Is Chemistry Required for Computer Science Engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether chemistry is required for computer science engineering in universities. The answer is that each institution has its own requirements, but most universities do require a semester of college chemistry, which usually requires high school chemistry.
electro100110
hey...can anybody help me out...Im an IB student and I wanted to know whether chemistry is required for computer science engineering or not?

Physics news on Phys.org

Please elaborate, you question is so vague it doesn't make much sense to me.

It is a straight forward question whether the universities require undergraduates to do some chemistry courses(in high school[11th and 12th grade]) for computer engineering or not?

electro100110 said:
It is a straight forward question whether the universities require undergraduates to do some chemistry courses(in high school[11th and 12th grade]) for computer engineering or not?

Each school has its own degree requirements. You'll have to check with the institution to find out.

Most require a semester.

EDIT: Since thread title changed slightly. Most universities require a semester of college chemistry which normally requires high school chemistry.

Last edited:

(Moderator note -- I added to the thread title "Chemstry" to make it more descriptive of the thread content...)

1. Is a background in chemistry necessary for computer science engineering?

No, a background in chemistry is not necessary for computer science engineering. While some knowledge of chemistry may be useful in certain areas of computer science, it is not a requirement for pursuing a career in this field.

2. Are there any connections between chemistry and computer science engineering?

Yes, there are some connections between chemistry and computer science engineering. For example, cheminformatics is a field that combines chemistry and computer science to analyze and model chemical data. Additionally, computer science can be used in chemical research and analysis to process and analyze large amounts of data.

3. Will studying chemistry help me in my computer science engineering career?

Studying chemistry may help you in your computer science engineering career in certain areas, such as cheminformatics or computational chemistry. However, it is not necessary for success in the field and other areas of computer science may be more relevant to your career.

4. Can I pursue a degree in computer science engineering without taking any chemistry courses?

Yes, you can pursue a degree in computer science engineering without taking any chemistry courses. While some universities may require a few chemistry courses as part of their general education requirements, there are many programs that do not have any chemistry requirements.

5. Are there any career paths in computer science engineering that specifically require knowledge of chemistry?

There are some career paths in computer science engineering, such as cheminformatics or computational chemistry, that may specifically require knowledge of chemistry. However, there are many other career paths in computer science that do not have any specific requirements for chemistry knowledge.