Finding B field within solenoid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a current balance to measure the force between a solenoid and a straight wire segment. The solenoid has a turns per length of n=10000 and the wire segment has a length of l=0.05m, both with a current of I=14A. The question is posed about the B field inside the solenoid, with equations and diagrams being used to attempt to solve it. The individual is struggling and looking for some insight, but is unsure of how to approach the problem.
Alouette
A current balance is constructed to measure the force between a solenoid with n=10000turns per length and a straight wire segment of length l=0.05m inside the solenoid and perpendicular to the field. The current through both the solenoid and wire segment is I=14A. What is the B field inside the solenoid?

B = μonI (solenoid)

B = (μoI)/(2∏r) (straight wire)3.
I've gone over notes and the chapter, but seeing as I'm still struggling, would like some insight.

Drawing a diagram, on xy-plane I drew the solenoid on x-plane and since it says the wire is perpendicular to it, it is on the y-plane cutting across the solenoid.

My first attempt was to simply use the equations stated above and plug in the numbers:
μonI = (4∏ x 10^-7)*(10,000/0.05)*(14) = 3.52
Obviously wrong since it doesn't involve the straight wire segment.

Trying to use the equation for straight wire is of no use because of the r which I don't seem to have.

I go back to my drawing, RH rule suggests the wire has B field curling around it, while next to it, the solenoid's B field which loops around is there. Showing how little I know but my next thought was to add the two B fields, answer not different from first attempt. This is where I'm stuck.

Besides missing the concept, am I missing something obvious, or am I going to get the response of going to the book once again...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not even one tiny help? I'm not even looking for much.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is used to generate a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in various electrical and electronic devices, such as motors and relays.

2. How does a solenoid produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the curled fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Why is the magnetic field within a solenoid stronger than outside?

The magnetic field within a solenoid is stronger than outside because the magnetic field lines are tightly packed together due to the close proximity of the coils. This results in a higher concentration of magnetic field lines, making the field stronger.

4. How can the strength of the magnetic field within a solenoid be calculated?

The strength of the magnetic field within a solenoid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

5. What factors can affect the strength of the magnetic field within a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field within a solenoid can be affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the permeability of the material used for the core of the solenoid. Temperature and distance from the solenoid can also have an impact on the strength of the magnetic field.