Conformal map for regular polygon in circle.

In summary, Patrick is looking for a conformal mapping using complex functions to map the unit circle or upper half plane into a regular polygon with n vertices. He has tried using the Schwarz-Christoffel transformation, but the expression is too complex to integrate for a polygon with 120 vertices. He then discovers a mapping for a regular m-polygon which integrates to produce a polygon when tested numerically.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,

I'm looking for the conformal mapping (using complex functions) that maps the unit circle (or the upper half plane) into a REGULAR polygon with n vertices. I know the Schwarz-Christoffel transformation for an ARBITRARY polygon, but that doesn't help me because the expression is way too complex to be integrated (I'm trying to find the mapping for a polygon with 120 vertices). I was hoping that the fact that the polygon is REGULAR would simplify the problem. I used the mapping on the unit circle in the S-C transform because out of the symmetry of the problem, that allowed me (I would guess) to fix the unknown images of the vertices: they should also be on a regular polygon. But nevertheless, I cannot solve the integral beyond n = 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I found it. For a regular m-polygon, the mapping between the unit circle (z) and the polygon (w) is given by:

dw/dz = 1/(z^m - 1)^(2/m)

which, according to Mathematica, integrates to:

z (1-z^m)^(2/m) (-1 + z^m)^(-2/m) Hypergeometric2F1[1/m, 2/m, 1+1/m,z^m]

and numerically this does indeed reproduce a polygon...

cheers,
Patrick.

Hi there,

Conformal maps are commonly used in mathematics to preserve angles and shapes between two different surfaces. In the case of a regular polygon inscribed in a circle, the conformal map can be constructed using the Schwarz-Christoffel transformation, which is a common technique for mapping polygons onto the upper half plane or unit circle.

However, as you have mentioned, the expression for this transformation can become quite complex, especially for polygons with a large number of vertices. In this case, you may want to consider using a numerical method, such as the finite element method, to approximate the conformal map. This would involve dividing the polygon into smaller, simpler shapes and then using numerical integration techniques to compute the map.

Another approach could be to use a different conformal map that is specifically designed for regular polygons. For example, the Koebe-Andreev-Thurston theorem provides a conformal map for regular polygons with an arbitrary number of vertices. This may be a more suitable option for your problem.

Overall, finding a conformal map for a regular polygon in a circle can be a challenging task, especially for polygons with a large number of vertices. However, with the right techniques and approaches, it is possible to find a solution that accurately maps the polygon onto the circle. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is a conformal map?

A conformal map is a type of transformation that preserves angles between intersecting curves. This means that the shape of the object being mapped is preserved, but the size and orientation may change.

2. How is a conformal map used for regular polygons in a circle?

A conformal map can be used to map a regular polygon onto a circle, preserving the angles between its sides and vertices. This can be useful in various mathematical and geometric applications.

3. What is the formula for a conformal map of a regular polygon in a circle?

The formula for a conformal map of a regular polygon in a circle is z^n, where z is a complex number representing the position of a point on the polygon's perimeter and n is the number of sides of the polygon.

4. Can a conformal map for regular polygons in a circle be extended to any number of sides?

Yes, a conformal map can be extended to any number of sides as long as the polygon is regular and the mapping function is z^n.

5. What are some real-world applications of conformal maps for regular polygons in a circle?

Conformal maps for regular polygons in a circle have various applications in fields such as cartography, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to create accurate maps and models of circular objects and structures.