Question about the size of a set.

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the number of elements in an uncountable union of uncountable sets depends on the cardinality of the sets and whether they are disjoint or not. In this scenario, with 2^{\aleph_0} sets each with 2^{\aleph_0} elements and all sets being disjoint, the resulting union would have 2^{\aleph_0} elements. The proof for this can be found in a set theory book.
cragar
If I had an uncountable number of sets, and each of these sets had an uncountable number of elements. Then I took the union of all of these sets would the number of elements be uncountable or would it be [itex] 2^{\aleph_1} [/itex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First of all, [itex]2^{\aleph_1}[/itex] IS uncountable.

Second, you failed to mention the cardinality of your number of sets and the cardinality of the sets in question. The answer depends crucially on that.
Also, the answer depends on whether the sets are disjoint or not.

Right now, the only thing we can say is: if you have an uncountable union of uncountable sets, then this union will be an uncountable set. It might or might not be [itex]2^{\aleph_1}[/itex].

I have [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] sets. And they each have [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] elements. And all the sets are disjoint. The sets share no common elements.

Then you'll end up with [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex] elements.

ok thanks for your answer. I am trying to think how you would prove that. Could you give me a hint on how to prove that. I mean if I had a countable number of sets I could just map all the elements in the first set to all the numbers between 0 and 1 and then for the next set map them to 1 to 2. I am not sure how you would do it with an uncountable number of sets.

Last edited:
Any good set theory book will prove this.

1. What is the size of a set?

The size of a set is the number of elements or objects in the set. It is also known as the cardinality of a set.

2. How is the size of a set determined?

The size of a set can be determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the set. For example, if a set contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4, its size would be 4.

3. Can the size of a set be infinite?

Yes, the size of a set can be infinite. For example, the set of all real numbers has an infinite number of elements.

4. Is the size of a set affected by the order of its elements?

No, the size of a set is not affected by the order of its elements. For instance, the set {a, b, c} has the same size as the set {c, b, a}.

5. How is the size of a set denoted?

The size of a set is denoted using the symbol |S|, where S is the name of the set. For example, if S = {1, 2, 3}, the size of S would be denoted as |S| = 3.