Maclaurin Series for ln(1+e^x) and \frac{x}{(e^x-1)}

In summary, obtaining the Maclaurin series expansion for ln(1+e^x) involves finding the derivatives of the function and plugging them into the general formula. This requires knowledge of the chain rule and quotient rule. It may seem complicated, but with practice it becomes easier to understand.
Bucky
obtain the maclaurin series expansions of the following:
[tex]ln(1+e^x)[/tex]
ok I am quite lost..i assume you set it equal to f(x) then differentiate..but what happens when you differentiate that?
also question (b) is
[tex]\frac{x}{(e^x-1)}[/tex]
does that work down to
(e^x - 1)^-x ?

and if so..would you then differentiate the whole of the bracket? but then the chain rule comes into use doesn't it? so it would be -x times e^x?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've had a go at the first part of your question, and I think I might have got somewhere with it but I'm not sure, this is what I did...
the maclaurin series for,
[tex]ln(1+x)=x-(0.5x^2)+(0.333x^3)-(0.25x^4)+...[/tex]
[tex]ln(1+y) = y-(0.5y^2)+(0.333y^3)-(0.25y^4)+...[/tex]
[tex]e^x = 1+x+((x^2)/2!)+((x^3)/3!)+...[/tex]
y = e^x
when we combine them, we get something very complicated, but is something like...
Generalised result:
[tex]\ln(1+e^x) = kx+\frac{\(n^2x^2)(-1)^(n-1)}{2!}+\frac{\(n^3x^3)(-1)^(n-1)}{3!}+...[/tex]

At the moment, I can't work out what k is, but I think I might have the rest of it (emphasis on the word think).:biggrin:
btw, I am crap at this maths symbol stuff, so if it comes out dodgy, make the most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucky said:
[tex]ln(1+e^x)[/tex]
ok I am quite lost..i assume you set it equal to f(x) then differentiate..but what happens when you differentiate that?
Do it and find out, follow the defintion of a Maclaurin's series. See what you get.
also question (b) is
[tex]\frac{x}{(e^x-1)}[/tex]
does that work down to
(e^x - 1)^-x ?

and if so..would you then differentiate the whole of the bracket? but then the chain rule comes into use doesn't it? so it would be -x times e^x?

No,
[tex]\frac{x}{(e^x-1)}= x (e^x-1)^{-1}[/tex]

use the quotient or product rule, should come out the same.

Bucky said:
[tex]ln(1+e^x)[/tex]
You could say that f(x) = ln(1+e^x) and then try to find f'(x), f''(x), et cetera. That would be an equivalent problem.

How far have you gotten in trying to differentiate it? Do you remember your rules of differentiation?

ok here's how far i got:

f(x) = ln(1+e^x)

f'(x) = (1+e^x)^(-1)

f''(x) = -(1+e^x)^(-2)

f'''(x) = 2(1 + e^x)^(-3)

f^(iv)(x) = -6(1 + e^x)^(-4)

f^(v)(x) = 24(1+e^x)^(-5)

f(0) = ln(2)
f'(0) = 1/2
f''(0) = 4
f'''(0) = 16
f^(iv)(0) = 96
f^(v)(0) = 768but now I am not sure what to do. the notes get a bit hazy at this point

Last edited:
Bucky said:
ok here's how far i got:

f(x) = ln(1+e^x)

f'(x) = (1+e^x)^(-1)
No, you haven't used the chain rule: now multiply by the derivative of 1+ ex which is ex:
[tex]f'(x)= \frac{e^x}{1+e^x}[/tex]
f''(x) = -(1+e^x)^(-2)
Since your first derivative was wrong, this is wrong (and it's not even the derivative of (1+ex)-1: again you have not multiplied by the derivative of (1+ ex).
Use the quotient rule: the derivative of [itex]\frac{e^x}{1+e^x}[/itex] is
[tex]\frac{e^x(1+e^x)- e^{2x}}{(1+e^x)^2}= \frac{e^x}{(1+e^x)^2}[/tex]
You should be able to see a pattern.
f'''(x) = 2(1 + e^x)^(-3)

f^(iv)(x) = -6(1 + e^x)^(-4)

f^(v)(x) = 24(1+e^x)^(-5)

f(0) = ln(2)
f'(0) = 1/2
These are correct
f''(0) = 4
f'''(0) = 16
f^(iv)(0) = 96
f^(v)(0) = 768
These are incorrect

but now I am not sure what to do. the notes get a bit hazy at this point
If your notes have the basic formula:
[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n[/tex]
it should not be hazy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I am just rubbish at math it seems..
quotient rule is bottom times differentiated top minus top times differentiated bottom. all divided by bottom squared. right?
so
f'''(x) = (1+e^x)^2 e^x - e^x over
2(1+e^x) + e^x

f'''(x) = e^3x-e^x over
r2+3e^x(latex ftw ¬.¬ )
i get the feeling I am deeply wrong

i read on and i see how this works now, its just differentiating e to the power of stuff (which in practical terms i doubt ill need to know but ho hum..) and applying chain/quotient rules that's getting me.

1. What is the Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x)?

The Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x) is given by:
ln(1+e^x) = e^x - \frac{e^{2x}}{2} + \frac{e^{3x}}{3} - \frac{e^{4x}}{4} + ...

2. How is the Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x) derived?

The Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x) is derived using the Taylor series expansion of ln(1+x), where x is replaced with e^x. This series is then further simplified by using the properties of exponents.

3. What is the Maclaurin series for \frac{x}{(e^x-1)}?

The Maclaurin series for \frac{x}{(e^x-1)} is given by:
\frac{x}{(e^x-1)} = 1 - \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{12} - \frac{x^4}{720} + ...

4. How is the Maclaurin series for \frac{x}{(e^x-1)} derived?

The Maclaurin series for \frac{x}{(e^x-1)} is derived using the Taylor series expansion of \frac{x}{(1-x)}, where x is replaced with e^x. This series is then further simplified by using the properties of exponents and factoring out an x.

5. What is the significance of the Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x) and \frac{x}{(e^x-1)}?

The Maclaurin series for ln(1+e^x) and \frac{x}{(e^x-1)} are important in mathematics and engineering as they provide a way to approximate these functions using a finite number of terms. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of these functions, particularly when using computer algorithms.