HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board for Breadboard Project

• Thread starter dmorris619
  • Start date
In summary, the person purchased HMC1001 SIPs for a project but was surprised to find that the pin spacing was too small to fit in a breadboard. They are looking for a breakout board that can fit this size IC. Some options for adapting from smaller pitches include the Twin Industries 8100-SMT4 prototyping board and the Surfboard SMT adapter boardlets. The person is grateful for the timely responses from berkeman and mentions the possibility of soldering thin wires to the leads as a last resort.
dmorris619
I purchased a couple HMC1001 SIPs for a project I am working on and when they came was unpleasantly surprised that the pin spacing is too small to fit in a breadboard. Since I'm not ready to mount one in a PCB yet does anyone know of breakout board that fit this size IC. To give a sizing estimate the outer edge of two pins is approximately the same size as one hole on a breadboard.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dmorris619 said:
I purchased a couple HMC1001 SIPs for a project I am working on and when they came was unpleasantly surprised that the pin spacing is too small to fit in a breadboard. Since I'm not ready to mount one in a PCB yet does anyone know of breakout board that fit this size IC. To give a sizing estimate the outer edge of two pins is approximately the same size as one hole on a breadboard.

I use the Twin Industries 8100-SMT4 prototyping board to adapt from 0.050" centers to 0.1" centers:

http://www.twinind.com/catalog_detail.php?id=160

Twin Industries also has other prototyping boards that can adapt from smaller pitches:

http://www.twinind.com/category/prototype-boards

There is also a line of SMT adapter boardlets that I use sometimes, called "Surfboards"

http://parts.digikey.ca/1/1/42922-kit-surfboard-ic-assortment-32pc-mk-9000.html

You can follow the manufacturer link to get more info on the various surfboard adapters that are available.

thanks for your help berkeman. I'm not sure what I'd do without your extremely timely responses!

dmorris619 said:
thanks for your help berkeman. I'm not sure what I'd do without your extremely timely responses!

Glad to help. I've had to use Surfboards many times to adapt small parts for prototype use.

It isn't pretty, but in a pinch, soldering thin solid core wires (22 or 24 gauge) to leads is possible, assuming they're not too closely spaced.

What is the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board for Breadboard Project?

The HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board is a small circuit board designed to make it easier to use the HMC1001 series of integrated circuits (ICs) in breadboard projects. It allows for easy connection to a breadboard and provides convenient access to all the necessary pins of the IC.

What are the benefits of using the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board?

The HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board simplifies the process of using the HMC1001 IC in breadboard projects. It eliminates the need for messy wiring and ensures a secure connection between the IC and the breadboard. Additionally, the breakout board allows for quick and easy prototyping, making it ideal for testing and experimenting with the IC.

How do I use the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board?

To use the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board, you will need to solder the HMC1001 IC onto the breakout board. Once the IC is securely attached, you can insert the breakout board into a breadboard and begin making connections to the necessary pins. The breakout board also has labels for each pin, making it easier to identify and connect the correct pins.

Can I use the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board with other ICs?

No, the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board is specifically designed for use with the HMC1001 series of ICs. It may not be compatible with other ICs due to variations in pin layout and functionality.

Where can I purchase the HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board?

The HMC1001 SIP Breakout Board can be purchased from various electronics suppliers and online retailers. It is important to ensure that you are purchasing the correct version of the breakout board for your specific HMC1001 IC. You may also be able to find the breakout board at local electronics stores or through online marketplaces.