Why is the a=dv/dt equation used in integration and when is it applicable?

• Thread starter vijay_singh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula dv=a dt in integration, specifically with the technique of substitution of variables. The formula is a mathematical representation of the derivative of v with respect to t, and can be used to simplify integration. However, it should be seen as notational garnish or garbage at this stage of education.
vijay_singh
I see in many text that a = dv/dt implies that

dv = a dt

How is that possible, can anybody please explain me. As far as i know dv/dt is a symbol for derivative of v w.r.t t and not ratio between dv and dt.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote is in differential form.

dv/dt is not a symbol. It is the mathematical formula for the derivative of v with respect to t. This is how one would show any derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.

bucher said:
dv/dt is not a symbol. It is the mathematical formula for the derivative of v with respect to t. This is how one would show any derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.

And what did I say :-)

Now, WHY can we utilize at times the dv=adt formula, in particular, WHERE is it usable?

Answer:

When doing integration with the technique called substitution of variables (i.e the "inverse" of the chain rule):

Given a=dv/dt, we have, trivially:
[tex]\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}adt=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\frac{dv}{dt}dt[/tex]
But the right-hand side can, by the theorem of substitution of variables, be reformulated, giving the identity:
[tex]\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}adt=\int_{v(t_{1})}^{v(t_{2})}dv=\int_{v_{1}}^{v_{2}}dv[/tex]

Now, by IGNORING that the limits of integration actually refers to the limits of DIFFERENT variables, we "may say" that the "integrands" are equal, i.e, adt=dv!

Thus, adt=dv should, at this stage of your education, be regarded as notational garnish (or garbage, if you like!)

1. What does the equation A= dv/dt represent?

The equation A= dv/dt represents the acceleration of an object. It shows the change in velocity (v) over a certain period of time (t).

2. How is the A= dv/dt equation derived?

The A= dv/dt equation is derived from the fundamental equation of motion, which is v=u+at. By rearranging this equation, we can get A= dv/dt, where A represents acceleration.

3. What is the unit of measurement for A= dv/dt?

The unit of measurement for A= dv/dt is meters per second squared (m/s²). This is because acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes per unit of time.

4. How is the A= dv/dt equation used in real-world applications?

The A= dv/dt equation is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the acceleration of objects in motion and is an important tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using the A= dv/dt equation?

While the A= dv/dt equation is a fundamental equation in physics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the acceleration is constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account external forces that may affect the acceleration of an object.