Understanding the Centripetal Force of Whirling a Mass on a String

• Thread starter sokenneth1980
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass String
In summary, a person is asking about the force exerted on an object when whirling it at different speeds in a horizontal circle. They mention using equations but are unsure which ones to use. They also mention needing a free-body diagram for one of the questions. The person is new to using the forum and is unsure if this is a homework question or not.
sokenneth1980
Don't know if it is a homework question or not but it was a friend asking me and I feel ashamed because I am engineer but I don't know.

When whirling a supplied mass on a string in a horizontal circle with constant speed. Assume that the mass of the string is negligible compared to the mass of the object you are whirling. If you whirl the mass at a larger constant speed, you can feel a change in the force exerted on your hand by the string. If you whirl the mass at twice the initial speed, how does the forced exerted on the mass compare to the original force? And is the string perfectly horizontal?

It's my first time using the forum, so if it is determined that the above is a homework question, then please let me know and I will post it over there. I just don't know the equations involved.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Four times, I think.

ac8cadb8a51a0e53c5b1db26147639a4.png

Welcome to PF;
And is the string perfectly horizontal?
... this one needs a free-body diagram. The equation is: ##\sum \vec{F} = m\vec{a}##

1. What is the purpose of whirling a mass on a string?

The purpose of whirling a mass on a string is to demonstrate the principles of centripetal force and circular motion. It can also be used to investigate the relationship between the length of the string, the mass of the object, and the speed of rotation.

2. How does the length of the string affect the motion of the whirling mass?

The length of the string affects the motion of the whirling mass by changing the radius of the circular path. A longer string will result in a larger radius and slower speed, while a shorter string will result in a smaller radius and faster speed.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force on the whirling mass?

The centripetal force on the whirling mass is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of rotation, and the length of the string. Increasing any of these factors will result in a larger centripetal force and a larger radius of rotation.

4. How does increasing the speed of rotation affect the motion of the whirling mass?

Increasing the speed of rotation will result in a larger centripetal force and a larger radius of rotation. It will also increase the kinetic energy of the object and may cause it to move in a more elliptical path rather than a perfect circle.

5. What is the difference between whirling a mass on a string and swinging a mass on a string?

Whirling a mass on a string involves rotating the object in a circular path, while swinging a mass on a string involves moving the object back and forth along a straight path. The forces involved in these motions are different, with whirling relying on centripetal force and swinging relying on gravity.