Integral of Secant Squared over Tangent Substitution

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a definite integral and the use of substitution to simplify the integral. The final answer is confirmed to be pi, even though the calculator or math program may give an error message when trying to evaluate it. The conversation also highlights the limitations of calculators and the importance of understanding the concepts behind mathematical solutions. Some online resources, such as Maxima, can be used for evaluating definite integrals.
Schrodinger's Dog

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_\frac{-\pi}{4}^\frac{\pi}{4} \frac{sec^2(x)}{(\sqrt{1-tan^2(x)})}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I've done the substitution u=tan(x) and it neatly works out as

[tex]\int_\frac{-\pi}{4}^\frac{\pi}{4} \frac{1}{(\sqrt{1-u^2})}\rightarrow sin^{-1}(tan(x))+c[/tex]

I get 3.1416 to 4dp? Can someone check that is right, I've checked it on my calc, but when I type it into the maths program I have it throws up an error message for some reason. Just want someone to confirm I have the correct figure and that I haven't done something silly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the answer's pi.
maybe you got the error message because when doing the substitution and changing the limits the fraction is undefined for 1?

but if you go directly from the question to the answer w/o substituting you'll get pi as the answer.

Thanks for the advice and the check :smile:

It won't evaluate any value of it.

It gives the answer to the general integral as:-

[tex]\frac{1}{tan^4} \frac{\left [-2(1-tan^2(x))^{\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{2}{3}(1-tan^2(x)^\frac{3}{2}\right ]}{cos}[/tex]

Er yeah thanks nicely simplified. And when I try evaluating it with x:=pi/4 and x:=-pi/4 or any value for x for that matter it won't touch it. Apparently it finds it's own answers to be unsolvable because of an error :confused:

Last edited:
If you wish to waste your life, differentiate that expression :) If you don't want to be an idiot, then realize that calculators are fallible and not as smart as we like to think they are.

It saddens me that people have more faith in their calculator than their own logic and the work of mathematicians for over 2000 years. I like to show this to people by first showing them a hand proof of the irrationality of 2, then putting in a sufficiently accurate fraction, squaring it and reading the calculators response of 2.

Pitifully, they go looking for an error in my proof...

Gib Z said:
If you wish to waste your life, differentiate that expression :) If you don't want to be an idiot, then realize that calculators are fallible and not as smart as we like to think they are.
:rofl: nice quote!

Gib Z said:

It saddens me that people have more faith in their calculator than their own logic and the work of mathematicians for over 2000 years. I like to show this to people by first showing them a hand proof of the irrationality of 2, then putting in a sufficiently accurate fraction, squaring it and reading the calculators response of 2.

Pitifully, they go looking for an error in my proof...

:biggrin:

Well I certainly didn't have faith in the answer alone, my calculator has done some pretty weird things in the past and that mess there is not technically a calculators answer but a maths program on my pc, which naturally I thought was full of crap. If I had that much faith I would of accepted pi as the answer, it seems reasonable, but I wanted to be sure that not only was my working correct, but the calculator or more likely I hadn't typed in something weird and really the answer was pi/2.

as to why Mathcad will not except any value of x in the solution to it's own integral is anyone's guess. It's useful but sometimes it's idea of simplicity and answers and errors could only have come from a computer algorithm.

By the way does anyone know of any resource on line that does definite integrals, I know several that do indefinite ones? Just in case my software decides to go funny again.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
By the way does anyone know of any resource on line that does definite integrals, I know several that do indefinite ones? Just in case my software decides to go funny again.

Code:
(%i2) integrate((sec(x))^2/sqrt(1-(tan(x))^2),x,-%pi/4,%pi/4);
(%o2)                                 %pi

That was from maxima, if you're interested. It's an off-line app., but pretty good.

neutrino said:
That was from maxima, if you're interested. It's an off-line app., but pretty good.

eg. http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxMaxima offers an online version of maxima.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the integral of sec²(x) over tan(x)?

The integral of sec²(x) over tan(x) is equal to ln|sec(x)| + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. Why is this type of integral called "Secant Squared over Tangent Substitution"?

This type of integral is called "Secant Squared over Tangent Substitution" because the substitution u = tan(x) is used to simplify the integral into the form of sec²(u)du, which can then be easily integrated using the power rule.

3. What is the process for solving this type of integral?

The process for solving this type of integral involves using the substitution u = tan(x) to rewrite the integral in terms of sec²(u)du. After this substitution is made, the integral can be easily solved using the power rule and then substituting back in for u.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions for this type of integral?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions for this type of integral. For example, if the integral is in the form of sec²(x)dx, then the substitution u = sec(x) is used instead of u = tan(x). Also, if the integral is in the form of sec²(x)tan(x)dx, then the substitution u = sec(x) is used and an additional term of -ln|cos(x)| is added to the final answer.

5. How is this type of integral used in real-world applications?

This type of integral is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics and electrical engineering. It is often used in the calculation of work, power, and energy in physical systems, as well as in the analysis of electrical circuits and control systems.