Sets and Relations - quick one

In summary, the set (AUB) - (AnB) consists of all even integers and odd multiples of 3, but not even multiples of 3.
Natasha1
If A is the set of even integers and B the set of integers which are multiples of 3, describe the set (AUB) - (AnB) ?

Basically the answer only requires words, no Venn diagram or the lot.

So I just put in words ... it's the set which comprises of the even integers OR the odd integer which a multiples of 3 but not both.

or should I say... it's the set of even integers and multiples of three minus the set of even multiples of three.

Which is the correct answer please anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
If A is the set of even integers and B the set of integers which are multiples of 3, describe the set (AUB) - (AnB) ?
Basically the answer only requires words, no Venn diagram or the lot.
So I just put in words ... it's the set which comprises of the even integers OR the odd integer which a multiples of 3 but not both.
or should I say... it's the set of even integers and multiples of three minus the set of even multiples of three.
Which is the correct answer please anyone?
The form of your first answer is better for homework (assuming you mean odd multiples of 3), as it shows a more concrete understanding of the terminology, but it's not correct. the second answer is correct, but doesn't show that you understand the undelying set. It is the set that contains only even integers and odd multiples of 3.

AUB consists of numbers that are even or multiples of 3 (or both).
AnB consists of numbers that are multiples of 2 and 3: in other words multiples of 6.

(AUB) - (AnB) consists of all numbers that are multiples of 2 or 3 but not both.

Please don't multiple post.

Integers not numbers HallSoftIvy!

How many non-integer numbers are multiples of 3? :devil:

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of objects or elements that are grouped together based on a common property or characteristic.

2. What are the different types of sets?

The different types of sets include: finite sets, infinite sets, empty sets, and universal sets.

3. How are sets represented?

Sets can be represented using curly braces { } with the elements listed inside, or with set-builder notation, which uses a description of the elements in the set.

4. What is a relation?

A relation is a connection or association between two sets, where the elements of one set are related to the elements of the other set in some way.

5. What are the different types of relations?

The different types of relations include: reflexive, symmetric, transitive, and equivalence relations.