Work done by force (Vector notation)

In summary, the work done by a force of (2x)i N + (3)j N with x in meters, moving a particle from a position (initial) = (2m)i + (3m)j to a position (final) = (-4m)i + (-3m)j, is -6 J. This is found by taking the difference between the final and initial positions and plugging them into the integral of the force equation, yielding a displacement vector of (-6,-6) and a work value of -6 J.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

How much work is done by a force= (2x)i N + (3)j N with x in meters, that moves a particle from a position (initial) = (2m)i + (3m)j to a position (final) = (-4m)i + (-3m)j?

Answer:
- 6 J

Homework Equations

Work = integral of Force

The Attempt at a Solution

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
W = 12 i -18 j
W magnitude = 21.6J

I realize I am doing this wrong becasue the Magnitude will always be positive and the answer (from back of book) is negative.

I tried this in a similar way where I took the difference between the two position vector and then placed it in the integral
rd = (-6) i + (-6) j
Got W = 36 i + 18 j
still wrong.

Help, pretty please?

Physics news on Phys.org
To save typing all the i's and j's, I'll use the notation (2,3) = 2i + 3j. I'll also cut corners by leaving out the units.

Assuming the movement is in a straight line, we can parameterize the particle's path from the initial point (2,3) to the final point (-4,-3) by an equation such as

[tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x,y) = (2,3) - t(6,6), \enspace 0 \leq t \leq 1.[/tex]

-(6,6) is the displacement vector from the initial point to the final point, that is, the difference between them.

Then [itex]x=2-6t[/itex], and

[tex]d\mathbf{r} = (dx,dy) = -(6,6) dt.[/tex]

So

[tex]\int_{\mathbf{r}(0)}^{\mathbf{r}(1)} \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{(2,3)}^{(-4,-3)}(2x,3) \cdot (dx,dy) = \int_{0}^{1}(42-72t) \; dt = -6[/tex]

Rasalhague said:
[tex]=\int_{(2,3)}^{(-4,-3)}(2x,3) \cdot (dx,dy) = \int_{0}^{1}(42-72t) \; dt = -6[/tex]

Thank you Rasalhague. But how did you get from (2x,3) to (42-72t)? I don't understand.

Oopsh, sorry, I missed out a minus in front of the integral on the right. Are the following steps clear?

[tex]x = 2 - 6t[/tex]

[tex](2x,3) = (2(2-6t),3) = (4-12t,3)[/tex]

[tex](4-12t,3) \cdot (-6,-6) = -6(4-12t) - 18 = -42 + 72t.[/itex]

-(6,6) comes from differentiating [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex].

Rasalhague said:
Oopsh, sorry, I missed out a minus in front of the integral on the right. Are the following steps clear?

[tex]x = 2 - 6t[/tex]

[tex](2x,3) = (2(2-6t),3) = (4-12t,3)[/tex]

[tex](4-12t,3) \cdot (-6,-6) = -6(4-12t) - 18 = -42 + 72t.[/itex]

-(6,6) comes from differentiating [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex].

Hi Rasalhague. Thank you for helping me.

My test is this Wednesday, but I have lots of other tests so sorry about the delay.

A couple things:

1) where did time come from? The question never mentioned it- only position.

2) I understand this:
r = (-6) i + (-6) j
r = -(6,6)

3) where does this come from: x=2-6t (I think this is an extension of being confused about the time)?

Why is integral not (x^2)i + (3x) j ?

Thank you again for your help and I am sorry if I am difficult.

The reason time confuses me is that isn't POWER change in work over time? I thought the difference between Force and power is whether your taking the derivative of work with respect to time or with respect to position...?

Okay, I figured out what I did wrong. I had this part right:

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
W = 12 i -18 j

What I needed to do was subtract 18 from 12
W = 12 - 18 = -6 (answer!)

I wasn't doing this becasue I thought they were sepearte becasue of the separate components. Wow, I can't believe I was so close for so long!

I still don't completely understand why you just add i and j together to find work instead of finding the magnitude... but it works for many similar book problems so I know this is the right way to do it.

Thanks for the help. :)

What is work done by force?

Work done by force is the measure of the energy transferred to an object when a force is applied to it, causing it to move in the direction of the force.

How is work done by force calculated?

The work done by force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Mathematically, it can be represented as W = F * d * cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by force?

The unit of measurement for work done by force is joules (J). This can also be represented as Newton-meters (N*m), where N is the unit of force and m is the unit of displacement.

What is the difference between work done by force and power?

Work done by force is a measure of energy transfer, while power is the rate at which work is done. Work done by force is calculated by multiplying the force by displacement, whereas power is calculated by dividing work by time. Additionally, work is a scalar quantity, whereas power is a vector quantity.

What are some real-life examples of work done by force?

Some examples of work done by force in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, lifting weights, and using a hammer to drive a nail into a piece of wood. In scientific contexts, work done by force can be seen in the motion of planets around the sun, the movement of muscles in the human body, and the transfer of energy in a chemical reaction.