Converting MIPS Instructions to Binary: A Guide for Computer Assembly Students

• Thread starter basketball853
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary Mips
In summary, to convert MIPS instructions into binary, you need to understand the format of the instructions and the encoding for registers and operands. The ADDI instruction has an op code of 001000, with the source and destination registers following, and the immediate value in two's complement form. The SW instruction has an op code of 101011, with the source and destination registers and the offset in bytes following. The offset for 4($SP) is 4, and the size of a machine word is 32 bits. By understanding these components, you can successfully convert MIPS instructions into binary code.
basketball853
Hey Guys! Thank you for checking out my Thread... I am taking a computer assembly class and i have homework due on Wed but i am stuck on a single problem. I have to convert MIPS instructions into binary, I want to learn how to do this because it will be on a test... and i could just go into Mars and assemble the code and read it from there but i want to know how to do it... okay soo the instructions are:
addi $sp, $sp, -8
sw $ra, 4($sp)

Now from looking into my book i see that addi has an Opcode of 001000 and it has a I instruction format...
Also sw has an Opcode of 101011 and is an I instruction format

How do i figure out what registers $sp?, $ra, the array 4($sp) are in binary? Please help... i would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
basketball853 said:
Hey Guys! Thank you for checking out my Thread... I am taking a computer assembly class and i have homework due on Wed but i am stuck on a single problem. I have to convert MIPS instructions into binary, I want to learn how to do this because it will be on a test... and i could just go into Mars and assemble the code and read it from there but i want to know how to do it... okay soo the instructions are:
addi $sp, $sp, -8
sw $ra, 4($sp)

Now from looking into my book i see that addi has an Opcode of 001000 and it has a I instruction format...
Also sw has an Opcode of 101011 and is an I instruction format

How do i figure out what registers $sp?, $ra, the array 4($sp) are in binary?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture, in the section titled Compiler register usage. $sp is the stack pointer, and its value in MIPS instructions is $29. $ra is return address; its value is $31.

4($sp) would be an address on the stack - $sp + 4*(size of a machine word).

Here's another link to a site that lists the instructions and what they look like in binary - http://www.mrc.uidaho.edu/mrc/people/jff/digital/MIPSir.html.

For your ADDI instruction, the constant to be added is -8, which will need to be written in two's complement form.

Thank you for your reply... i have already checked those sites out... but they have not helped me at all...

So how do i go about converting it into binary code? i think i am missing the simple concept...

So i take Addi for instance and use its opcode... okay cool got that done but what about the registers?
all it says on that website is: Used to add sign-extended constants (and also to copy one register to another: addi $1, $2, 0), executes a trap on overflow
001000ss sssttttt CCCCCCCC CCCCCCCC

what the hell does that mean lol

This -001000ss sssttttt CCCCCCCC CCCCCCCC - shows how the instruction op code and registers and operands are encoded to make up an ADDI instruction.

First 6 bits - the instruction opcode (001000 for ADDI)
Next 5 bits - the source ($2 in your example)
Next 5 bits - the destination ($1 in your example)
Next 16 bits - the immediate value

ADDI effectively does this $t = $s + imm. value

So if you wanted to add 5 plus the value in $t1 to $t2, the MIPS assembly instruction would be:
ADDI $t2, $t1, 5

Note that the numbers associated with $t0 and $t1 are 8 and 9.

The binary form of this instuction would be
Code:
001000 01001 01000 0000000000000101
opcode
...| $t1..|
...| $t0.|
.....|...5....|

Thank you again for clarifying that...but what if there is no value for the registers i see that i have a constant of -8 which i would use two's complement but for the other $sp register is it defaulted at 0?

Are you asking about ADDI $sp, $sp, -8?

What do you mean "but for the other $sp register is it defaulted at 0"

Yes i am

addi $sp, $sp, -8
would that in the end turn to be (opcode) 001000 (default 0 for $sp) 00000 (default 0 for $sp) 00000 1111111111110111 (-8)

basketball853 said:
Yes i am

addi $sp, $sp, -8
would that in the end turn to be (opcode) 001000 (default 0 for $sp) 00000 (default 0 for $sp) 00000 1111111111110111 (-8)

0 is not the number for $sp, so the parts with 00000 and 00000 are not right. This link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture- tells you the numbers of all the registers. I also told you what it was in post #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
oohhh i think i may understand... so the value of $sp ( the stack pointer) is $29 sooo
it would be

001000 11101 11101 111111111111011
opcode $sp $sp -8 constant

did i correctly get the value?

okay SWEET! soo and for the other one i got
101011 11111 11111 how do i figure out the 4($sp) ?

you stated before "4($sp) would be an address on the stack - $sp + 4*(size of a machine word)."

so do i take 29 + 4 * ( idk what the size of word is) ?

sw $ra, 4($sp)

What this is doing is to store the word (== 32 bits) at $sp + 4 to the $ra register.

The size of a machine word seems to be 32 bits, since that's the size of the encoded instruction. Let's go with that assumption.

According to the reference I cited, the encoded instruction is
101011 sssss ttttt iiii iiii iiii iiii.

Here, the s bits hold the source register, the t bits the destination register, and the i bits the offset from the source register. I am thinking now that the offset is in bytes, so we use the offset as-is.

So the number for $sp is $29, the number for $ra is $31, and the offset is 4. I think this is the encoded instruction for SW $RA, 4($SP)
101011 11101 11111 0000 0000 0000 0100
The first 6 bits are the SW instruction. The next 5 bits are the source register, $SP. The next 5 bits are the $RA register, and the last 16 bits are the offset, which is 4.

Thank you so much for your help! You have really helped me understand this! I am very grateful!

You're very welcome. Thanks are always appreciated!

1. How do I convert Mips to binary?

To convert Mips to binary, follow these steps:
1. Break the Mips instruction into its individual parts (opcode, registers, immediate values, etc.)
2. Convert each individual part into binary according to its corresponding binary representation
3. Combine all the binary parts together to form the final binary representation of the Mips instruction.

2. What is the purpose of converting Mips to binary?

The purpose of converting Mips to binary is to translate human-readable instructions into a machine-readable format. This allows a computer or processor to understand and execute the instructions accurately and efficiently.

3. Are there any tools or programs to help with converting Mips to binary?

Yes, there are several tools and programs available that can help with converting Mips to binary. These include online converters, Mips to binary conversion software, and even text editors with built-in conversion features.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when converting Mips to binary?

Some common mistakes to avoid when converting Mips to binary include:
- Forgetting to convert all parts of the instruction, leading to an incomplete binary representation
- Mixing up the binary representation of different parts of the instruction
- Not paying attention to the specific Mips instruction format, which can result in incorrect binary conversion.

5. Is it possible to convert binary back to Mips?

Yes, it is possible to convert binary back to Mips. This process is known as disassembling and involves reversing the steps of converting Mips to binary. There are also tools and programs available that can help with this process.