Solving Vector Equations: A-4C+D, Multiplying Vectors & More

In summary, the conversation discussed how to work with vectors in polar form. The question was how to simplify an expression that involves vectors, such as A-4C+D. The conversation also touched on the use of unit vectors i and j to represent the x and y axes, and k for the z axis in 3D. The conversation also mentioned using trigonometry to solve for vector lengths and the use of absolute value when working with vectors in different quadrants. The conversation concluded with a mention of using vectors in physics and the lack of assigned readings in the class.
DB
when a question gives u vectors in polar form, calling them A,B,C,D then askes you to simply for example: A - 4C + D, what am i supposed to do? is it just vector sum and difference? how do i multiply a vector by 4?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
4(xi+yj+zk)=4xi+4yj+4zk

sry i didnt mention we were working in 2D, but wat are i and j?

i and j is the subscript used to designate the x and y axis

o i see, sry to be a pain in the butt, but then wat are x and y?

the coefficients of i and j

As used above, i and j, represent unit vectors, i in the x direction, j in the y. In 3d you also have k, the unit vector in the z direction.

I would assume that you are taking some form of a math class, have you read your text?

so 4 * Vector 25, 340 degrees would be 4(23.5+8.6) aproxx??

Integral said:
As used above, i and j, represent unit vectors, i in the x direction, j in the y. In 3d you also have k, the unit vector in the z direction.
I would assume that you are taking some form of a math class, have you read your text?

physics, my teacher hasnt given us any reading, he just said see if u can get these problems

is 4(23.5+8.6) right? wat i did was set up the the vector on a cartesian plane and use trig to solve the lenghts, would it be 4(23.5+ -8.6) because the triangle is in the 4th quadrant, or would i take the absolute value?

If you are trying to work out 4V as a vector, and V is something at 340 degrees, and at a magnitude of 25, then the vector can be written as
[tex]v = 4(23.5i-8.6j) [/tex]
(approx). The i and j are there to show they are the different components of v.
By the way, I hate this latex thing, I was trying to get the i and j go bold in tex mode, but failed, oh well.

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that contains multiple vectors and represents a relationship between them.

2. How do you solve a vector equation?

To solve a vector equation, you need to isolate the vector you are solving for by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

3. What is the difference between multiplying vectors and multiplying scalars?

Multiplying vectors involves finding the dot product or cross product between two vectors, while multiplying scalars involves multiplying a scalar (a number) by each component of a vector.

4. Can you solve a vector equation with more than two vectors?

Yes, a vector equation can have any number of vectors as long as there is a relationship between them. The process for solving may become more complex with more vectors.

5. Why are vector equations important in science?

Vector equations are important in science because they allow us to mathematically represent and analyze relationships between multiple vectors. This is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.