Can ln(-1) be equal to 0?

• Thread starter alba_ei
  • Start date
In summary: So, \log_a b = \frac{\log_c b}{\log_c a} for any c > 0 is still true. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the logarithm function for negative numbers and complex numbers. It is noted that the natural logarithm function is not defined for negative real numbers, and while it is defined for complex numbers, it does not follow the same rules as for real numbers. The conversation also touches on the use of different bases for logarithms.
alba_ei
ln(-1) = 0 ?!

supposed that we have

[tex] \ln(-1) [/tex]

then
[tex] \frac{2}{2}\ln(-1) [/tex]

so

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\ln(-1)^2 [/tex]

this is equal to

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\ln(1) [/tex]

and if this is equal to 0 the we can say that

[tex] ln(-1) = 0 [/tex]

is this right , wrong, are there any explanations for this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The rule of logarithms is a lnx=lnxa. In this case, a=1-- you cannot split it into a fraction and then only take the numerator!

If you look at the logarithm graph, you will see that the function is not defined for negative x.

It's wrong. ln(-1) is no longer a real number, so you can't treat it like one. This is like saying sqrt(-1) = (-1)1/2 = (-1)2/4 = ((-1)2)1/4 = 11/4 = 1.

cristo said:
The rule of logarithms is a lnx=lnxa. In this case, a=1-- you cannot split it into a fraction and then only take the numerator!
Actually, that step is perfectly valid in general - (a/a) ln(x) = 1/a ln(x^a), i.e. when everything is defined. Your next line explains why it's not valid here:
If you look at the logarithm graph, you will see that the function is not defined for negative x.

morphism said:
Actually, that step is perfectly valid in general

Course it is; sorry!

cristo said:

Really? Why can't one say that ln(-1)= i pi, for e^(i pi) = -1.
Or is there something wrong with that line of logic?

logarithm is defined also for complex numbers.
ln(z)=ln(abs(z))+i*arg(z), where z is complex number, abs(z) is complex norm of complex number z, and arg(z) is its argument.
So if -1 is treated as complex number -1+0*i, expression ln(-1) gives sense, but the identity a*ln(z)=ln(z^a) is no longer true.

To satisfy the pedants, I shall re-phrase my above answer. The natural logarithm function, whose argument is a real number and to whom we can apply the standard laws of logarithms, is not defined for negative real numbers.

for complex z: Ln(z) = ln(|z|) + i*Arg(z)

so ln(-1) = ln(|-1|) + i*Arg(-1) = i*pi

Last edited:
JonF said:
for complex z: Ln(z) = |z| + i*Arg(z)

so ln(-1) = |-1| + i*Arg(-1) = 1 + i*pi
Really? If you were attempting to define the principal branch of Ln, then it ought to be Ln(z) = ln(|z|) + iArg(z), where ln is just the natural logarithm on the reals.

In this case, we have Ln(-1) = ln(|-1|) + iArg(z) = i*pi.

eh forgot the ln, fixed

JustinLevy said:
Really? Why can't one say that ln(-1)= i pi, for e^(i pi) = -1.
Or is there something wrong with that line of logic?

Cristo said, "for negative x". Since the complex numbers are not an ordered field, there are no "negative" complex numbers. Cristo was clearly talking about real numbers.

[tex]\log_e -1 = i\pi + 2ki\pi, k\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] Case Closed.

Gib Z said:
[tex]\log_e -1 = i\pi + 2ki\pi, k\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] Case Closed.
is the logarithm of complex numbers defined for any other base except 'e'?

Yes, you can still change between various different bases for your logarithms in the same manner as you do for Real numbers.

What does "Ln(-1) = 0" mean?

Ln(-1) = 0 is a mathematical expression that represents the natural logarithm of -1 being equal to 0. This means that the logarithm of -1 to the base of e (Euler's number) is equal to 0.

Why is the natural logarithm of -1 equal to 0?

The natural logarithm of a negative number is undefined in the real number system, since there is no real number that can be raised to a power to give a negative result. However, in complex analysis, the natural logarithm of -1 is defined as 0, as it is part of a complex number solution.

What is the significance of Ln(-1) = 0 in mathematics?

Ln(-1) = 0 has several important applications in mathematics, including in the study of complex numbers, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. It is also used in various scientific fields such as physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

How is Ln(-1) = 0 calculated?

In complex analysis, the natural logarithm of -1 is calculated using the principal value of the complex logarithm, which is defined as the logarithm with the smallest imaginary part. In this case, the principal value is 0. However, there are infinitely many complex numbers that satisfy Ln(-1) = 0, known as branch points.

Can the natural logarithm of other negative numbers be equal to 0?

No, only Ln(-1) = 0. This is because -1 is the only negative number whose natural logarithm can be defined as 0 in the complex plane. For any other negative number, the natural logarithm would be undefined in the real number system.