Frobenius Method - Roots differ by integer

In summary, the textbook states that for two standard Frobenius series y1 and y2 to be linearly independent, their roots σ1 and σ2 must differ by a non-integer value. This is because the coefficients of the powers of x must all be zero for the equation ay1 + by2 = c to hold, and this is only possible if one term cancels the other, which can only happen when σ1 and σ2 differ by a non-integer value.
asras
I'm reading up on some methods to solve differential equations. My textbook states the following:

"[itex]y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}[/itex] are linearly independent ... since [itex]\sigma_{1}-\sigma_2[/itex] is not an integer."

Where [itex]y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]y_{2}[/itex] are the standard Frobenius series and [itex]\sigma_1[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_2[/itex] are the roots of the indicial equation.

I'm having trouble seeing how the above follows and would appreciate some input. I'm using "Essential Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences" and the quote is (albeit slightly paraphrased) from page 282, for reference.

Incidentally this is my first post. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
y1 and y2 are linearly dependent if ay1 + by2 = c
a,b,c= const.
let, y1=[itex]\sum[/itex]nxn+σ1
y1=[itex]\sum[/itex]nxn+σ1
then ay1[itex]\sum[/itex]nxn+σ1 + by1[itex]\sum[/itex]nxn+σ1=c

Since right hand side is const. , all the coefficients of the powers of x are zero. This is possible if one term arising in the first summation cancels the other. This is possible only when σ1 and σ2 differ by integer. then n can assume different values and cancel the coefficients.
So, for independentness, σ1-σ2=fraction

Last edited:

What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used in differential equations to find solutions when the roots of the characteristic equation differ by an integer. It is particularly useful for solving second-order linear differential equations with variable coefficients.

What does it mean for roots to differ by an integer?

When the roots of a characteristic equation differ by an integer, it means that the difference between any two consecutive roots is a whole number. For example, if the roots are 1 and 3, the difference between them is 2, which is a whole number.

Why is it important to use the Frobenius method for roots that differ by an integer?

The Frobenius method is important because it allows us to find solutions to differential equations that cannot be solved using other methods. When the roots of the characteristic equation differ by an integer, the standard method of solving linear differential equations may not work, making the Frobenius method a valuable alternative.

What are some applications of the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to solve differential equations that arise in problems involving quantum systems, such as the Schrödinger equation.

What are some limitations of the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method can only be used for linear differential equations with variable coefficients. It is also limited to finding solutions that are analytic, meaning they can be expressed as a power series. Additionally, the method may not always yield a solution, and if it does, it may not be unique.