What is the Best Way to Revive a Passion for Physics?

• Thread starter joelwatts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, there are several practical ways to revive a passion for physics, such as attending conferences or joining a club. To stay motivated and engaged in physics studies, setting goals and finding a mentor can be helpful. There are also resources and tools available to reignite passion, including online courses and science fairs. In order to overcome burnout or lack of interest, taking a break and exploring other interests can be beneficial. It is possible to regain passion for physics after a long break by starting with the basics and finding a study partner or group for support.
joelwatts
favorite fish: halibut

my name is actually joel. i work as an automotive technician currently. i went to school for it. (huge mistake) i like the wrc, brazillian jiu-jitsu, and dogs. married w/ no kids. wife is currently finishing up her undergrad for physical therapy. i love long walks around the kitchen and beer snobbery. i hate my job and generally annoying people. i have recently revived my love for physics and intend to go back to school once we know where my wife will be going to med school. but for now I'm dusting off all of my old books and pouring over them feverishly. I'm not very intelligent so it may take me awhile but i just don't care. so please, bear with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Joel!

Welcome!

joelwatts said:
favorite fish: halibut
:rofl: welcome! *smacks joelwatts with a 700 lbs halibut*

Oooh someone that knows the initiation rites!

Welcome joel!

Well, I hope you didn't come here just for the halibut...

(you all may groan if you like)

jtbell said:

:rofl:

Welcome! Be sure to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

one of my physics professors was raised in the shop by a mechanic.

Thanks for the welcomes and I am pretty well aquatinted with Monty python. I am sure I'll be referencing that particular video more than once school starts back for me.

Hello from me. You don't know me yet, but you will. I hope you were able to clean up whatever it was that you were pouring over your books.

^funny this guy is.

jtbell said:

Stop carping, I'm sure that's not his sole reason.

Monique said:
:rofl: welcome! *smacks joelwatts with a 700 lbs halibut*

Pow!

Good thing Joel's wife has medical training!

Welcome, Joel!

Curious3141 said:
:tongue2:

Curious3141 said:

He has probably a bigger fish to fry.

Andre said:
He has probably a bigger fish to fry.

Let's not flounder for puns. Arowana derail this thread with red herrings, it's already bream-ing with them. And turbot...oops, I mean turbo, hasn't even got in on the action yet.

I didn't mean to chum the waters with my introduction.

joelwatts said:

No harm no fowl.

Am I doing this right?

joelwatts said:

Chum off it, we know you were always fishing for trouble. This is a crappie thread anyway.OK, I confess, I had no idea till now that "crappie" was the name of an actual fish. This will be very helpful in skirting word bans in future flame wars. :tongue2:

Uh-oh, looks like my "hailbut" pun has baited a school of clownfish.

Something fishy going on here...

yeah, makes a fellow ichthy.
scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-medium.gif

Last edited:

1. What are some practical ways to revive a passion for physics?

One practical way to revive a passion for physics is to attend science conferences or workshops where you can learn about new discoveries and interact with other passionate physicists. Another way is to join a physics club or group where you can discuss and explore different topics in physics with like-minded individuals.

2. How can I stay motivated and engaged in my physics studies?

One way to stay motivated and engaged in physics is to set specific goals and objectives for yourself. This could include completing a certain number of practice problems or reading a certain number of scientific papers each week. Additionally, finding a mentor or role model who shares your passion for physics can also help keep you motivated.

3. Are there any resources or tools that can help reignite my passion for physics?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help revive your passion for physics. Some popular options include online courses, virtual simulations, and educational videos. You could also consider attending science fairs or visiting museums to see physics in action.

4. How can I overcome burnout or a lack of interest in physics?

If you are experiencing burnout or a lack of interest in physics, it may be helpful to take a break and explore other interests or hobbies. This can help you clear your mind and come back to physics with a fresh perspective. Additionally, finding a new and exciting area of physics to focus on can also help reignite your passion.

5. Is it possible to regain a passion for physics after a long break?

Yes, it is definitely possible to regain a passion for physics after a long break. One way to do this is by starting with the basics and gradually building up your knowledge and understanding. You could also try finding a study partner or joining a study group to help keep you motivated and accountable. Remember to be patient with yourself and enjoy the learning process.