Why does the n 'fall out' of the square root in the Pythagorean theorem formula?

• Thread starter Kruger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems through observations, experiments, and analysis. Scientists use creativity, critical thinking, and evidence-based reasoning to come up with new theories or ideas, and use methods such as collaboration and peer review to refine and validate them. A hypothesis is an untested explanation while a theory is a well-supported and reliable explanation based on evidence. Scientists ensure the validity and reliability of their experiments through careful design, control groups, and statistical analysis, as well as peer review and replication. It is important to distinguish between correlation and causation, as a relationship between variables does not always imply causation.
Kruger
I postet the formula below (attachment). I don't know how we can get from the first step to the second. I mean why does that n fall "out" of the square root?

Attachments

• integra.bmp
    87.6 KB · Views: 572
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1a, let v=u+n2, then lower limit of v is n2
Step 1b, let u=v

I presume w is independent of u.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain the formula for you. The formula you posted is called the Pythagorean theorem, and it is used to find the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle. The first step of the formula is a^2 + b^2, which represents the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides of the triangle. The second step, c^2, represents the square of the hypotenuse.

To understand why the n falls out of the square root, we need to look at the definition of a square root. The square root of a number is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In this case, the square root of n is n^1/2, because n^1/2 * n^1/2 = n.

Now, when we square n^1/2, we get n^2/2. This is because when we multiply two numbers with the same base, we add their exponents. So, n^1/2 * n^1/2 = n^(1/2 + 1/2) = n^1 = n.

In the formula, we are taking the square root of both sides to solve for n. When we do this, the square root and the square cancel each other out, leaving us with just n on the right side. This is why the n "falls out" of the square root.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the formula better. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. Can somebody explain to me what the scientific method is?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems through observations, experiments, and analysis. It involves several steps, including making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. The goal of the scientific method is to understand and explain natural phenomena in a logical and objective way.

2. How do scientists come up with new theories or ideas?

Scientists use a combination of creativity, critical thinking, and evidence-based reasoning to come up with new theories or ideas. They often build upon existing knowledge and use data from experiments and observations to support their ideas. Additionally, collaboration and peer review are important processes in the scientific community that help refine and validate new theories and ideas.

3. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-tested and widely accepted explanation for a broad set of observations. In other words, a hypothesis is an educated guess that has not yet been extensively tested, while a theory is a well-supported and highly reliable explanation based on a large body of evidence.

4. How do scientists ensure their experiments are valid and reliable?

Scientists use a variety of methods to ensure the validity and reliability of their experiments. This includes carefully designing the experiment, using control groups, conducting multiple trials, and analyzing data using statistical methods. Peer review and replication of experiments by other scientists also help ensure the validity and reliability of scientific research.

5. Can you explain the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable is associated with a change in the other variable. However, this does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. Causation, on the other hand, refers to a relationship where one variable directly causes a change in the other variable. It is important for scientists to carefully consider causation when interpreting data, as correlation does not always imply causation.