What does this symbol stand for?

• Thread starter Lorax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, 4πε0r^2 is the 'electric permittivity of free space,' and it stands for \epsilon_0, which is the permittivity constant."
Lorax
4πε0r^2

Thats 4pi (backwards 3 0) R squared.

I forget what the backwards 3 o stands for can someone help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Backwards 3_0 thing is 'epsilon nought' or the permittivity constant.

Backwards 3_0 thing = [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex]

:smile:

"epsilon zero" i think it's called ... the permitivity of free space or something like that

[tex]\epsilon_0 = 8.854187817 \cdot 10^{-12} F/m[/tex]

It's called the "electric permittivity of free space," and commonly pronounced "epsilon-zero" or "epsilon-naught."

- Warren

chroot said:
[tex]\epsilon_0 = 8.854187817 \cdot 10^{-12} F/m[/tex]

It's called the "electric permittivity of free space," and commonly pronounced "epsilon-zero" or "epsilon-naught."

- Warren

lol thank you SO much :P helped me more than you know :P

A general rule is that weird-looking symbols are almost always Greek letters.

ideasrule said:
A general rule is that weird-looking symbols are almost always Greek letters.

Knowing what they are and what they stand for are two completely different things

Knowing it's a greek letter let's us know they used it to write letters and the like, it gives us no clue at all as to what it pertains to in physics or other maths.

Obtaining a firmer grasp of the English language will be beneficial to your ability to understand the question that has been asked :)

Lorax said:
4πε0r^2
Google searching on that returns a lot of hits. One might have the information you wanted. (I didn't dig into them)

Wikipedia searching on "ε0" returns exactly the page you wanted.

DrTravia said:
Knowing what they are and what they stand for are two completely different things

Knowing it's a greek letter let's us know they used it to write letters and the like, it gives us no clue at all as to what it pertains to in physics or other maths.

Obtaining a firmer grasp of the English language will be beneficial to your ability to understand the question that has been asked :)

His grasp seems firm enough to me. Telling the student that weird symbols are usually Greek letters is a useful addition to the exact answer given by a previous poster. Are you an information accountant?

1. What does the symbol "H" stand for?

The symbol "H" stands for hydrogen, which is a chemical element with the atomic number 1 and is the most abundant element in the universe.

2. What does the symbol "√" stand for?

The symbol "√" stands for the square root function, which is a mathematical operation that finds the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number.

3. What does the symbol "Ω" stand for?

The symbol "Ω" stands for the unit of electrical resistance, ohm. It is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm and is commonly used in electronics and circuit analysis.

4. What does the symbol "☀" stand for?

The symbol "☀" stands for the sun, which is the star at the center of our solar system. It is a source of light, heat, and energy for all living organisms on Earth.

5. What does the symbol "π" stand for?

The symbol "π" stands for the mathematical constant pi, which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14 and is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry.