Event generator and detector simulation softwares

In summary: Alternatively, there's Delphes, which is a bit more comprehensive, but again, not as user-friendly as PGS.
erkant
I'm looking for some event generator and detector simulation software. While I was searching, I found a lot of event generator software like PYTHIA, HERWIG, etc. But I was having difficulties in finding a software that will create a detector simulation. If you could tell me which event generator is the best in your opinion, and name some detector simulation software, I would be glad.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but when I performed a simulation I used GEANT4. It is a software developed by CERN and it allows you to do both event and detector simulations.

Another package you might like to look at is MadGraph5. This package allows you to generate Feynman diagrams, calculate cross-sections and generate events. The generated parton level events can be analysed with an addon package called "MadAnalysis" or passed to a showering/hadronization program like Pythia and then passed through a detector simulator such as PGS or Delphes. All these packages can be installed simultaneously with MadGraph5.

One of the nice things about this package is that it can generate events for any theoretical model (SM & any BSM) and there are many model files supplied with the install. New models can easily be defined by the user by hand or you can try the Mathematica package "FeynRules" which can automatically generate MadGraph5 model files once the user defines the correct Lagrangian.

To answer your question

Basically, no. Not as far as I know. The XML databases used to describe the detectors are massive in size (couple of GB), and because the alignment constantly changes (depending on the experiment, you have thermal effects/etc), you need to be able to time-tag it.

As far as I'm aware, you won't be able to get access to it unless you're part of the experiment. You can try, if you'd like, to get Gauss (for LHCb) or Athena (ATLAS), but I'm 99% sure it will not work.

Event generation, on the other hand, is pretty straight forward. The detector simulation, if you're simulating anything like more than a handful of events, you'll need - at minimum - a cluster

You might look at PGS ("Pretty Good Simulation"). It provides for simplified detector models so you don't have to go through GEANT, which has a very apt name.

1. What is an event generator and detector simulation software?

An event generator and detector simulation software is a computer program that simulates the production and detection of particles in high-energy physics experiments. It uses mathematical models and algorithms to generate simulated events that mimic the behavior of real particles in an accelerator or detector.

2. Why are event generator and detector simulation softwares important?

Event generator and detector simulation softwares are essential tools for understanding and interpreting the vast amount of data produced by high-energy physics experiments. They allow scientists to test theories and hypotheses, validate experimental results, and optimize detector designs.

3. How do event generator and detector simulation softwares work?

Event generator and detector simulation softwares use Monte Carlo methods to simulate the interactions of particles with matter and the resulting particle decays. They also incorporate known physical laws and phenomena, such as quantum mechanics and special relativity, to accurately simulate the behavior of particles.

4. Can event generator and detector simulation softwares be used for other fields besides high-energy physics?

Yes, event generator and detector simulation softwares can be adapted for use in other fields such as medical physics, astrophysics, and materials science. They can also be used for educational purposes to teach students about particle interactions and detector technologies.

5. What are some examples of popular event generator and detector simulation softwares?

Some popular event generator and detector simulation softwares used in high-energy physics experiments include GEANT, PYTHIA, and MadGraph. These softwares have been widely used and tested by the scientific community and continue to be updated and improved for more accurate simulations.