A statistician will always have a job?

• Thread starter grendle7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation revolved around the job prospects for statisticians and whether it is true that they will always have a job. The participants also discussed the different industries and locations where statisticians are in high demand. Overall, it was agreed that the field of statistics offers a diverse range of job opportunities and is a promising career path for those interested in a variety of subjects. However, the availability of jobs may vary depending on the specific specialization and location.
grendle7
"A statistician will always have a job?"

I attended a college fair, where one would meet the department chair of each program, and inquire about one's interests.

I, obviously, was talking to the mathematics department chair, about job prospects, opportunities, and potentiality with the different concentrations offered, for the mathematics major. I asked about job safety for statisticians, or something along that idea, and I remember his verbatim being, "As a statistician, you'll always have a job."

Is that true? Was he generalizing?

I find the profession really appealing, too, because I would be able to learn about so many different subjects, while I do the job, and I'm one of the vary largely minded people, of whom is interested in a multiple of different subjects. I also enjoy abstract mathematics and some philosophies behind the mathematics of probabilities; great mind-masturbation.

I'm still a high school senior, so I have loads of time to make my mind up, by the way.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

grendle7 said:
I attended a college fair, where one would meet the department chair of each program, and inquire about one's interests.

I, obviously, was talking to the mathematics department chair, about job prospects, opportunities, and potentiality with the different concentrations offered, for the mathematics major. I asked about job safety for statisticians, or something along that idea, and I remember his verbatim being, "As a statistician, you'll always have a job."

I find the profession really appealing, too, because I would be able to learn about so many different subjects, while I do the job, and I'm one of the vary largely minded people, of whom is interested in a multiple of different subjects. I also enjoy abstract mathematics and some philosophies behind the mathematics of probabilities; great mind-masturbation.

I'm still a high school senior, so I have loads of time to make my mind up, by the way.

What do you all think?

Insurance companies and the government employ a lot of statisticians. Whereas if you specialize in, say, abstract algebra, your job prospects are limited to being a professor. I think that's what he meant.

SteveL27 said:
Insurance companies and the government employ a lot of statisticians. Whereas if you specialize in, say, abstract algebra, your job prospects are limited to being a professor. I think that's what he meant.

Someone who specializes in abstract algebra would likely want to be a professor, but there a few more options. Microsoft employs a great number of pure mathematicians who's job it is to research anything even remotely related to computability theory, complexity theory, algorithms, etc. The CIA, of course, would be more than happy to pay you to research algebraic number theory.

SteveL27 said:

True. According to the U.S. Department of Labour, 1/3 of statisticians are employed by the government.

I'd agree with you, on the marketableness of taking on abstract algebra. You'll gain plenty of applicable universal skills, but not attain instant applicableness to direct empirical topics; as to a course of partial differential equations, for engineering, so to say.

Number Nine said:
Someone who specializes in abstract algebra would likely want to be a professor, but there a few more options. Microsoft employs a great number of pure mathematicians who's job it is to research anything even remotely related to computability theory, complexity theory, algorithms, etc. The CIA, of course, would be more than happy to pay you to research algebraic number theory.

[Lulz] Which reminds me that I'm also interested in cryptography, but it's not for sure. I haven't even taken calculus three, yet. So, I feel like I can't really speak for how great the upper-division mathematics classes are, or mathematical probability.

Lot's of "ifs" ar'implied there.

grendle7 said:

What do you all think?

As a statistician, you'll be able to calculate how accurate the math chair's statement was.

I worked for a large paper company that employed many statisticians. The only problem I see about the field is the jobs are not evenly distributed geographically - you may have to move.

lisab said:
As a statistician, you'll be able to calculate how accurate the math chair's statement was.

I worked for a large paper company that employed many statisticians. The only problem I see about the field is the jobs are not evenly distributed geographically - you may have to move.

From what I understand, statisticians are in considerable demand, in both the US and Canada. The caveat here is that the availability of jobs will depend on the specific specialization or application of statistics.

For example, if you are a biostatistician, the jobs will tend to be clustered in areas where there are a large number of pharmaceutical/biotechnology firms or clinical research organizations (CROs for short -- essentially contract companies). In the US that would be the West Coast, the Northeast (in particular New Jersey, the Greater Philadelphia area in Pennsylvania, and the Boston corridor in Massachussetts), the Greater DC area (this would include parts of Maryland and northern Virginia) and the Research Triangle Park of North Carolina (where GSK is based). If you choose to work for a large teaching hospital, then the job availability will expand to college towns or larger cities as well.

Another example will be if you are a statistician speciailizing in finance. Then most jobs in the US will tend to be clustered around NYC. I'm not sure if analytics/data mining firms are clustered in specific locations in the US, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

So, the type of profession which I choose to apply my expertise in also has a lot do with whole thing, eh?

Would any of you know about job opportunities across the Americas? I'd actually be quite fine with moving across the Americas, for a job in statistics. I'm fluent in all of the elite languages, of the Americas; which is why I ask...

o_O

1. What is a statistician and what do they do?

A statistician is a professional who uses mathematical and statistical techniques to collect, analyze, and interpret data. They work in a variety of industries and help organizations make data-driven decisions.

2. Why is there a high demand for statisticians?

With the increasing amount of data being generated in various fields, there is a growing need for professionals who can make sense of this data and provide valuable insights. Statisticians are highly skilled in analyzing data and their expertise is in high demand.

3. What are the job prospects for statisticians?

The job prospects for statisticians are very promising. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of statisticians is projected to grow 33% from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations.

4. What skills are required to become a successful statistician?

To be a successful statistician, one needs strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematical and statistical concepts, and the ability to communicate complex data in a clear and understandable manner. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and data analysis software is also beneficial.

5. Can a statistician work in different industries?

Yes, statisticians can work in a variety of industries such as healthcare, finance, government, market research, and many more. Every industry collects and utilizes data, and statisticians can apply their skills in any industry to help organizations make informed decisions.