What is the status of research on gravitons and Higgs bosons?

In summary, the present state of research on gravitons and the Higgs boson is that there is still no sign of either particle, but that research has advanced in recent years.
Bararontok
What is the present state of research on gravitons and Higgs bosons? How much has the research advanced?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bararontok said:
What is the present state of research on gravitons and Higgs bosons? How much has the research advanced?

Not sure about gravitons, but regarding the Higgs, I'm curious. Have you not had any internet connection for the past 2 years, or have been insulated from any kind of news?

Zz.

In terms of gravitons, we cannot and will not ever detect them individually (while we can, and likely will, detect gravitational waves within the next few years).

ZapperZ said:
Not sure about gravitons, but regarding the Higgs, I'm curious. Have you not had any internet connection for the past 2 years, or have been insulated from any kind of news?

The question was posted here because there might be a particle physicist in the forum that might have data on the research so it might be easier to post a question in this forum and get the information directly from the source rather than taking the information indirectly from online references.

I don't think that any ATLAS/CMS collaboration member would give you internal data here, so we are all limited to conference talks, publications and other presentations.
As far as I know, there were no interesting updates on Higgs searches since december (which included the full 2011 data anyway), and I think you know the results presented there. Maybe ATLAS updated the data at the high mass region, but without interesting results.

I would expect new things at the summer conferences, with a dataset similar to the one of 2011. Enough to see a bump at 125 GeV again, but not enough for the "magic 5 sigma", even in combinations.

Gravitons: I didn't see any signs of extra dimensions, gravitons or other new stuff so far.

Bararontok said:
How much has the research advanced?

It might have been helpful to specify, since when?

jtbell said:
It might have been helpful to specify, since when?

Since 2011-2012.

Hmm, I should have read my mails ;)

ATLAS gave a presentation on the status of the Higgs searches yesterday. The exclusion limits at ~115-120 GeV and at the high mass region got a bit better, but apart from that, nothing new happened.

And by research do you mean detection or understanding?

1. What is a graviton and why is it important in research?

A graviton is a hypothetical elementary particle that is believed to be responsible for the force of gravity. It is important in research because it could help to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, as well as provide a better understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is the current status of research on gravitons?

The existence of gravitons is still a subject of ongoing research and debate. While some theories predict their existence, there has been no direct experimental evidence of gravitons yet. However, scientists are continuing to explore and develop new experiments to potentially detect them.

3. What is a Higgs boson and why is it important in research?

A Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It is important in research because its discovery would confirm the existence of the Higgs field, which is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. What is the current status of research on Higgs bosons?

In 2012, scientists at the Large Hadron Collider announced the discovery of a new particle consistent with the Higgs boson. This discovery was later confirmed in 2013, providing strong evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson. However, research on the properties and behavior of the Higgs boson is still ongoing.

5. How do gravitons and Higgs bosons relate to each other in research?

Gravitons and Higgs bosons are both important particles in theoretical physics and are often studied together. The Higgs boson is believed to interact with the graviton, and understanding this interaction could help to further our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. However, there is currently no experimental evidence for this interaction, and it remains a subject of ongoing research and speculation.