Integrating (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a Constant y_i

In summary, the conversation is about an exact equation that is defined for all real numbers on an x,y plane. The function is broken down into two components, P(x,y) and Q(x,y), and the initial integration values are set at x_i = 0 and y_i = 0. The author reasons that the integration of Q(x,y) is equal to the integration of y and explains how this conclusion is reached. The integration of P(x,y) is also discussed, with the author explaining the reasoning behind it. The final result is a constant, which is obtained by setting the original differential equation equal to 0.
Nano-Passion
Function is

(x - 2xy + e^y) dx + (y - x^2 + xe^y) dy = 0

Okay so it is the standard convenient exact equation for newbies. Now here is the part that confuses me.

(a) Let P(x,y) = (x - 2xy + e^y) dx & Q(x,y) = (y - x^2 + xe^y) dy

The function is defined for all real Numbers on an x,y plane. So we start with the initial integration of x_i = 0 & y_i = 0

Now the author reasons that the integration of Q(x,y) is simply equal to the integration of y

(from 0 to y) ∫ (y - x^2 + xe^y) dy = (from o to y) ∫ y dy

Okay so it makes sense, since the initial value of x is zero, and since we are keeping x constant, it therefore follows that x will be 0 for all values and we can simply leave it at that.

Now the part that confuses me is that he does not do the same for the other function P(x,y) dx regardless of the fact that y_i = 0.

(a) gives x^2/2 - x^2y + xe^y + y^2/2 = c

Physics news on Phys.org
It can help to understand the motivation by going through the process in reverse vis:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx

aside:
the part that confuses me is that he does not do the same for the other function
... who? What does he do instead?

Remember I cannot see what you are looking at, you have to tell me - or provide a link.
I'm guessing that you mean that Q was integrated wrt y and P wrt x... which leads to the suggestion above ;)

Nano-Passion said:
Function is

Okay so it is the standard convenient exact equation for newbies. Now here is the part that confuses me.

(a) Let P(x,y) = (x - 2xy + e^y) dx & Q(x,y) = (y - x^2 + xe^y) dy
Strictly speaking, "dx" and "dy" are not part of the P and Q. What you want to say is that
df= P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy so that [itex]P(x,y)= x- 2xy+ e^y[/itex] and [itex]Q(x,y)= y- x^2+ xe^y[/itex].

The function is defined for all real Numbers on an x,y plane. So we start with the initial integration of x_i = 0 & y_i = 0

Now the author reasons that the integration of Q(x,y) is simply equal to the integration of y

(from 0 to y) ∫ (y - x^2 + xe^y) dy = (from o to y) ∫ y dy

Okay so it makes sense, since the initial value of x is zero, and since we are keeping x constant, it therefore follows that x will be 0 for all values and we can simply leave it at that.

Now the part that confuses me is that he does not do the same for the other function P(x,y) dx regardless of the fact that y_i = 0.

(a) gives x^2/2 - x^2y + xe^y + y^2/2 = c

Well, I can't speak for "the author" since I don't quite follow that (I don't see where the "ydy" on the right comes from). But I would say that, if f(x,y) is a differentiable function of x and y then we have
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/tex]
so we must have
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= x - 2xy + e^y[/tex]
integrating with respect to x, [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+ \phi(y)[/itex].
(Since the partial derivative with respect to x treats y as a constant, the "constant of integration" may be a function of y hence the "[itex]\phi(y)[/itex]".)

Differentiating that with respect to y we get
[tex]f_y(x,y)=-x^2+ xe^y+ \phi'(y)[/tex]
where, because [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of y only, that last derivative is an ordinary derivative.
Looking back to the original equation we must have
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= -x^2+ xe^y+ \phi'(y)= y - x^2 + xe^y[/tex]
so that [itex]\phi'(y)= y[/itex] and [itex]\phi= (1/2)y^2+ C[/itex] where, since [itex]\phi[/itex] really is a function of the single variable, y, C, the "constant of integration, reall9y is a constant.

Putting that into [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+ \phi(y)[/itex], we have [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+(1/2)y^2)[/itex]. Because the original differential equation was "df= 0", f is a constant: [itex](1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+(1/2)y^2)= C[/itex]

Let me highlight the main points.

He sets the initial integration of x_i = 0 & y_i = 0

Q(x,y) = (y - x^2 + xe^y)

Quote from author in this example, "with x_i = 0, Q(x_i,y) = y"

HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking, "dx" and "dy" are not part of the P and Q. What you want to say is that
df= P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy so that [itex]P(x,y)= x- 2xy+ e^y[/itex] and [itex]Q(x,y)= y- x^2+ xe^y[/itex].
Well, I can't speak for "the author" since I don't quite follow that (I don't see where the "ydy" on the right comes from). But I would say that, if f(x,y) is a differentiable function of x and y then we have
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/tex]
so we must have
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= x - 2xy + e^y[/tex]
integrating with respect to x, [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+ \phi(y)[/itex].
(Since the partial derivative with respect to x treats y as a constant, the "constant of integration" may be a function of y hence the "[itex]\phi(y)[/itex]".)

