Inertia & Torque Calculation Assistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of inertia and torque for an aluminium disc with given dimensions and mass. The formula used for inertia is I = 0.5m*r^2, and the formula for torque is T = Iα. The conversation also questions the accuracy of the formula M = (Jω)/t.
Simples
Hi, I would like my workings for inertia and torque checked, and advice on formula if you would be so kind.

I have an aluminium disc of 300mm diameter and 8mm thick and a mass of 1.58Kg. To work out the inertia I have used the formula:

I = 0.5m*r^2
I= 0.79*0.0225
I= 0.0178 Kg m^2

Now, the disc is to spin at 30rpm (0.25 secs to move 45 degrees) and I would like to find the torque, so I calculate:

angular velocity ω1= 0
angular velocity ω2= ((30rpm/60)*2pi) = 3.1415 rad/s
α = (ω2-ω1)/t = (3.1415-0)/0.25 = 12.57 rad/s^2

T= Iα = 0.0178*12.57 = 0.2237 Nm

How close am I, or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Also, does anyone know if the formula below is correct:

M = (Jω)/t

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Simples!Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)

If the question says that the disc starts at 0 rpm, and is uniformly accelerated to 30 rpm after 0.25 seconds and 45°,

then yes, everything is correct :smile:

(but I have a suspicion that it doesn't say that :redface:)
Simples said:
Also, does anyone know if the formula below is correct:

M = (Jω)/t

Perhaps I'm being dim :blushing:, but what are M and J ? :confused:

I'll take a guess on

M = (Jω)/t

I'm willing to bet that J = I = polar mass moment of inertia, ω is system final angular velocity starting from zero, M is average moment acting over the impulse time interval t. Thus, this is a very crude statement of change in angular momentum is equal to the angular impulse, for the particular case where angular momentum is zero and everything is expressed in terms of average values.

Don't think I've seen this one before!

1. What is inertia and how is it calculated?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect the motion of an object?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate.

3. What are some real-life examples of inertia and torque?

Inertia is evident in everyday activities such as pushing a shopping cart, where it takes more force to get the cart moving than it does to keep it moving. Torque can be seen in tools such as wrenches and screwdrivers, where the longer the handle, the more torque can be applied to rotate a bolt or screw.

4. How can I use inertia and torque calculations in my research or experiments?

Inertia and torque calculations are useful in a variety of scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to understand the motion of objects, predict how forces will affect an object's movement, and solve problems related to rotational motion.

5. Are there any formulas or equations that can help with inertia and torque calculations?

Yes, there are several formulas and equations that can assist with calculating inertia and torque, such as the moment of inertia equation (I = mr^2) and the torque equation (T = F * r * sinθ). These can be found in most physics or mechanics textbooks or online resources.