Using the identities to find the values of each expression

In summary, the conversation covers questions related to using identities to find the values of trigonometric functions, finding exact values, and using reference angles. The conversation also includes helpful hints and equations to help solve the problems. The main takeaway is to understand the definitions and properties of trigonometric functions to be able to solve these types of problems.
gator
Ive been given very little notes from my teahcer, and can't do these. looked online, but its was no use.

1. Using the identities to find the vales of each expression (no calc.)
(i) sin t = 15/17 , cos t = 8/17 find remaining trig functions
(ii) sec^2 Pie/12 - tan^2 Pie/12

2. Find exact value
(i) tan* = -3 , cos *>0

3.Use reference angles to find exact value (no calc.)
(i) cos 225*
(ii) sin ( -pie/6 )

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
>_<, Ahhh, you didn't show us any of your work or even your thought (how do you think you can approach the problem, and where you get stuck!).
You can https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28 to find some more information about 'old' posting rules or you can see a new version of it https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94381.
-------------------
Anyway, I'll give you a couple of hints.
For #1, what are the trig functions? How are they defined? Something like:
[tex]\tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}[/tex],...
You already have sint t, cos t, can you find out the others?
---
[tex]\sec ^ 2 \frac{\pi}{12} - \tan ^ 2 \frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]. You should know that:
[tex]\sec x = \frac{1}{\cos x}[/tex], now just convert everything to sin and cos function, then simplify the expression and you will get something really neat.
Note that:
sin2x + cos2x = 1 or 1 - sin2x = cos2x.
------------
For #2,
You know that tan x = -3 < 0, cos x > 0, now you need something that relates the tan function and the cos function, what equation is that?
Isn't it:
[tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 x = \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x}[/tex]?
(Do you know how to arrive at that equation?)
Note that cos x > 0.
-----------------
For #3,
What's [tex]\sin \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]? So can you find out what [tex]\sin -\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex] is?
You can do the same for cos 255o.
Viet Dao,

so for question 1(i) the answer is...tan t = 1.87* ?

1(ii)
1/cos Pie/12 - sinx/cosx pie /12

1 - sin2x = cos2x.

so...

1 - sin x / cosx (pie/12)^2 = (1/cosx (pie/12))^2

ahhh...im so lost

#2...dont have a sweet clue...i have no notes on this...kinda clueless

#3 is it
cos225 x 180/pie?

pie225/180pie?

=1.25?

gator said:
so for question 1(i) the answer is...tan t = 1.87* ?
1(ii)
1/cos Pie/12 - sinx/cosx pie /12
1 - sin2x = cos2x.
so...
1 - sin x / cosx (pie/12)^2 = (1/cosx (pie/12))^2
ahhh...im so lost
(i) There are other trig functions as well, what are they?
sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, cosecant.
Can you find them?
By the way, I'd write it as tan t = 15 / 8.
Note that tan t = 15 / 8 not tan t = 15 / 8o.
(ii) The bolded part is wrong.
You should note that:
[tex]\cos ^ 2 x \neq \cos (x ^ 2)[/tex]
I'll help you a bit:
[tex]\sec ^ 2 x - \tan ^ 2 x = \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x} - \frac{\sin ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \frac{1 - \sin ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \frac{\cos ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = ...[/tex].
So what's:
[tex]\sec ^ 2 \frac{\pi}{12} - \tan ^ 2 \frac{\pi}{12}[/tex]?
#2...dont have a sweet clue...i have no notes on this...kinda clueless
Here's a quick proof:
[tex]1 + \tan ^ 2 x = 1 + \frac{\sin ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \frac{\sin ^ 2 x + \cos ^ 2 x}{\cos ^ 2 x} = \frac{1}{\cos ^ 2 x}[/tex].
Now, you have tan x = -3.
Rearrange the equation a bit, you will have:
[tex]\cos ^ 2 x = \frac{1}{1 + \tan ^ 2 x}[/tex]. Can you go from here?
Note that cos x > 0.
#3 is it
cos225 x 180/pie?
pie225/180pie?
=1.25?
Nope, the cos function, and sin function will always return value in [-1, 1], and [itex]1.25 \notin [-1,\ 1][/itex].
225o is a measure unit for angle.
You can do it as:
cos(225o) = cos(180o + 45o) = ...
Can you go from here?
--------------------------
P.S: It's high recommended that you go back and re-read the book. :wink:
Viet Dao,

Last edited:

1. How do I use identities to find the values of an expression?

To use identities, you must first identify the type of identity that applies to your expression. Then, replace the variables in the identity with the corresponding values from your expression. Finally, simplify the expression using algebraic principles to find the final value.

2. What are the most commonly used identities in finding values of expressions?

The most commonly used identities are the distributive property, the commutative property, the associative property, and the identity and inverse properties for addition and multiplication. These properties allow for simplification and rearrangement of expressions to find their values.

3. Can identities be used to find values of complex expressions?

Yes, identities can be used to find values of complex expressions. The key is to break down the expression into smaller parts and apply the appropriate identity to each part. Then, combine the simplified parts to find the final value.

4. Are there any specific rules to follow when using identities to find values of expressions?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when using identities. First, the order of operations (PEMDAS) should be followed when simplifying expressions. Second, be careful when multiplying or dividing by negative numbers as this may change the sign of the expression. Lastly, always double check your work to ensure accuracy.

5. How important is it to understand identities in finding values of expressions?

Understanding identities is crucial in finding values of expressions as it allows for simplification and manipulation of expressions, making them easier to solve. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different expressions, leading to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.