Differentiating that with respect to y we get
[tex]f_y(x,y)=-x^2+ xe^y+ \phi'(y)[/tex]
where, because [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of y only, that last derivative is an ordinary derivative.
Looking back to the original equation we must have
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= -x^2+ xe^y+ \phi'(y)= y - x^2 + xe^y[/tex]
so that [itex]\phi'(y)= y[/itex] and [itex]\phi= (1/2)y^2+ C[/itex] where, since [itex]\phi[/itex] really is a function of the single variable, y, C, the "constant of integration, reall9y is a constant.

Putting that into [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+ \phi(y)[/itex], we have [itex]f(x,y)= (1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+(1/2)y^2)[/itex]. Because the original differential equation was "df= 0", f is a constant: [itex](1/2)x^2- x^2y+ xe^y+(1/2)y^2)= C[/itex]

I know, exact equations are very straight forward to me now I've got them down. I picked up this book and used its exact equation chapter to review https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is very good book and it is definitely my favorite in differential equations, but I just don't know the motivation behind what he did (stated in the original post).

Simon Bridge said:
It can help to understand the motivation by going through the process in reverse vis:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx

aside:... who? What does he do instead?

Remember I cannot see what you are looking at, you have to tell me - or provide a link.
I'm guessing that you mean that Q was integrated wrt y and P wrt x... which leads to the suggestion above ;)

I'm sorry that didn't help, I understand exact equations for the most part. Just not what the author did in this case.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I figured it out. I was mis-interpreting the proof and technique that he proposed. What happens is that in his technique, initial x in Q(x_0,y) is 0, so when you integrate with respect to y, you can cancel out all the terms that have x! It is a very nice technique so I included the proof (it also serves as the technique itself).

Most of the words I copied out of the book, credit goes to the book by Pollard and Tenenbaum, called ordinary differential equations.

A necessary & sufficient condition that the differential equation

[itex] P(x,y) dx + Q(x,y)dy = 0[/itex] be exact is that [itex]\frac{∂}{∂y} P(x,y) = \frac{∂}{∂x} Q(x,y) [/itex]
Where the functions exist and are continuous in a region R.

Proof of sufficient condition

The function f(x,y) if it exists, must have a property that [itex]/frac{∂ f(x,y)}{∂x} = P(x,y) [/itex]

With y constant we obtain [itex] eq (1) f(x,y) = \int_{x_o}^{x} P(x,y) dx + R(y)[/itex]

Where x_o is a constant & R(y) stands for the arbitrary constant of integration.

By definition, function f(x,y) must have the property that [itex] \frac{∂}{∂y}f(x,y) = Q(x,y)[/itex]

[itex] \frac{∂}{∂y} \int {x_o}^{x} P(x,y) dx + R'(y) = Q(x,y)[/itex]

By hypotheses P(x,y) is continuous, and by a theorem in analysis we may do the following:

[itex] \int {x_o}^{x} \frac{∂}{∂y} P(x,y) dx + R'(y) = Q(x,y)[/itex]

Which is the same as

[itex] \int_{x_o}^{x} \frac{∂}{∂x} Q(x,y) dx + R'(y) = Q(x,y) [/itex]

[itex] \left[Q(x,y) \right]_{x_o}^{x} + R'(y) = Q(x,y) [/itex]

Which simplfies to [itex] R'(y) = Q(x_o,y)[/itex]
[itex]R(y) = \int_{y_o}^{y} Q(x_0,y) dy[/itex], where y_0 is a constant
Substituting in eq 1 we get

[itex] f(x,y) = \int_{x_o}^{x} P(x,y)dx + \int_{y_o}^{y} Q(x_o,y) dy[/itex] is the solution

If anyone needs any clarification, please let me know.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of integrating (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i?

The purpose of integrating (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i is to find the antiderivative of the given function. This process involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

What is the first step in integrating (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i?

The first step is to identify the variable of integration, in this case, it is x. This means that we will be integrating with respect to x while treating y_i as a constant.

How do you integrate (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i?

To integrate (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i, we use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n dx is equal to x^(n+1) / (n+1) + C. We apply this rule to each term in the function and then add the constant of integration, C, at the end.

What is the significance of the constant y_i in this integration?

The constant y_i represents a fixed value of y. This means that when we integrate with respect to x, we are treating y_i as a constant and not as a variable. This can be useful when we want to find the general antiderivative of a function instead of a specific solution.

Are there any limitations to integrating (x - 2xy + e^y) dx for a constant y_i?

Yes, there are limitations. This integration only works for a specific value of y_i. If we want to integrate for a different value of y, we would need to use the chain rule to account for the change in y. Additionally, this integration only applies to functions that are continuous and differentiable within the given interval.