Sign the e-petition to support pi

In summary, the poster thinks that the use of Greek letters for all kinds of things instead of just angles is a bad idea, and that voting scientific truths is a form of the equivocation fallacy. They also think that the website asking for too much personal information is a problem.
dimension10
Here is a petition about supporting pi against tau. So if you think that pi should not be changed, please sign this petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/khan-academy-withdraw-the-support-for-tau. I'm not sure if the petition will help, but...

P.S. If this petitions are not allowed, by all means lock or delete this thread, but please don't give me an infraction!

Physics news on Phys.org
vi hart makes cool youtube videos. If she's supporting tau, then so am I!

Actually, I have a problem with both so don't really care who wins. Greek letters should represent angles; not constants! pi should be the symbol for longitude of perigee; not 3.14!

If you start using Greek letters for all kinds of things instead of just angles, how will anybody ever know what the heck is going on?!

Secret tip: It's always better to hope banning doesn't occur to mentors than to remind them they have the power! Fortunately, a glitch in the software results in mentors not being able to read posts written in Lemon Chiffon.

BobG said:
vi hart makes cool youtube videos. If she's supporting tau, then so am I!

Actually, I have a problem with both so don't really care who wins. Greek letters should represent angles; not constants! pi should be the symbol for longitude of perigee; not 3.14!

If you start using Greek letters for all kinds of things instead of just angles, how will anybody ever know what the heck is going on?!
Why's there such a large blank space at the bottom of this post? I'm so confused :confused: :eek:

Ryan_m_b said:
Why's there such a large blank space at the bottom of this post? I'm so confused :confused: :eek:
I had the same question. Is there a glitch?

Evo said:
I had the same question. Is there a glitch?
Hmmm perhaps we should ban everyone just to be sure nothing dodgy is going on...

Ryan_m_b said:
Hmmm perhaps we should ban everyone just to be sure nothing dodgy is going on...
Oh, that's a good idea! We can never be too careful.

Mentors going off on tangents is always a bad sine.

Try to keep your posts on topic.

Of course, if only angles can be represented by Greek letters, we'll have a problem with constants. I think constants should be represented with letters from the Cyrillic alphabet. I suggest the lower case Cyrillic 'P' for pi (i.e. - 3.14159...)

BobG said:
Mentors going off on tangents is always a bad sine.

Aaarrrrgggghhhhh...

If they substitute tau for pi then ... ... ... mentors should ban lemon chiffon tau. Sorry. I tried to stay on topic as you suggested, but it was too hard.

Tau or pi, no big deal, I couldn't care less. If something's got to go, let it be "ksi."

What's that?

Oh, the cascade hyperon!

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of Indiana Pi Bill. Don't you think voting scientific truths is a form of the equivocation fallacy? I mean, sure, legal laws get to be voted into effect, but legal laws are not the same as scientific laws conveying some scientific truth.

Besides, that website is asking for WAAAAAYYY too much personal information for my taste.

EDIT:

e-petition to support [itex]\pi[/itex] ... hehehehe

Last edited:
I'll have to use transcendental meditation to decide.

george jones said:
i'll have to use transcendental meditation to decide.

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Danger said:
Aaarrrrgggghhhhh...

I secant that! :biggrin:

Dickfore said:
Besides, that website is asking for WAAAAAYYY too much personal information for my taste.

Then why not sign anonymously? E.g.

First Name: Pi
Last Name: Wins
Email: Pi_rules@gmail.com
Address: Pi Street
City: Pi City
Post Code: 3141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034

dimension10 said:
Then why not sign anonymously? E.g.

First Name: Pi
Last Name: Wins
Email: Pi_rules@gmail.com
Address: Pi Street
City: Pi City
Post Code: 3141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034
Thanks a lot pal. I hope someone exposes all of your personal information on the web too.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Thanks a lot pal. I hope someone exposes all of your personal information on the web too.

No, its supposed to be fake!

"I'll have to use transcendental meditation to decide."

I'm not sure whether you are irrational or analytic.

ApplePion said:
"I'll have to use transcendental meditation to decide."
That's like using sand to start a fire.

george jones said:
i'll have to use transcendental meditation to decide.

Chi Meson said:
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ
:rofl:

1. What is the purpose of the e-petition to support pi?

The purpose of the e-petition is to gather support for designating pi as the universal mathematical constant and to encourage its use in all scientific calculations and equations.

2. Who can sign the e-petition to support pi?

Anyone can sign the e-petition as long as they have a valid email address and are in agreement with the cause. This includes scientists, mathematicians, and members of the general public.

3. How will signing the e-petition benefit the scientific community?

By gathering a significant number of signatures, the e-petition will demonstrate the widespread support for using pi as the universal constant. This will encourage the scientific community to adopt pi as the standard constant, leading to more accurate and consistent calculations.

4. Is signing the e-petition legally binding?

No, signing the e-petition is not legally binding. It is simply a way to show support for the cause and raise awareness about the importance of pi in scientific calculations.

5. How else can I support the e-petition to support pi?

In addition to signing the e-petition, you can also share it with others and encourage them to sign as well. You can also reach out to your local government representatives and urge them to support the designation of pi as the universal constant.