Nuclear energy academia or industry

In summary, if one wanted to work with or research nuclear energy, they would go to academia or industry.
epislon58
If one wanted to work with/research nuclear energy would one go to academia or industry. And if industry, can you name the company? Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
For research contact any Nuclear Engineering department - many engineering graduate schools have one.

For example: http://www.engin.umich.edu/ners/academics/grad

For industry you would need experience (e.g., training from the US Navy's submarine nuclear reactor school), or a degree in nuclear engineering.

Or as a blend of industry/academia try the US national laboratories.

Why not both ?

In my brief academic career (BSEE, with a couple nuclear courses) the professors who had some industry experience presented more interesting lectures. It's because they spoke from personal experience, which is rule #1 in public speaking..

For an extreme* view, see Rickover's "paper reactors, real reactors" here:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover

An academic reactor or reactor plant almost always has the following basic characteristics: (1) It is simple. (2) It is small. (3) It is cheap. (4) It is light. (5) It can be built very quickly. (6) It is very flexible in purpose. (7) Very little development will be required. It will use off-the-shelf components. (8) The reactor is in the study phase. It is not being built now.

On the other hand a practical reactor can be distinguished by the following characteristics: (1) It is being built now. (2) It is behind schedule. (3) It requires an immense amount of development on apparently trivial items. (4) It is very expensive. (5) It takes a long time to build because of its engineering development problems. (6) It is large. (7) It is heavy. (8) It is complicated.

* Rickover was perhaps too harsh ?

There are many aspects to nuclear energy.

ANS can provide some information on careers and various aspects of nuclear engineering.
http://www.ans.org/pi/matters/

One could work in academia or a national lab or research center, or regulatory body.

One could work at a supplier, e.g., AREVA, GEH/GNF, or Toshiba/Westinghouse, or one of the newer SMR developers, e.g., mPower, NuScale, Terrapower, . . .

One could work in the nuclear industry at a nuclear power plant, or in an engineering capacity at a utility, or for one of many engineering/architect firms that support then nuclear industry.

Likes Z_Lea7
Best to just get a job at Walmart, nuclear is dead.

Lol at the above poster. Every field I've ever researched is dead. Computer science, you will be replaced my foreigners, doctors because healthcare Is going to be bad and so on and so forth. So I have decided to do what I am interested in. Because whatever I do, people will always say it is not a good field, due to so and so reason.

Likes Z_Lea7
Battelle just renewed contract to manage Idaho National Lab for five more years...
I am encouraging my two sons to apply.

Jim, if you don't mind me asking, what is your educational background?

epislon58 said:
Jim, if you don't mind me asking, what is your educational background?

it's sparse compared to most of the folks here.
BS in electrical engineering , 1969 , when slide rules roamed the earth.
Took one undergrad course in Reactor Physics because it was a pre-requisite for the course in Reactor Operation, which i also took. Went to work in a nuclear power plant . Loved it, retired in 2002.

What is nuclear energy?

Nuclear energy is the energy released when the nucleus of an atom is split or fused. This energy can then be harnessed and used to generate electricity.

What is the role of academia in nuclear energy?

The role of academia in nuclear energy is to conduct research and provide education and training in the field. This includes studying the science behind nuclear energy, developing new technologies and processes, and training the next generation of nuclear scientists and engineers.

What are the main challenges facing the nuclear energy industry?

The main challenges facing the nuclear energy industry include safety concerns, waste management, and cost. Safety is a top priority and requires strict regulations and protocols to prevent accidents. Waste management involves finding safe and sustainable ways to dispose of radioactive waste. The cost of building and maintaining nuclear power plants is also a significant challenge, as it requires large investments and can be affected by economic and political factors.

How does nuclear energy compare to other forms of energy?

Nuclear energy has the advantage of being a reliable, low-carbon source of energy. It also has a high energy density, meaning it can produce a lot of energy from a small amount of fuel. However, it also has drawbacks, such as the potential for accidents and the issue of nuclear waste disposal. The decision to use nuclear energy should be based on a careful evaluation of these factors and consideration of alternative energy sources.

What are the current advancements in nuclear energy research?

Current advancements in nuclear energy research include developing new reactor designs that are safer and more efficient, finding ways to reduce nuclear waste and make it less toxic, and exploring the potential for nuclear fusion as a source of clean, sustainable energy. There is also ongoing research on improving the reliability and safety of nuclear power plants and finding ways to make them more cost-effective.