Is Completing an Undergraduate Thesis Worth the Effort?

In summary, the undergraduate thesis is not expected to contain original work, so don't be dissapointed. The hardest part wasn't even the math, it was definitely making the Latex document. I learned more than I ever thought I would, and I think the most valuable things are learned are actually the latex stuff and the things I learned about writing a thesis in general.
ArcanaNoir
I just finished my undergraduate thesis and I wanted to share it with everybody! It's not exactly what I wanted it to be, my professor pulled rank and changed the contents, but it's still a representation of a lot of hard work. The undergraduate thesis is not expected to contain original work, so don't be dissapointed.
The hardest part wasn't even the math, it was definitely making the Latex document!
I'm so glad I chose to do a thesis as an undergrad though. I learned more than I ever thought I would. And sure I learned math, which was totally awesome and fun, but I think the most valuable things are learned are actually the latex stuff and the things I learned about writing a thesis in general. (But don't tell my professor that.) Now, any time I want to whip out a latex document I can do it with ease. I can turn in class homework all typed up prettiful just to perturb my professors. And as for thesis-ing, I made some serious mistakes that would not have gone overlooked as a grad student. Like not giving myself enough time to do it the way I wanted to...

So here it is, for better or for worse!

zomg I almost just uploaded the pdf with the title page with my name and university for all to see :uhh:

Attachments

• Dedekind Proof Tex.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
Beautiful thesis.
Congratulations! :smile:

ArcanaNoir said:
I just finished my undergraduate thesis and I wanted to share it with everybody! It's not exactly what I wanted it to be, my professor pulled rank and changed the contents, but it's still a representation of a lot of hard work. The undergraduate thesis is not expected to contain original work, so don't be dissapointed.
The hardest part wasn't even the math, it was definitely making the Latex document!
I'm so glad I chose to do a thesis as an undergrad though. I learned more than I ever thought I would. And sure I learned math, which was totally awesome and fun, but I think the most valuable things are learned are actually the latex stuff and the things I learned about writing a thesis in general. (But don't tell my professor that.) Now, any time I want to whip out a latex document I can do it with ease. I can turn in class homework all typed up prettiful just to perturb my professors. And as for thesis-ing, I made some serious mistakes that would not have gone overlooked as a grad student. Like not giving myself enough time to do it the way I wanted to...

So here it is, for better or for worse!

zomg I almost just uploaded the pdf with the title page with my name and university for all to see :uhh:

great thesis
No doubt thesis need hard work. its depended for your future.

Yay! Thanks guys :)

Congratulations ArcanaNoir and well done: be proud!

Congrats! :smile:

Very nice! Good job! :D

ArcanaNoir said:
any time I want to whip out a latex document I can do it with ease.
The last time that I whipped out something with latex on it, I got arrested. I called it "freedom of expression"; the cops called it "indecent exposure". Go figure... :rolleyes:

Danger said:
The last time that I whipped out something with latex on it, I got arrested. I called it "freedom of expression"; the cops called it "indecent exposure". Go figure... :rolleyes:

Next time use more latex!

ArcanaNoir said:
Next time use more latex!

Yes... I saw a Z in there that should really be a ##\mathbb{Z}##! ;)

I like Serena said:

I'm not sure why, but that sounds uncomfortable.

I like Serena said:

Oh noes! Well, I'd rather have a Z in the wrong font than an actual error. Font choice is probably the most innocuous mistake I could make.

Yay Arcana! You go girl =p. Just one question: you said you were glad you CHOSE to do a bachelor's thesis...isn't it required? Or is that more of a physics thing?

Danger said:
I'm not sure why, but that sounds uncomfortable.
ArcanaNoir said:
Oh noes! Well, I'd rather have a Z in the wrong font than an actual error. Font choice is probably the most innocuous mistake I could make.

It's not really a mistake since mathematically a font choice is irrelevant (as long as there is no ambiguity).
Consistent fonts look nice though, just like latex looks good (on people ;).

I like Serena said:
latex looks good (on people ;).

Too right! :tongue2:

As for fonts, I always prefer Comic Sans.

Whoa...what are all those strange symbols and hieroglyphs? I vaguely remember hearing of them before...something like...numbers? Math? It's all so confusing...

But seriously, congratulations!

I'm glad that someone injected a note of seriousness, because I felt really uncomfortable at the thought of doing so myself. Now that it's been done, though...
Congratulations, Arcana. I can't read your thesis, but I take the judgement of the others that it's great. (I started to read your link, but couldn't follow it past the second sentence of the introduction. It seems to have something to do with math, and that's as far as I could get.)
I hope that doesn't mean that we can't be friends.

Danger said:
I hope that doesn't mean that we can't be friends.

Lol that's okay, my parents didn't even try to read it. I showed it to them and they were like "I already read your title page, honey." and I was like, "no, I want you to read the whole thing!" and they were like, "no...thats okay..." >_<

WannabeNewton said:
Yay Arcana! You go girl =p. Just one question: you said you were glad you CHOSE to do a bachelor's thesis...isn't it required? Or is that more of a physics thing?

Definitely not required. Not required for anyone in any discipline that I know of at my school except the honors college.

Congratulations on the thesis. It's quite an acheivement.

Well done!

ArcanaNoir said:
Lol that's okay, my parents didn't even try to read it.
Well, technically I can read it, but with a total lack of clue. It would be like when Lucy reads PF with me. The only word that she knows is her own name, and then only if it's in all caps. Apparently that's not bad for a 14-year-old these days, but I had hoped better for her.

Astronuc said:
Congratulations on the thesis. It's quite an acheivement.

Well done!

Thanks Astro!

Danger said:
Well, technically I can read it, but with a total lack of clue. It would be like when Lucy reads PF with me. The only word that she knows is her own name, and then only if it's in all caps. Apparently that's not bad for a 14-year-old these days, but I had hoped better for her.

That's okay, it would require actually thinking to really follow the math, I'm just looking for people to read the word parts and admire the pretty typesetting. That's all I do when I look back at it now :)

ArcanaNoir said:
I'm just looking for people to read the word parts

I didn't realize that there are word parts. In that case, I'll definitely give it a go. It'll have to wait a couple of hours, though. "The Spy Next Door" is about to come on TV, and I've never seen it. I can do PF and Adventure Quest while watching movies, but not read a serious document.

The word parts are like pretty much just the first two paragraphs... And then a sentence here and there.. You can replace finite abelian groups with "apples" and other such substitutions. It reads the same.

1. What is an undergraduate thesis?

An undergraduate thesis is a research project or academic paper completed by a student during their undergraduate studies. It is typically a requirement for graduation and allows students to showcase their knowledge and skills in a specific subject area.

2. How long does it take to complete an undergraduate thesis?

The time it takes to complete an undergraduate thesis can vary depending on the specific requirements of the program and the student's individual progress. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to complete.

3. What is the purpose of an undergraduate thesis?

The main purpose of an undergraduate thesis is to provide students with an opportunity to conduct independent research and demonstrate their ability to critically analyze and synthesize information. It also allows students to develop their writing and presentation skills.

4. What are some tips for successfully completing an undergraduate thesis?

Some tips for successfully completing an undergraduate thesis include starting early, staying organized, seeking guidance from professors and mentors, and being open to constructive feedback. It is also important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and to manage your time effectively.

5. How does an undergraduate thesis contribute to a student's academic and career development?

An undergraduate thesis can contribute to a student's academic and career development in several ways. It allows students to delve deeper into a specific subject area and develop a deeper understanding of it. It also demonstrates their research and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many fields. Additionally, completing an undergraduate thesis can help students stand out in the job market or when applying to graduate programs.