Ideal Gas Mixtures: Dalton vs Amagat Models

In summary: The Dalton and Agamat models of ideal gas mixtures are based on different assumptions - common temperature and volume for the Dalton model, and common temperature and pressure for the Agamat model. This can lead to conflicting concepts of partial pressure and partial volume. In experimental work, converting from an equivalence ratio to a percent volume can cause confusion between these two models. However, as a conceptual model, the Agamat model works well despite not accurately reflecting reality. In summary, the Dalton and Agamat models of ideal gas mixtures have conflicting assumptions and concepts of partial pressure and partial volume, causing confusion in experimental work.
Saladsamurai
Hello all! :smile: You know, I thought I knew something about ideal gas mixtures, but now I am not so sure. I am reading through a section of a text that discusses the Dalton and the Agamat models of ideal gas mixtures. I will briefly describe each:

Dalton Model: The underlying assumption is that each mixture component behaves as an ideal gas as if it were alone at the temperature T and volume V of the mixture. Hence, can apply the ideal gas relation to both the mixture and each component to arrive at

[tex]\frac{p_i}{p} = \frac{n_iRT/V}{nRT/V} = \frac{n_i}{n} = y_i \qquad(1)[/tex]

Agamat Mode: The underling assumption is that each mixture component behaves as an ideal gas as if it existed separately at the pressure P and temperature T of the mixture. Hence,

[tex]\frac{V_i}{V} = \frac{n_iRT/P_i}{nRT/P} = \frac{n_i}{n} = y_i \qquad(2)[/tex]

Now the 2 models just described are based on 2 different assumptions and it would seem as though the 2 assumptions are conflicting with each other. That is, since the Dalton model assumes common T and V, it gives rise to the concept of a partial pressure. And again, since the Agamat model assumes common T and P, it gives rise to the concept of partial volumes.

This would suggest that if I am doing calculations with an ideal gas mixture, I can only talk about partial pressures OR partial volumes and not both.

Does this make sense to anyone? I would like to clarify this because I am doing some experimental work, and I need to converto from an equivalence ratio to a percent volume and that is how all of this confusion started.

Physics news on Phys.org
Makes sense to me. Conceptually, I don't see how partial volumes would correspond to reality, since the molecules are free to move anywhere within the confines of the container. But as a model it works fine.

AM

1. What is the difference between the Dalton and Amagat models for ideal gas mixtures?

The Dalton model states that the total pressure of an ideal gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture. In contrast, the Amagat model states that the total volume of an ideal gas mixture is equal to the sum of the individual volumes of each gas in the mixture.

2. Which model is more accurate for describing ideal gas mixtures?

Both the Dalton and Amagat models are equally accurate for ideal gas mixtures. However, the Dalton model is more commonly used in chemistry and physics, while the Amagat model is more commonly used in engineering.

3. How do the Dalton and Amagat models account for non-ideal behavior in gas mixtures?

The Dalton and Amagat models assume that gases in a mixture behave ideally, meaning that there are no interactions between the individual gas particles. However, in reality, there are often interactions between gas particles, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. To account for this, more complex equations, such as the Van der Waals equation, are used.

4. Can the Dalton and Amagat models be used for mixtures of non-ideal gases?

Yes, the Dalton and Amagat models can be used for mixtures of non-ideal gases as long as the individual gases behave ideally. However, if any of the gases in the mixture exhibit non-ideal behavior, more complex equations must be used.

5. How are the Dalton and Amagat models related to the ideal gas law?

The Dalton and Amagat models are both based on the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. The Dalton model uses this equation to calculate the partial pressures of each gas in the mixture, while the Amagat model uses it to calculate the individual volumes of each gas in the mixture.