Preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set under a Lebesgue measurable function.

In summary: It's kind of ironic that I didn't mention what type of measurability I was referring to, isn't it? I meant Lebesgue-Borel.
GSpeight
I've been doing a little work with Borel measures and don't want to confuse Borel measurable functions with Lebesgue measurable functions for R^n -> R^m.

I'm, of course, familiar with the definition that a function f:R->R is Lebesgue measurable if the preimage of intervals/open sets/closed sets/Borel sets is Lebesgue measurable.

We also say a function between general measurable X, Y spaces is measurable if the preimage of a set in the sigma algebra corresponding to Y is in the sigma algebra corresponding to X.

For a Lebesgue measurable function f:R->R is it necessarily true that the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set is Lebesgue measurable? I don't see that this need necessarily be the case.

Am I correct in thinking that a Lebesgue measurable function f:R->R is a measurable function from R with the Lebesgue sigma algebra to R with the Borel sigma algebra (and NOT the Lebesgue sigma algebra)?

I'd be very grateful if anyone could clear up my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an excellent question. The answer is yes: the common definition of a "Lebesgue measurable function" from R to R is really a Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable function. There are examples of functions from R to R which are Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable, but which fail to pull back Lebesgue measurable sets to Lebesgue measurable sets. Here's an example:

Let g:[0,1]->R denote the http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/CantorFunction.html , and extend it to all of R by defining g(x)=0 if x<0 and g(x)=1 if x>1. Then set h(x)=x+g(x). This function has a lot of peculiar properties. For our purposes, we only need the following two:
1) h is a bijection, and
2) if C is the cantor set, then the Lebesgue measure of h(C) is 1.

It's a standard fact that a set of positive Lebesgue measure has a nonmeasurable subset. So let W be a nonmeasurable subset of h(C). The pullback V=h-1(W) is a subset of the Cantor set, hence has measure zero.

Finally, let f=h-1. f is a Lebesgue-to-Borel measurable function. However, f-1(V)=h(V)=W is not Lebesgue measurable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the explanation and example! It's clear now.

The link you gave mentions the usual calculus formula for arc length doesn't work even though the cantor function is a curve differentiable almost everywhere. Is it sufficient for the curve to be Lipschitz continuous in order for the usual formula (as a Lebesgue integral) to be valid or do I need it to be Lipschitz and injective?

Thanks again.

To be honest I'm not very familiar with how the arc length formula carries over to the Lebesgue integral. I would guess that we need some sort of absolute continuity (which the Lipschitz condition guarantees). So you probably don't need injectivity.

I want to make an addendum to post #2. Property (1) should have read "h is a homeomorphism (i.e. a continuous bijection with a continuous inverse)" instead of just "h is a bijection". This makes the fact that f is measurable transparent.

And here's a fun problem for you to think about: if f:R->R is measurable and invertible, is its inverse necessarily measurable?

Surely not? In your example f is measurable but but f^-1 isn't :D

Thanks again for your help :)

GSpeight said:
Surely not? In your example f is measurable but but f^-1 isn't :D

I think its worth mentioning that in that example f is Lebesgue-to-Borel (and Borel-to-Borel) measurable, as is its inverse, and in fact any continuous function. It's just that f is not Lebesgue-to-Lebesgue (or Borel-to-Lebesgue) measurable.

However I think, h=f-1 will be Lebesgue-to-Lebesgue measurable, but not Borel-to-Lebesgue measurable (exercise!).

Last edited:
morphism said:
And here's a fun problem for you to think about: if f:R->R is measurable and invertible, is its inverse necessarily measurable?

I think that's an interesting question, but which of the different definitions of measurability are you referring to?
Borel-Borel, Lebesgue-Borel, Lebesgue-Lebesgue. All gets a bit confusing after a while!

Edit: if you mean Borel-Borel then the answer is yes, but the proof I know is a rather complicated one involving analytic subsets of Polish spaces, and uses the result that a set is Borel if and only if both it and its complement is analytic.

gel said:
I think that's an interesting question, but which of the different definitions of measurability are you referring to?
Borel-Borel, Lebesgue-Borel, Lebesgue-Lebesgue. All gets a bit confusing after a while!
It's kind of ironic that I didn't mention what type of measurability I was referring to, isn't it? I meant Lebesgue-Borel. And as you noted, f won't do as a counterexample.

1. What is the definition of a preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set under a Lebesgue measurable function?

The preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set A under a Lebesgue measurable function f is the set of all points in the domain of f that map to points in A. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that produce outputs within the Lebesgue measurable set A.

2. Why is it important to study preimages of Lebesgue measurable sets?

Studying preimages of Lebesgue measurable sets is important because it allows us to understand how a function maps sets in its domain to sets in its range. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, including measure theory, topology, and functional analysis.

3. How is the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set related to the Lebesgue measure?

If a Lebesgue measurable function f maps a Lebesgue measurable set A to a Lebesgue measurable set B, then the preimage of B under f, denoted by f-1(B), is also a Lebesgue measurable set. Additionally, the Lebesgue measure of f-1(B) is equal to the Lebesgue measure of B.

4. Can the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set be a non-measurable set?

Yes, it is possible for the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set to be a non-measurable set. This can occur when the function f is not injective, meaning that multiple inputs can map to the same output. In this case, the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set may contain both measurable and non-measurable sets.

5. Are there any other types of preimages besides the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set?

Yes, there are other types of preimages, such as the inverse image and the preimage of a Borel set. These concepts are similar to the preimage of a Lebesgue measurable set, but they involve different types of sets and functions.