function to stay competitive in the market.