Understanding Non-Relativistic Path Integral Formulation

In summary, the weight function should be computed between the time of first measurement and the time of second measurement for position measurements.
CPL.Luke
I'm doing a project for my quantu class on the non-relativistic path integral formulation. I took out "quantum mechanics and path integrals" feynmann, but he doesn't seem to like explaining explicitly how certain results are obtained...

so my two main questions are should the weight function exp[i/h S] be computed between the time of first measurement and the time of second measurement?

and also how do you put the integral into terms of x1,x2,x3... I don't really understand how these are defined, in the book he seemed to be describing them as points for a riemann sum but then he wrote an integral with respect to all of them and I got lost.

do you merely commput the action for some path x1(t) integrate and then attempt to integrate then multiply it by the weight function comuted for x2 and integrate with respect to x2 and simply continue this process until your done?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see this book:Quantum Field Theory,Lewis H.Ryder.It may help you to understand your questions

There is an old QM text by Beard that gives a silmple treatment of the path integral approach.

I'm primarily looking for a book that has at least one example of some simple case worked out in gory detail, just because rightnow while I know what the equation for a path integral is I have absolutely no idea how to compute it for anything.

do either of those books have the soething like that in them.

CPL.Luke said:
so my two main questions are should the weight function exp[i/h S] be computed between the time of first measurement and the time of second measurement?

Yes. For position measurements. What you actually want to do is:
1) start with a localized particle
2) let it evolve for a small time
3) examine where the particle could be now
4) for every place where it could be, repeat from step 2
5) ...until you reach your destination time
6) where you judge the probability amplitude to find the particle localized again somewhere

CPL.Luke said:
and also how do you put the integral into terms of x1,x2,x3... I don't really understand how these are defined, in the book he seemed to be describing them as points for a riemann sum but then he wrote an integral with respect to all of them and I got lost.

By means of the completeness relation for position eigenstates. This basically says: if the particle goes from x1 to x2 to x3 then the probability amplitude to go from x1 to x3 without knowing where x2 is, is a sum over all x2. It's simple: since you don't know where x2 is, you have to take every possibility into account.

CPL.Luke said:
do you merely commput the action for some path x1(t) integrate and then attempt to integrate then multiply it by the weight function comuted for x2 and integrate with respect to x2 and simply continue this process until your done?
You can think of it this way, but I guess this would be mathematically ill-defined. The (relatively) safe way to do the path integral is by the time slices (=lattice approximation) Feynman or every other textbook explains. Somehow one's considering all paths at once.

ah that helps alot, I'll go back and tr to work out the free particle again, and see if I can get the books answer

What is the non-relativistic path integral formulation?

The non-relativistic path integral formulation is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a system over time. It involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take between two points in space, and assigns a probability amplitude to each path.

How is the non-relativistic path integral formulation different from other quantum mechanical approaches?

The non-relativistic path integral formulation differs from other approaches, such as the Schrödinger equation, in that it does not require a fixed set of states or a specific wavefunction for the system. Instead, it considers all possible paths and allows for the superposition of states.

What are the benefits of using the non-relativistic path integral formulation?

The non-relativistic path integral formulation offers several advantages, including being able to handle more complex systems and providing a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics. It also allows for the calculation of transition probabilities and can be extended to include interactions between particles.

What are the limitations of the non-relativistic path integral formulation?

One limitation of the non-relativistic path integral formulation is that it only applies to non-relativistic systems, meaning those that move at speeds much slower than the speed of light. It also requires a large number of calculations, making it computationally intensive for more complex systems.

How is the non-relativistic path integral formulation used in practical applications?

The non-relativistic path integral formulation has been used in various practical applications, including in the study of quantum tunneling, the calculation of quantum mechanical effects in chemical reactions, and the simulation of quantum systems in condensed matter physics. It has also been applied in fields such as finance and economics to model complex systems.