Calculating Force: Understanding the 1.5m Distance in Baseball Pitching Protest

• Thread starter Hitokiri
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force exerted by a baseball pitcher on a ball, thrown straight up in protest against an umpire's call. The pitcher moves his hand through a distance of 1.5 m, and the force is found using the formula W = F*d. The discussion also mentions the relation between speed, force, and the distance over which the force is applied.
Hitokiri
Ok, i just need to verify what this question means:

A baseball pitcher throws a ball straight up into the air at a speed of 20 m/s as a protest against the umpire's calls. In the process, he moves his hand through a distance of 1.5 m. If the ball has a mass of 0.15 kg, find the force he exerts on the ball to give it this upward speed. Note that the force of gravity is acting against the motion of the ball.

Ok, so i just have a question on what the significance of the "1.5 m " distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Work = Force X distance

I see what is going on... W= Ek so, F*s = ((m*v*v)/2) . The speed is related to the Force and the distance the force was applied over.

I new that F= m*a. so speed is related to force over time. I never really considered the distance that a force is applied over.

If Hitokiri is still visiting this forum It would be interesting to know if Tides hint was of help.

What is the purpose of understanding a question?

Understanding a question is important because it allows us to gather information, analyze it, and come up with a meaningful response. It also helps us to communicate effectively and avoid misunderstandings.

How can I improve my understanding of a question?

To improve your understanding of a question, you can practice active listening, ask for clarification if needed, and break down complex questions into smaller parts. You can also try to put yourself in the asker's shoes and consider their perspective.

What should I do if I don't understand a question?

If you don't understand a question, it's important to ask for clarification. You can politely ask the person to rephrase the question or explain it in a different way. It's better to ask for clarification than to give an incorrect response.

Why is it important to ask questions to better understand a topic?

Asking questions is a crucial part of understanding a topic because it allows us to fill in any gaps in our knowledge and gain a deeper understanding. It also shows our interest and engagement in the topic, which can lead to more meaningful discussions and learning.

How can I ensure that I fully understand a question?

To ensure that you fully understand a question, you can summarize it in your own words and ask for confirmation from the asker. You can also try to connect the question to your existing knowledge and think critically about the information being asked for.