Derivative of an integral containing a Dirac delta

In summary, the conversation is discussing the function g(x) defined as the integral of f(x) multiplied by the Dirac delta function, and the question of what the derivative of g(x) would be. It is noted that the fundamental theorem of calculus requires f(x) delta(x) to be continuous and differentiable, which is not the case. The conversation then moves on to discussing the derivative of another function involving the Dirac delta function, and the concept of distributions in mathematics. The conversation ends with a discussion about the value of H(0) and its relevance in terms of distributions.
roast
If I had a function g(x) defined by

[tex]g(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta(x) dx[/tex]

where [tex]\delta(x)[/tex] is the dirac delta function, what would dg(x)/dx be? The fundamental theorem of calculus requires that [tex]f(x) \delta(x)[/tex] needs to be a continuous and differentiable function before I can immediately say that dg(x)/dx = f(x) \delta(x), which is clearly not the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]g(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) \delta(x) dx[/tex]
is not a function of x! It's derivative is 0. In fact that's true of any definite integral of any integrable function! Perhaps a little more interesting would be:
What is the derivative of
[tex]g(x)= \int_{-\infty}^x f(t)\delta(t)dt[/tex]
but not a whole lot more! If x< 0, g(x)= 0 and the derivative is 0. If x> 0, g(x)= f(0) and the derivative is 0. However, g(x) is not differentiable at 0.

(In terms of 'distributions' or 'generalized functions', which is what [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] really is, that is differentiable at 0: the derivative of g(x) is [itex]\delta(x)f(x)[/itex].)

Hmm...

The Heaviside function,

[tex] H(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x \delta(t) \: dt [/tex]

shows what you mean, but how is it that many people define [tex] H(0) = 1/2 [/tex]? I think I'm missing the point...

roast said:
Hmm...

The Heaviside function,

[tex] H(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x \delta(t) \: dt [/tex]

shows what you mean, but how is it that many people define [tex] H(0) = 1/2 [/tex]? I think I'm missing the point...
That is because it is nice if
f(x-)=f(x)=f(x+)
but if
f(x+)!=f(x-)
the next best thing is if
f(x)=(f(x-)+f(x+))/2

The value H(0)= 1/2 is convenient but really irrelevant. H(0) is still distcontinuous at 0. Since the crucial point with distributions is their integral properties values at individual values of x are not important.

What is the derivative of an integral containing a Dirac delta?

The derivative of an integral containing a Dirac delta is equal to the value of the integrand at the point where the delta function is located.

How do you calculate the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta?

To calculate the derivative, first identify the point where the Dirac delta function is located. Then, evaluate the integrand at that point. This will be the value of the derivative.

Is the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta always zero?

No, the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta is not always zero. It is only zero if the integrand is constant at the point where the delta function is located.

Can the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta can be negative if the integrand is decreasing at the point where the delta function is located.

How is the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta used in physics?

In physics, the derivative of an integral with a Dirac delta is used to model impulse or instantaneous changes in a system. It is also used in the calculation of certain types of forces, such as electromagnetic forces, which are represented by delta functions.