Ratio of 2 Gamma distributions

In summary, the ratio of two independent gamma distributed random variables, X and Y, follows a beta distribution with parameters alpha_x and alpha_y. This is known as the beta distribution of the second kind. The proof for this can be shown through a multivariate transformation using the joint distribution of X and Y. Additionally, the mean of the beta distribution is given by the formula mu = alpha/(alpha+beta).
jimmy1
If X and Y are gamma distributed random variables, then the ratio X/Y, I was told follows a beta distribution, but all I can find so for is that the ratio X/(X+Y) follows a beta distrinbution.
So is it true that X/Y follows a beta distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I found the answer (just had a bit of a brain freeze!). It is X/(X+Y), and not X/Y

X/Y does follow a beta distribution! (Assuming they have the same second parameter. This is very important). It's called the beta distribution of the second kind with parameters alpha_x and alpha_y. The F distribution is simply b*X/Y where b>0.

I'll show you why X/Y is called the beta distribution of the second kind.

Suppose X~[tex]\Gamma(\alpha_1,\beta)[/tex] and Y~[tex]\Gamma(\alpha_2,\beta)[/tex], X and Y independent. What is the distribution of [tex]U_1=\frac{X}{Y}[/tex]?

Now this is a multivariate transformation, (http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~ayoung/m2s1/Multivariatetransformations.PDF see here if you don't know how to do these), so we will use [tex]U_2=Y[/tex] as an auxillary equation.

So, [tex]g_1(x,y)=x/y[/tex] and [tex]g_2(x,y)=y[/tex] where x,y are positive reals (because they come from a gamma distribution) now it should be clear to see that [tex]g_1^{-1}(x,y)=xy[/tex] and [tex]g_2^{-1}(x,y)=y[/tex]. Note how g_1 and g_2 have range (0,+infty).

Therefore, [tex]f_{(U_1,U_2)}(u_1,u_2)=f_{(x,y)}(g_1^{-1}(u_1,u_2),g_2^{-1}(u_1,u_2))|J|[/tex]. As an exercise you can show that [tex]|J|=u_2[/tex]

Since X and Y are independent [tex]f_{(X,Y)}=f_X f_Y[/tex]

Now [tex]f_{(U_1,U_2)}(u_1,u_2)=f_x(u_1u_2)f_y(u_2)u_2=\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{\beta}(1+u_1)u_2}u_1^{\alpha_1-1}u_2^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1}}{\beta^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}\Gamma(\alpha_1)\Gamma(\alpha_2)}[/tex]

(I have done some simplifying)

Now, we don't want the pdf of (U_1,U_2) we want the pdf of U_1, so we integrate over the joint to get the marginal distribution of U_1.

[tex]f_{U_1}(u_1)=\frac{u_1^{\alpha_1-1}}{\beta^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}\Gamma(\alpha_1)\Gamma(\alpha_2)}\int_0^{+\infty}u_2^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1}e^{-\frac{1}{\beta}(1+u_1)u_2}du_2[/tex]

But the integral is just a gamma function (after we change variables). So this means that [tex]\int_0^{+\infty}u_2^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1}e^{-\frac{1}{\beta}(1+u_1)u_2}du_2=\frac{\Gamma(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)\beta^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}}{(1+u_1)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}}[/tex].

Plugging this in we get [tex]f_{U_1}(u_1)=\frac{\Gamma(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)u_1^{\alpha_1-1}}{\Gamma(\alpha_1)\Gamma(\alpha_2)(1+u_1)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}}=\frac{u_1^{\alpha_1-1}}{\beta(\alpha_1,\alpha_2)(1+u_1)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}}[/tex]

So there we go! U_1=X/Y is distributed as that. Now why is this called a beta distribution of the second kind? If you do some transformations you should see that [tex]\beta(\alpha_1,\alpha_2)=\int_0^1x^{\alpha_1}(1-x)^{\alpha_2-1}dx=\int_0^{+\infty}\frac{x^{\alpha_1-1}}{(1+x)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}}dx[/tex]

I hope someone finds this interesting ;0

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!
I desperately need a proof of the fact that x/(x+y) has a beta distribution.

alexis_k said:
Hello!
I desperately need a proof of the fact that x/(x+y) has a beta distribution.

The mean of the beta distribution is [tex] \mu=\frac{\alpha}{\alpha+\beta}[/tex]. Does this help you?

Edit: Look up the PDF and the MGF of the beta distribution. I assume you know the relationship between the gamma and beta functions. By the way, just saying x/(x+y) doesn't mean much by itself. I'm assuming it's relevant to the ratio of two independent gamma distributions.

Last edited:

What is the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions?

The ratio of 2 Gamma distributions is a mathematical formula used to calculate the ratio of the probability density functions of two Gamma distributions. It is often used in statistics and probability to compare the likelihoods of two different events occurring.

How is the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions calculated?

The ratio of 2 Gamma distributions is calculated by dividing the probability density function of one Gamma distribution by the probability density function of the other Gamma distribution. This can be represented by the formula: P(X/Y).

What is the significance of the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions in research?

The ratio of 2 Gamma distributions is significant in research because it allows for the comparison of two different probability distributions. This can be useful in determining the relative likelihood of certain events occurring and can provide insights into the underlying data.

What are some real-world applications of the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions?

The ratio of 2 Gamma distributions has various real-world applications, including in finance, biology, and engineering. It can be used to analyze stock market data, model the growth of populations, and evaluate the reliability of mechanical systems, among others.

Are there any limitations to using the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions?

While the ratio of 2 Gamma distributions can be a useful tool in many scenarios, it does have limitations. It assumes that the two distributions being compared are independent and identically distributed, and may not accurately represent more complex data sets. It is important to consider these limitations when using this formula in research or analysis.